Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #1  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default My husband is asking about LapBand surgery

I checked. Our insurance does cover it.

I know nothing about it....

I told him to ask our doctor about it. I am sure she will be supportive of his choice but I am not sure it's a good choice for DH

any input?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #2  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

i think that the best thing to do is to research. know exactly what the success rates are, what the mortality and complication rates are (particularly the stats of the surgeons you check out)... and (perhaps most importanty) what the post-op lifestyle will be like (FOREVER). from everything i've read, it's going to be ROUGH. at least as rough as a regular 'diet'.

i would also suggest that he research all of the bariatric surgeries... the band may or may not be the best choice for him, depending on his habits and whatnot.

just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  
Losin' it forever!

Hi fellow Marylander!

I'd heard that if you have 100 or more pounds to lose, that the lap was not the way to go and RNY was the better option.

I had real issues with the thought of a foreign body inside me. Not sure why that bugged me more than having my insides rearranged but it did!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Both the lapband and RNY have the same 5+ year stats, about 50% of EWL (excess weight lost). You definitely lose more slowly with the lapband and especially in the beginning that can be frustrating.

For me, I did not want any long-term issues with malabsorption so was much more interested in the lap-band. The lap-band works especially well for volume eaters although either surgery with work (or not) for anyone.

My advice is to do your research and have DH list the pros and cons from his point of view of each procedure.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Alot of insurance companies won't cover it unless you have at least 80 pounds to lose and medical problems such as high bp, cholesterol, etc.

First, you need to ask your insurance company what you need to have/do in order to qualify for surgery. Then, you need to select a surgeon who will discuss the differences between lapband and gbp. It is VERY important that the doctor go over your choices with you. Everyone IS different.

In the mean time... research research research and more research, your DH needs to know the good and the bad that can happen.

Mostly don't be afraid to ask questions, especially here, the more you know the better off you are.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 05-20-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: poor writing ughhhh
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

dh weighs over 400 pounds....
we have federal bcbs that covers all but 10% if we go with a perferred doctor.... i just don't even know where to start...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Nessa,

I would say that your very first step should be finding a surgeon that participates with your benefits. If you call your provider they will be able to tell you what dr's you will be able to see. That was my first step. I sat and talked with the Dr. to see what surgery I was going to go pick. Then after I made up my mind I called my ins. co and asked them all of the steps that I had to take to meet their requirements.

The surgeons office worked everything out for me. They were wonderful at setting up some (not all) of my appointments and I was responsible for setting some of them myself. Everything went very smoothly.

I don't know but I would guess that your hubbies surgeon will help direct your way. It all falls into place. Just take it step by step and you'll be surprised how time flies by.

Best wishes,

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #8  
Queen of Everything

you can check out doctors in your area (or all over the place, if you decided he had to go to mexico for self-pay for example) on obesityhelp(dot)com - not paid testimonials or anything, but random people's experiences with them. they also list the insurance that was used for each patient.

also, i don't mean to quibble, but the facts sheet comparing surgeries that i have from my surgeon lists a pretty big difference in long term EWL, among other things. i'm not saying that it's absolutely accurate, ofcourse. but it does seem comparable to the things i've read online as well.

for example, it says EWL with the band tends to have a worldwide average of around 60%, whereas a medial RNY has closer to 80% EWL (proximal 70%, and DS 75-80%). that's significant. it also compares complications and the statistics of regain... as well as the severity of malabsorption and supplements typically necessary. it even says which are more likely to resolve/diminish which comorbitities such as diabetes - and the band is not #1 in that area. the band is however, less drastic, and many people are more comfortable with it for that reason, among others. obviously you can't believe something you read from only one source, but as i said, it seems to be fairly close to the other things i've read.

but, please don't plan his life around what i say, or anyone else here says. (i haven't even had surgery yet, i'm still learning) your first step should be to find a surgeon who you have some faith in, and see what he has to say.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Nessa
I chose the RNY b/c of the whole Foriegn body in my body thing and slippage (but thats me)
I'm not sure what insurance he takes but if you don't mind a schlep to NYC I can reccommend a doc
http://www.nycbariatrics.com/default
if you need anything PM me!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

I have to be honest I don't even know what RNY is.

our insurance is awesome... and NYC is less than 4 hours....
Old 05-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Gastric bypass, I'm so glad I did it. . .I can move!! if i can help you in any way let me know
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

well to be honest, I am NEEDING him to be RESPONSIBLE for this himself.

I can point him in the right direction and encourage him to research it and support him in his decision.... that's all I can do I won't do the work for him...

maybe i'll send him here. the problem is he's not very educated and his spelling and grammar are a bit under par... he gets embarrassed easily by this.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #13  
Queen of Everything

i can understand how he feels, but even if he just reads and researches, he can learn a LOT of stuff. there's so much information out there. most places have free seminars too, and many of them are very enlightening as far as what the different surgeries do. plus they have people there that have had each type done, usually (i've been to 2, with different docs)... and they can tell you all about their own experiences. my H went with me too - i wanted him to, so that he would know what to expect afterward, but also so that he would hear a doctor say that this is not a 'quick fix' or an easy out... it will take alot of work... and it's lifelong.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

see that's the thing I think DH thinks this will be magic for him

2 years ago he started South Beach with me and he was doing great... and then he got "tired of it"....
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Smile

My Husband just started going through all of this. He went to the info meeting with his sister. His sister decided this was not for her. He came home filled out the paper work- I got a doctors appt for him a month later. We went together-it was very overwheming with all the info and dos and don'ts. He decided on GB because it would be the most effective for him. This monday he started his new way of life(diet,ect) seems to be going well for him. I support him as much as possible-buying, measuring,documenting, and cooking the right food. I havent had to nag like in diets past-where i finally just gave up- he really wants this- it is very inspiring to me
And you are right it is not some magic fix-it is alot of work but as long as he knows this he will be fine- the doctors office will set him straight!
Good luck!
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote