Old 06-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/143/135

Height: 5´5

Default weight-loss, people not noticing:(

So I´ve lost 20 pounds and I´ve gone from a size 8-10 to a size 4-6, I personally think I look very different and my family have definitely noticed and are always commenting. But none of my friends have said a thing! I was today in school and this girl asked me if I´ve lost any weight, then this girl that I really don´t like said, really I don´t notice anything. And this girl is very thin so it´s not like she´s jealous. I don´t know why but it really hurt me, like all this effort and me thinking I look very good and then someone says this I´m trying to think that she is just being a ***** which she is, and that I´m doing this for myself and that I definitely look a lot better and more energetic, but still it hurt!
exerciserocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #2  
Low GI

Height: 5'4

I was thinking the same thing. I have only lost about 14 lbs right now but..No one has noticed...I was wondering how much ya'll lost before people started to notice???
freyabecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #3  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Exerciserocks - You were on the thin side to begin with, so maybe the loss isn't as dramatic as it would be if you were more overweight when you began. Plus, if people see you frequently, a lot of times it's hard to notice changes, unless they're VERY dramatic. But I am more than certain that you really do look fitter and thinner than you did before -- maybe that one girl (the one you don't like) noticed how great you look, but is just saying she didn't notice to be... well... unpleasant lol. Maybe she isn't JEALOUS but maybe she feels like as you get thinner and fitter, you're more "competition" to her or something dumb like that. I'm sure there are reasons you don't like this person lol.

PS: I was obviously much more overweight when you when I started losing in 2004, but even so people I see regularly didn't notice until I lost around 25 lbs. People I don't see regularly, like cousins, etc., noticed as soon as they saw me, however.

Last edited by KLK; 06-09-2008 at 08:11 AM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Im in the same place as u.... friends don't comment or notice but people I hardly see do! And then theres other peole, like my boss, who notices when I lose 5pounds!

Some people just dont know how to compliment, weird as it sounds - don't worry tho, u know u look great - you know you look better in your clothes - you know when u are wearing a size four - and the confidence will make u even more gorgeous than the weightloss itself People might not notice the weightloss cas they are too busy wondering exactly what it is thats making you glow

Btw - our stats are really similar!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

There's a difference in how you look with 20 pounds gone. There definitely is. It comes down to a couple of things, like mentioned, when someone sees you everyday, the change is slow... so it's not as noticable. Then there's the fact that even if it is noticable, people have their own motivations for saying whether or not someone else looks like they've lost weight... Especially when those people are still in school. This girl that you don't particularly like may have just been trying to rain on your parade.

Do you have a before picture? Take a picture of yourself now and take a look at yourself. I bet the comparison is astounding. You know you're making changes. And what we know about ourselves is all that matters.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #6  

thank you all for your replys I unfortunately don´t have a before picture since I didn´t allow people to take pictures of me, but I´ve seen after pictures of me and I definitely look slimmer also some people feel weird commenting on others weight-loss and I can understand that, I would feel uncomfortable telling someone I don´t know a lot wether they have lost weight.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #7  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I agree, she may well have said she couldn't tell just to hurt you. Or just to be contrarian. Who knows. Some people never notice I lose weight, or don't care to comment on it, other people are much sharper. I am sure how many pounds it takes to be noticeable it would depend where you're losing the weight, how many inches that translates to, what kind of clothes you wear that either hide your shape or emphasize it, that sort of thing. Most people seem to notice when I lose weight in my face, I guess because it makes me look a bit different.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/160/140

Height: 5'7

Unfortunately, some people are just negative and, for whatever reason (including their own insecurities) are unable to give credit where credit is due. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As nice as it is to have people acknowledge your weight loss, you have to focus on how great you feel now and don't let anyone else's negativity take that away from you!
Congratualtions to you on your weight loss - your starting weight is exacly the same as mine (and where I am now) so you are an inspiration to me!!!

Last edited by Beth in NS; 06-09-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: cause i can't freakin spell today!!
Beth in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #9  

thank you Beth that makes me feel really good And you can definitely do this! it is soooo worth the effort! it really is true that nothing tastes as good as being thin feels
Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #10  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

You know what? I'll bet that you looked good before the twenty pound weight loss- and now you are just "fine tuning" how fabulous you are! Really though- people sometimes just do not notice even large changes like this. We are too focused on ourselves-HA! I am one of these terrible people- I just saw my own brother after a few months, and he has lost 25 pounds. My first thought? He looks great today- is it the shirt? See? Stupid us, wonderful, slim you!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #11  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

i thought i was the only person i lost 21 pounds no one say noticed if i lost any weight . i feel like im doing this for myself i can care less about what the think off me . i can see for myself my face look different now i skin looking beter
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for this post! I've lost 20lbs and while granted I have a long way to go I'm noticing changes in myself - EVEN if no one else is. I was having a rough day the other day so I took a photo in the mirror to compare to a "before" picture. Again, still long way to go but I could tell in the photo that my work is paying off!
I think people also worry about offending someone if they ask about weight loss - they worry that it'll be taken as wow you look good now but before - ugh. Of course we don't feel that way.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Don't think for a second that skinny girls don't get jealous Hello, competition!
I think people probably ARE noticing, but are not comfortable acknowledging it to your face. Maybe to them it would be admitting to you that you were overweight and they don't want to do that either. In my experience, people are kinda funny about it. My best friend since the age of 11 had a really hard time talking about it. It made her really uncomfortable because I was changing, regardless if it was only on the outside (it wasn't).

You should feel really proud of your accomplishment, though! That's awesome!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #14  

Wow, really you all just made my day!! And it´s true I´m doing this for myself and I don´t need other peoples approval because *I* feel much better and *I* think I look much better! And in the end I am doing this for myself!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #15  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I was going to say the same thing another poster said! It does take time for someone who see you daily to notice! I am done about 17lbs I can see a difference and a few others but Not many people have said anything.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote