Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/125ish

Height: 5'2''

Default I cant stand myself anymore

Found this place a week or so ago, and introduced myself on the intro board - went grocery shopping and bought good low cal, healthy foods, and every morning have work up and said today is the day! And by evening I am disgusted with myself because I started strong and finished weak!!! Ahhhhh
Where do I find my motatation??!! I quit smoking in Jan and was no skinny mini to begin with but gained 40 pounds and am now nearly 250! Im only 5 foot 2 inches! And I feel so all alone and disgusting - dont want people to look at me, dont want hubby to touch me - I know I need to do this for me - I just need that lil something to push me to get going
theycallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

OK, stop, breathe - give yourself a big hug! You find your motivation one step and one day at a time. The same way you did when you quit smoking. You did that - and it is AWESOME! You can do this too. Start small - with a few changes. Things that you CAN do. Keep adding new things when you can. Success breeds success.
And - most importantly -love yourself - NOW! This is not an "all or nothing" contest. None of us are perfect. Make those little changes, and celebrate your successes. So the day wasn't perfect - was it better than yesterday?

You CAN do this! Try pampering yourself a bit. Bubble bath? New outfit that looks great on you NOW. You deserve good things and a healthy life. You will be successful. You have it within you to do this. Keep us posted on how you are doing, cuz I just know that tomorrow is going to be a good day
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #3  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi...
I think you are off to a good start. You made a plan, shopped, got up in the morning at least 'wanting to do it'.... There was a time that I would roll out of bed just to eat !! Gave no thought to eating healthy at all... Give yourself a little credit.. afterall, you are in here... posting and reading... somewhere deep down you want this or you wouldn't make 'any' effort... I had to start really slowly, tiny steps; first 3 days all I could manage was writing down what I ate and that freaked me out enough (thousands of calories a day) that I got moving... YOU CAN DO THIS.... try to stop in here and get the support from so many of us struggling and many having really good days... This forum makes the day manageable for me... Good luck and give yourself a break.. LOL
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #4  
One day at a time

Thanks so much for replying!!! Honestly the way I feel tonight I didnt think anyone would - kind of a pity party day I guess. And this site is so big! Easy to get lost! (thats me in the dress)

Last edited by theycallmemom; 05-15-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I once read a quote that went along the lines of "Motivation is like a bad friend. It sticks around when things are easy, and leaves you when you need it most.."

And I think it rings very true. As important as motivation is, when you need it is when it's no where to be found. So what's more important is just dedication. To go whether you want to go or not. Whether there's reason to go or not. To just go.

Good luck with your journey! I hope it gets easier, and that most importantly - you HANG IN THERE!!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I've been mostly on plan for a few weeks now. There were many times I tried to start losing weight and gave up quickly. I guess I finally decided the longer I put it off, the longer I'm not losing weight. If I had started sooner, I would be that much smaller now. I just joined this site, too, but I think it's great. There is a lot of good advice and support. When it comes to eating less, I think the first week or 2 is hardest, but after that it gets easier.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Welcome...I, too have been in your shoes. #1...step away from the scale....#2....You don't have to have an all or nothing day to be successfull.....If you wake up and have a good breakfast and a good lunch and snack...great....if you come home and have a (let's not call it bad) different than planned dinner...that's okay....log it...see where you fell on calories....see where the pattern is...could be that you just like to have big dinners...or that you use food to unwind at the end of the day....so plan for that....have lighter calorie breakfast and lunch ....add some walking to comensate...eventually....you will be able to change your dinner routine to be more healthy. Baby steps...there is no such thing as will power...it's a mood....it comes and goes and changes with the tides...I lost a lot of weight in 2005 (223 to 146) and put it back on in 2007 (I'm 214 now). I gained it back by dieting...I'd have a good week and then a party would come up and I would eat for the next few days until the next Monday....Now...If the party is at 2pm...I'll eat my normal healthy breakfast and snack and eat what I want at the party (I do mean what I want...I used to pack my "diet" foods to take with me to events...how stupid) and then log it when I get home...then I have my normal healthy dinner. The next day, I have no events so I eat healthy. That's not to say that if I feel like going for an icecream with my kids I won't...Oh...I will...I just log it. I try to compensate it elsewhere...exercise or lighter calorie fare later....sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. I'm not in a hurry anymore....I'll get there eventually. I'm only weighing once a month...I also try to eat things that fill me (I have a big appetite)...fiber one cereal on my yogurt every day...fruits, veggies, beans...I usually am too full for snacks (for the first time in my life). I really just wanted to welcome you and say that you are not alone. One day at time.....just like smoking...and congratulations on that by the way......
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome - and you can do this!
I am also 5'2 and started at 250, just like you. It can be done. It's a long hard journey, but the end reward is so worth it!
This site is fantastic for support 24/7.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #9  
One day at a time

wow fiber lover 155! the last time I weighed that little I think I was something like 8 years old lol!!! I think Im gonna like it here!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/233/140

Height: 5'7''

Do it!
SystemicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #11  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

TCMMom, you've gotten some good advice. My method is to change one bad habit at a time, rather than tackling them all at once. Some of those, I had to break down into smaller steps, too, like having one burger instead of two, then later stop putting cheese on my burger, then start having the burger without the bread, and eventually, I just started replacing the burgers with chicken, maybe having a burger once a week, then I noticed I just wasn't eating them at all. That wasn't a fast process, but it was one I could stick to, rather than trying to give up everything I was used to/addicted to, all at once, and feeling like a failure because I couldn't do it. I'm glad you're sticking with it. You can do this!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #12  
Get through today

I've been there too. I did a lot of "I hate myself" and "why bother", but recently realized that this is MY LIFE, and I am wasting it hating myself. My life isn't going to change itself because I want it to, I have to actually DO something to make that change. The steps are small, but they add up quickly once you get going. Hang in there, it will be worth it and, hopefully one day soon, we will both be able to smile when looking in the mirror! ~=)
BellaHTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's hard because of how we're taught to think about being fat and dieting, but you've got to get rid of the guilt and self-loathing. If you wanted to learn ballroom dancing or to play an instrument, you wouldn't expect perfection from day one, and hate yourself if you couldn't be perfect, would you? You'd be happy with every small success, and keep practicing until all those small successes could be combined into the skill you were learning, right?

Well, the changes required to lose weight, are skills like any other, and they have to be learned and practiced, and no one is perfect from the start (no matter what they might say in a book they write afterward). As long as you look at it as a skill to learn, you will make progress. If you tripped on a step in the middle of a staircase, you wouldn't throw yourself down the whole staircase, because you're just a failure at climbing stairs, and you'll just never get the hang of this, so what's the use.

Be kind to yourself, treat yourself as you would a friend with the same goals. Very few of us would tell a close friend (or even a total stranger), "wow, you really blew it today, you're a big, fat idiot, you'll never lose weight and no one will ever love you."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #14  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

We have all been there. You made the most important step. You recongnized you need to change and you have taken some proactive steps to do that. Staying motivated is the hard part....pin up a picture...write yourself notes to put around the house, in your lunch, ect. Just focus on YOU. Hubby will be there when you are ready! Good luck to you!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #15  
One day at a time

Its weird, cause I made this decision to get healthy in January, started with the cigarettes, andI kicked that habit, but it took alot of preparationa and tears - to say the least. And I know to this day if I smoked one I would be hooked again - but it almost seems eaiser then the food issues, cause I have to eat, have to prepare meals for hubby, have to go grocery shopping...When I quit smoking I felt like I lost my best friend, and Im kind of feeling like that again...knowing I am giving myself the gift of life, yet wanting so bad to just give in and eat what I want. But on a good note - after I went through this with the cigs, it was alot eaiser to just say NO so to speak lol