Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Question Need help deciding which meal delivery service to pick

Hi everyone!

I am about 6 months pregnant and my weight gain has been a little out of control... My OBGYN told me yesterday that i needed to keep my daily intake between 1600-1800 cal a day. I have always had bad eating habits and so she recommended looking into meal deliveries...

So i have been trying to do my homework and i went on Noodlebean and Mr Peanut blogg and I read all their entries... All programs sound/look very tasty... (Thanks for the pics!)

Now i am also on a budget so i was wondering if you all could give me some extra information as in what is the delivery charge like for your program! I live in the DFW area so i can not go pick it up... it will have to be shipped to me...

Could you also mention how much room you need to have in your fridge/freezer for your program? as well as what is not included in your plan... like snacks, fruits, milk products... that you need to go buy on your own...

I am really pinching pennies right now but i figure i have about 3-4 months before my second child is born so it is worth the investment to make sure he gets what he needs from me...

Any tips would be great... Also if you are aware of coupons or specials, please let me know!

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Florence
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #2  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

I wish I had some good advice for you on this. I'm on one of the pricier plans, BistroMD, and I love it. So, I doubt that'll be the best fit for you, just because of the moneysaving you're looking to do. BistroMD is $195/wk. for seven days plus snacks; $145/wk. for five days with no snacks. I started on the 7 (+snacks) plan first and now am on 5 (no snacks). I'm losing a pound a week, on average (and that's with quite a few "slips" and "off-plan" eating and drinking and no exercise whatsoever -- sheesh, it's like I don't really want this to work, eh?? Ah, that's for another post).

Anyway!

Packages shipped by BistroMD are appx. 60 pounds of food and packaging on the seven day w/ snacks plan and around 40 pounds of food and packaging on the five day w/o snacks plan. Most of the BistroMD food is frozen.

This is how our freezer looked after the first shipment arrived:

Ha!

I know Noodlebean will come answer your questions. She, as you know, has that awesome blog with so much information about the various plans, reviews of the food, pros and cons for overall programs, etc. I'm sure she'll be able to answer your question about price too.

When I did my comparison shopping (and I looked into all of the home delivery plans before deciding on BistroMD), I found NutriSystem to be the cheapest (but a plan I couldn't choose, due to the wheat gluten content of nearly 95% of their foods -- a personal food sensitivity of mine), and then Diet To Go was the next cheapest after that. Then came PurFoods and Jenny Craig and BistroMD in about that order, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I think they're *all* in the neighborhood of $15 to $25 per day once you add in the cost of shipping, and the cheaper plans tend to need you to buy "supplemental" foods like yogurt or salads or milk or cheese or veggie sticks or whatever. What I liked about choosing BistroMD was that there is NO extra anything to buy, when you're on the 7 day with snacks plan. Some of the other 7 day with snacks plans still require a little extra shopping, and that -- in my opinion -- went against the whole idea of choosing a home delivery service for my diet needs.

So, I know that's not entirely helpful since you're probably not looking to do the whole BistroMD thing (and there is a $50 referral savings -- like $50 for your first week, plus $50 for the person who refers you; and then your fifth week and 12th week are each 50% off, etc.), but I figured I'd put it out there, in case it gave some perspective on the matter, when Noodlebean and other awesome 3FC posters come by to share theirs.

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy! Very exciting!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #3  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of grace View Post
I wish I had some good advice for you on this. I'm on one of the pricier plans, BistroMD, and I love it. So, I doubt that'll be the best fit for you, just because of the moneysaving you're looking to do. BistroMD is $195/wk. for seven days plus snacks; $145/wk. for five days with no snacks. I started on the 7 (+snacks) plan first and now am on 5 (no snacks). I'm losing a pound a week, on average (and that's with quite a few "slips" and "off-plan" eating and drinking and no exercise whatsoever -- sheesh, it's like I don't really want this to work, eh?? Ah, that's for another post).

Anyway!

Packages shipped by BistroMD are appx. 60 pounds of food and packaging on the seven day w/ snacks plan and around 40 pounds of food and packaging on the five day w/o snacks plan. Most of the BistroMD food is frozen.

This is how our freezer looked after the first shipment arrived:

Ha! ...
geezum... after a post like yours I think I'mma shut up and voice my opinion AFTER someone else says something short so I can try to look helpful, lol.

As for now, I'd say BistroMD or DietsToGo would be your better choices. In that order.
chinchillables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Hello Flo & thanks for your kind comments on our blog!

It's hard to know what meal delivery service will work best for someone else. Mr. Peanut and I are pretty happy with Pure Foods Fresh Start right now, but we've tried several services in our quest to find the right one. For your 1600-1800 calorie range, you are most likely going to have to add snacks to one degree or another no matter which service you choose. Diet to Go has a 1600-cal program, but the actual range is more like 1450-1650, so you'd still need to add a couple of snacks a day. Pure Foods Fresh Start and eDiets both supply only around 1000-1200 calories per day. But you can easily make up the extra calorie amounts without a lot of drama with planning & shopping if you just get fruit, dairy (like yogurt or cheese or whatever), nuts, peanut butter, and maybe the occasional 100-cal prepackaged snack.

I don't know how many cals BistroMD is, but Grace here has had a really good experience with their customer service folks so I am sure if you called them they would give you that information!

Also, I have no direct experience with this plan, but a meal delivery buddy of mine has started another blog about Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating and they seem to have calorie variations as well, so that might be an option for you! Here is her blog!

As for cost... if there are any programs local to your area (and there may be!), you can usually save a lot getting a local pickup versus having the food shipped to you. I just did a quick search and found this plan that is based in Dallas so maybe you could look into that one!

Good luck!!
noodlebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #5  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlebean View Post
I don't know how many cals BistroMD is, but Grace here has had a really good experience with their customer service folks so I am sure if you called them they would give you that information!
1050 to 1300 per day, if you do the seven days plus snacks plan. Yes, some days I add snacks to get more like 1500 calories, but the average calorie level on BistroMD seems to be around 1200, even.

Hope that helps!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #6  
Ms.Day

S/C/G: 281/155/140

Height: 5'5

Medifast is a great program I have been on it for 10mths
anewme625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #7  

Hi!

I signed up with Diettogo and received my first shipment today... Unfortunately the UPS man made it to my house at 6:40pm and the package had been in his truck since 7:00 am... Let me tell you ladies... The food was all thawed and a few meals were even busted open... i am not quite sure what to do... Does that mean all my meals will be the same way? good to throw away?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Eek! Flo, did you call DTG to ask what to do? Let us know what happened!
noodlebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #9  

Hi Noodlebean!

I called customer service the next morning and they were awesome! They said not to worry about it and that they were sorry for the inconvenience! The customer rep said that they would put more ice next time.. and they said that the next week of food would be free So it is like i did not lose any money...
Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #10  
Susan

I live in the DFW area. Try DietGourmet, they will deliver to your home and the food is good. You can choose if you want a 1200 or 1500 calorie diet. Good luck.
auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #11  

Hi auntie!

How much does Diet Gourmet cost?