Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Unhappy I need to vent *le sigh*

I posted the following in my journal today. :/

I really want a donut. Or some ice cream. Or some brownies. Or a chocolate chip cookie. No I don't, I don't want to set my weight loss and muscle gain back. Yes I do. No I don't. Yes I do! No I don't!

Ever had these internal battles? I've been having them all flipping day long. So far the white voice of reason has won out - that and the knowledge of the pure guilt I'd have if I succumbed to the black voice of instant gratification carb-hunger. I've been fine up until this point, some minor cravings that I blew off without trouble, I don't know why it has hit me so hard today. Maybe it's PMS or the really nasty weather we are having today or the fact that I spent 4 hours in a car driving in it. I don't know but it has driven me crazy all day. Probably didn't help watching my husband (who is also overweight) scarf down an ice cream cone with our 5 yr old daughter - and then eat half of hers too! Ugh...okay, tomorrow will be a better day I hope.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I have SOOO had these internal conversations as well. For the most part, I do ok...but there are just days where I seem to crave things SO hard I feel if I don't get it I will fall apart from the inside out. Sometimes I do give in and I always feel badly for it. As it is, it was a bad week starting with Saturday and Sunday last weekend. We have 4 birthdays all in a row and I feel I've been doing nothing but "celebrating" with cake, brownies, left over steak etc. I put back on 5 pounds this week and it makes me sad.

However, it's not a surprise either...so heres to picking up the pieces and moving foward =)
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Snapless ~ I think we all battle over cravings... My only saving grace is I have a couple of low carb sweet treats that I know will satisfy my cravings...

The recipe is called Warm Brownie and it's in the south beach forum. (I don't use the SF Syrup - I use water instead)

Cottage cheese w/ cinnamon and splenda

FF Ricotta cheese w/ crystal light (orange/pineapple flavor makes it taste like a creamsicle)

You can do this!
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

One of the beautiful things about Atkins that I learned early on...don't be afraid of eating fat. Contrary to popular misconception, Atkins is not a high protein eating plan...its adequate protein, high fat. The possible cause of the cravings you're experiencing could be from not eating enough fat. Fat keeps you satisfied. Personally, I've found when I eat a "bigger" breakfast with more fat (eggs cooked in butter, bacon or sausage, heavy cream in my tea)...I feel fuller longer & stay satisfied throughout the day.

While Marathon Mom's suggestions sound tempting, SB is a different program from Atkins that allows different foods. I looked up the "warm brownie" recipe and it contains nut butter & non-fat dry milk which would not be permitted on Atkins Induction. The brownie mock danish recipe appears similiar & would be suitable for Induction:http://genaw.com/lowcarb/brownie_mock_danish.html Also, if you are doing Atkins Induction, cottage cheese nor ricotta cheese are permitted & Crystal Light contains aspartame, which Dr. Atkins advised to avoid.

You might want to check out Linda's low carb recipe site. There are many Atkins friendly recipes there, including a lot suitable for Induction that she has marked with an *
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-13-2008 at 09:35 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Snap: Looks like you have a great start to me. I don't know what plan you are followiing but I feel your pain. Sometimes you just want something dense and sweet. I'm sending you my positive mojo no matter what you are doing. Sometimes its better to make a modification if you thing you are going to binge. I'm not a sweets fan myself so that has never been my deal breaker but I can tell you, including today, after being pretty much on Atkins Plan since January 3rd...the Fritos scoops are calling me. Bought some cause DD has a friend coming over for taco salad with fritos. TORTURE. PURE TORTURE. I'm not a binger eiher though so maybe I can have just one. I will try it and report back.

Perk up. You are gorgeous.

ox
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #6  

Thank you all for your support, it made me feel better just typing it here but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had intolerable craving days.

I made it through the day, and am still not sure why it hit me so hard or why I was craving what I was. I don't normally eat sweets other than fruits and I am NOT a chocolate eater. Usually if I crave anything it is a piece of fruit - and since I'm off induction I satisfy that with a handful of berries. I think it was just PMS and/or the nasty horrible weather I had to be out in all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
which would not be permitted on Atkins Induction.
Just wanted to stress here I'm not exactly on Atkins, I'm on a variation of it by Neris & India...and I'm past induction...and yes, I eat fats, the good, healthy kinds, not the bad kinds.

I'm also on a heavy exercise plan (that I put myself on) which entails me working out 6 days a week. I think this is partially why I was having such a hard time yesterday also - I had to do basic workouts here at home instead of going to the gym like I normally do. We took that long trip yesterday (in bad weather), and when we got back - the weather got even worse and it was nighttime...no way I was driving in that. So the guilt fed into me for not doing my hour on the treadmill/elliptical/stairstepper in addition to the stretches/exercises/weight machines. I had to settle for stretches and non-weighted exercises at home.

Anyway, it's morning now (here in Japan) and I'm done with my morning coffee and breakfast, so it's off to the gym.

Thank you all again.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

YES.

Yes.

yes.

YES.

Thats how i ahev been feeling for the past 2 days.

I dont feel like i am losing weight and I am seriously considering about going back to calorie counting where i can eat and go out.

and have junk and snacky stuff that i crave.

but so far i've been good.

because what i really want is to stop dressing to cover these extra 10 lbs.

to stop feeling too fat to go out.

to stop feeling like i am not at my potential.

i want to be fit more.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Reporting Back. I'm glad you feel better knowing that everyone struggles. I had the Frito scoop with a heap of taco meat on it. Didn't lead to any binges. Didn't want anymore. Feeling relieved and virtuous. Snap your plan sounds great.

P.S. PMS makes me voracious. It makes me feel like Samantha on that episode of Bewitched where she had, "Voracious Ravenisitus" and Dr. Bombay had to come cure her.

tee hee.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #9  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Bugger - sounds like maybe the fact that your routines got messed up might have contributed to it? But brava, Snap - your weightloss plan sounds fab! How are you finding low carbing in Japan? I do love Japanese food to pieces, but I miss sushi now that I'm low carbing.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Bugger - sounds like maybe the fact that your routines got messed up might have contributed to it? But brava, Snap - your weightloss plan sounds fab! How are you finding low carbing in Japan? I do love Japanese food to pieces, but I miss sushi now that I'm low carbing.
I think it was a combination of the two. Messed up routine and PMS I mean. I haven't had any cravings (beyond my usual and normal mild fruit cravings...which are easily satisfied with a handful of berries or cherries) since.

I'm not a sushi eater. I mean, I eat it (or did) on occasion, but it was a rare thing. I do miss the rice, the corn soup, the soba noodles...but I can live without them.

I love wasabi though...but I found the most delightful (japanese brand) cheese snacks. Individually wrapped bite-sized chunks of smoked white cheddar. They come in many flavors. The two I like the most are the sausage-black pepper and the wasabi. Yes, a tiny dab of wasabi sits in the middle of a bite-sized chunk of smoked white cheddar. Yum. And 0 carbs.

I do have a favorite japanese restaurant, but I've been scared to eat at it until I can figure out the carbs of the foods I like from there. So if anyone knows:

appetizer: 1.5 cups steamed fresh soybeans in the pod
meal: vietnamese salad rolls (4). These each consist of 2 medium steamed shrimp wrapped with vietnamese lettuce into a roll wrapped with a very thin rice wrapper and served cold with a peanut sauce. The rolls measure approximately 5"-6" long and 5"-6" in diameter.
desert: none

I'm pretty sure the only thing I need to be concerned about is the sauce. Any ideas?

Pretty much anything else I can get an accurate read of it. I have a japanese friend who works in our local (american) commissary and I have him translate the nutritional information for any japanese brands before I buy them. So I know my (japanese) sweet apple tea uses stevia, not *blech* aspartame. I know my cheese snacks have 0 to 1 carbs for the entire bag (8 bite-sized pieces), depending on which 'flavor'. It's been a boon and I'm buying him some kind of gift basket when we get ready to leave.