UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Scale readings.

from 137 on digital on moment on digital....
to 154 the next on digital....
to 142 on metric....
im getting confused now....
which one am i....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

by metric i take it you mean a mechanical one that you step on the and needle moves around? i'd always take the mechanical ones as the distance the needle moves is a true consequence of teh pressure put on it. where as digital ones have to run through a chip and calculations and all sorts of thins, depending ont eh logic chips used it could vary significantly.

althought you need to be aware with mechanical scales the heavier you are over time the less accurate the scales are, if for example your pushing the scales to their limit i.e 19st on normal scales the springs inside get loaded beyond their limit and slowly stretch giving inaccurate readings
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I think your digital needs a new battery. Go weigh at the doctors, go right home and weigh on your mechanical. Adjust the wheel so your weight is the same as it was at the doctor's. This should maintain a reasonable accuracy for at least 10% more weight loss, then readjust. Ta-da!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

ive been meaning to buy more mechanical ones 4 a while....
now mite b the time....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #5  
Little Miss Random

well i bought some....
old ones read 142....
new ones red 168....
im sooo fukt off what the hells going on?!....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #6  
Operator265

Is your scale sitting on carpeting or a solid surface?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

both carpet, so surely readings should be closer than they actually are?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #8  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

i always have mine sitting on a hard surface so the scale doesnt move. Also try tracing over your feet so each time you get on you stand in the same exact spot. Hope it helps
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/169/115

Height: 5'2"

168 is way out compared to the other three you weights you gave, if you were weighing something other than yourself and got one weight way out like that you'd disregard it, so there's no reason to go for that weight just because it's yourself you're weighing

I think Kofarq's suggestion of using a doctor's scale is a really good idea. At least it'll be so less scary now that you're so slim compared to someone like me You could try going to the well woman clinic at your surgery if they still do something like that.

I hope you find an answer that makes you happy, and makes you believe in yourself and how good you look (I saw your thread with the photos in it, you look brilliant).

Re the carpet thing, I've always found scales much more consistent on a hard surface rather than carpet, stick to weighing on a hard surface if you can, imho.

Last edited by tabitha; 05-17-2008 at 12:38 PM.
tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #10  
Little Miss Random

they are tesco value scales....
the consolation is that they didnt cost too much!....
lol, £3.74....
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #11  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

loopy sweety... i always weigh in my kitchen (only hard floor) carpet SERIOUSLY distorts the reading as correct pressure isnt applied. one minute my wii fit tells me one thing, the next its another,

if you can afford it invest in some good scales.

mine were £39.99 from argos... theyre homedic ones and the most accurate ive ever had. i can give you catalogue number if u like hun x
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #12  
Operator265

I always weigh on a hard surface also. I just got a new digital w/ bmi caculator(about $40 US). My old scale was giving me different readings just by bending over to move the little markers. It would also change from stepping on and off(up to 10 lbs. difference). I try to be sure to stand in pretty much to same position with my feet in the same spot. My new scale gives me the same reading squatting or standing, leaning forward or back and when I get on and off. My ex visited last week and really liked it too. Hopefully, you can get your money back on the ones you got. It would be worth the extra $$$ just to maintain your sanity. I know my old one was making me nuts.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

which ones should i be following tho....
the old ones are about 10 years old....
the digital ones are 6 months old and cost me, personally, a packet....
and the others ae a day old and cheap....
im going to find a piece of wood later and place the digital scales onto that....
hopefully that would give a more accurate reading....
we dont have any uncarpeted floors in the house....
Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I'm of the opinion that all scales will generally give different readings. One suggestion would be to weigh a bag of sugar on the scales and check the accuracy as it's a known weight?
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #15  

I got a £40 or so expensive one that does your body fat % etc - turned out to be just as rubbish as the cheapo Ikea mechanical ones I had before. In fact I could get 6 different readings, on 6 different parts of the same (hard) floor in the same minute. Those readings might differ by 5 or 6lb.

So then I chucked the scales. They can be a real diet killer. Measurements are a more accurate way of keeping track. Scales are weighing how much water you drink, what you ate last, water retention at various stages of your cycle, retention affected by what you ate (or didn't), etc etc... They're not measuring very much that's useful. According to scales, after over a year's hard dieting and going down from a large size 22 to a small 12, I was still nearly 10lb overweight according to BMI - with a 26" waist, and at five foot six?

Also think these things are psychologically damaging - that if you weight more than say once a week, the temptation creeps up to weigh more and before you know it, is daily - which is not healthy, because you're picking up minor fluctuations then acting on them, maybe risking more drastic dieting and really wrecking your metabolism longterm.

So mine are forgotten about, now. I know I need to lose weight if my clothes get tight. And I'd never buy a size bigger now or go up a size (like I used to) but work hard to get back down to something healthy. Without scales.

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 06-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote