Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/151/120

Height: 5'8

Default weight gain after stopping meds

I have been on lexapro for the last few years however I recently stopped taking it because I don't think it was doing anything (actually about 4 months ago) I have gained TONS of weight since I stopped taking it. Does anyone else have a similiar problem? I have had substance abuse problems in the past so I really hate to be on any meds. Any suggestions for overcoming depression in a natural/herbal way would be awesome!
leslie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there and Hope you can join us in the weekly chat and we can get to know you better!

I'm sorry I have no advice for you. I'm the opposite, I was on paxil and gained a fair amount of weight, I just stop taking it after about two/three years. I stopped without consulting my doc and am finding out I have to have something as I just can't handle the little "bumps" life gives me. And I don't want to go back to the way I was before paxil as it was really bad.

Before I went to the doc I did use St. John's wort. It must have done something for me as when I stopped I sure noticed, but then they changed the pills and it wouldn't work anymore. Of course a lot of people find therapy a great help and of course exercise, meditation, yoga etc. But I think finding a good doctor thats willing to work with you is the best bet as then you can work together to help you get as healthy as possible. And being healthy is the main thing. The one problem with herbs is there aren't any regulations so you never really know what you are getting. So unless you go to a proper herbal practitioner or homeopathic its hit and miss at best.

I'm starting to ramble.
Take care of yourself and I hope to "see" you around.
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #3  
How much longer?

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

I have the same question: looking for a natural/herbal way. I am on a contiuous search.

I am the opposite. I was on Lexapro until about a week ago. I can run all day long and eat healthy until I am blue in the face and I can't lose weight. I have decided to discontinue it as I believe it is what is holding the weight. This is my first week with out it and man am I irritated. I am at the point that the fat is making me depressed. I will let you know if I gain or lose the lbs.

I also have started seeing an anti-aging doc about 6 months ago. You can realate this to what suzanne somers is doing, bioidentical hormones. It is all natural. I was tested and my hormones are alll out of wack. Very high estrogen and little to no progesterone. Progesterone is a feel good hormone. After starting with this doc, my life has changed. My moods, energy, and many other things have gotten much better. This is also another reason I have decided to remove the Lexapro from my system. I have gotten better with the 'anti-aging' treatment. It is time for me to remove it as that was my goal.

Not many people agree with this type of treatment, which I understand. I was refered by a friend that did a 180% turn around from the meds/depression to this, and I have refered many friends and it has worked for them. Your would have to find someone in your area that works for you. If you would like to talk more about it or ANYTHING I am here, PM me. I would love to find away to remove the Lexapro and be happy. I don't want unnatural meds.
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote