Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 08:23 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 3/11 - 3/17

Starting the topic - be right back.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:37 AM   #2  

Carla - I hope you three had a great time for "Gotcha day" - I love that! I remember when you went - how long is it now???

I'm very pleased to report that even after my weekend in the city (with pastrami and cheesecake) I managed to lose 0.2 pounds - tiny but still a loss! I had a pretty good weekend - I didn't count points at the restaurant and had an after dinner drink that I probably shouldn't have but all in all, I don't think it was too bad point wise - Tony and I ended up splitting two entrees - one good point-wise and one not so good. I had been toying with the idea of having the not so good entree myself so this was better. I did a good total body weights tape on Saturday (using only my left arm/shoulder of course) so I did earn a few more in the bank.

I had a couple of rough spots yesterday. The local paper printed the pictures of those lost on 9/11 from our town and I recognized one of them as a man with whom I used to exchange "good mornings" when I used to take the 6:28 downtown (for a few years). He was a nice guy - always had a smile on his face. Lots of tears yesterday and a few now since it's almost 8:46 am.

In any case, I'm going to try to string some losses together in a row. I re-worked my "winning outcome" this week at my meeting (more about that later if I can) and am going to do my best to keep that PMS monster away from my door (he scheduled to come this week).

Have a great Motivated Monday.

Judy
163.6/156.4/135

Last edited by JudySP; 03-11-2002 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:30 PM   #3  
Canadian, eh?

Good afternoon, everybody!

Judy, congratulations on your loss! However small, a loss is still a loss. Good luck at keeping the PMS monster at bay this month. Thinking of you today with the 9/11 memorials. The wounds will be very slow to heal.

Went way off program all weekend. We were out for dinner with friends both Saturday and Sunday, and Sunday was an ithinki'lleateverythingthatisn'tnailedtothefloor kind of day. However, I seem to be well back under control today, so hopefully the damage will be minimal.

Will check back later

Karen
Old 03-11-2002, 05:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone.

This is the first time I've been able to get in today. I don't know if my server was having problems, or theirs.

Judy - Congrats on your loss. Definitely moving in the right direction. And even after enjoying a pastrami sandwich and cheesecake. This is a hard day for everyone; more so for New Yorker's I'm sure. And I know that recognizing a face from the tragedy must be very difficult. {{{Hugs}}}

Karen - Oh, I've had days like your Sunday. Here's to you for being back in control. I'm sure you'll be ok at the scale this week.

My weekend was ok. Had dinner at my MIL's Saturday night and probably ate too much and then had a drink after the symphony. Sunday was ok until I got into some Easter candy I had bought. It's now tucked away in a store room in the furthest corner of the basement, so if I want it, I have to work for it. Worked out with weights and did some stretching on Saturday. Since I didn't get in a third aerobic session or a 2nd session with the weights, I'll have to start over this week with the Self challenge. Today one of my co-workers brought in Krispy Kremes. Pure evil. Oh well, John made chicken soup this weekend, so it will be easy to have a low point dinner.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 03-12-2002, 12:01 AM   #5  

Judy - Congratulations on the loss...those tiny ones add up. Good idea to split the entrees, especially when you were thinking of getting the not so good one. Sending you positive vibes to keep that PMS monster away.

Karen - We've all had weekends like that. Sounds like you are back in control and that is what is important.

Carla - Good job putting the Easter candy far away...out of sight, out of mind. I haven't bought any yet. I'll probably wait until right before Easter. Neither of the girls is a big candy eater so I know I'd end up eating it myself. Those unexpected treats in the office are so hard to resist. Quite often Tue/Thurs boss has Krispy Kremes on the table when I come in (he has the office in his house). I have to force myself to walk by without opening the box. If I don't see them, I can resist.

I'm back to weighing in on Mondays since I decided on a new start last Monday. I had a 1 1/2 lb loss. The diabetes class was okay. Last week was a doctor discussing the basics of diabetes and all of the complications that can develop. This week will be a dietician discussing the food plan so I'm sure it will be more interesting to me. I did tell my sister I would stop by her house on the way home from work on Tue/Thurs afternoons so we can walk together.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 03-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #6  

Good Morning,sorry I was MIA yest. Not a good day all around. Started out ok, but then just went downhill. Had to pick Bobby up at school cause the nurse called and said he was "sick" which I have my doubts about. Then Bobby took Teddy (5 pound Pomeranian) out for a walk when a much larger dog escaped his yard and attacked Teddy. Bobby lost hold of the leash and the bigger dog cornered Teddy under a car. The owner just called the dogs name and put him in house and left Bobby standing there crying and my little Teddy bear scared out of his mind. Had to take him to the vet and get checked out, little bit scratched and bruised, but I am SO MAD at the owner just leaving my son and puppy out there crying. Called the police and since I dont live in the town would have to go down and file a report. Which I still might do with a copy of the vet bill. Now I go to Jazzercise which I can not do and have not been able to do for about a week since I pulled a muscle in my breast (from doing push ups) so I have not worked out and did not get to take frustrations out on exercise. Missed weigh in because of the whole thing at work, which is probably a good thing since my home scale shows a 2 pound gain Got home to argue with husband over stupid stuff and then find out Bobby lied to us again about something very trivial then tells us he is addicted to lying and needs professional help. I went to bed last night and just tossed and turned and felt helpless. Started a new day today and hopefull will be better. I did figure out last night that my gain is probably from neglect with journaling that I probably neglected from thinking I could just "wing it" since I was so close. I am right back to journaling this morning and will make goal by next Monday!!

Sorry I rambled, will be back later to post to everyone. Sorry if I am sounding selfish, but my mind is still lost a little.

Have a great day!
Old 03-12-2002, 09:54 AM   #7  

Karen B - sorry to hear about the "ithinki'lleateverythingthatisn'tnailedtothefl oor" day - it happens to all of us. I'm glad to hear that you are back on track. I'm sure the damage will be minimal - it usually ease when we can stop ourselves after one day.

Carla - I'm glad the weekend was basically OK - good for you for hiding the Easter candy. That's thankfully something that we never have in the house. Of course, Passover brings its own challenges. Yikes on the Krispy Kremes - did you manage to stay with points?

Pat - Congratulations on that great loss! I'm sure this week's class will be very interesting. Please share any insights you get from it. Great plan on walking with your sister - it's always better when you have a workout "buddy".

Michele - wow - it sounds like a real rough patch you are going through. I know how tough it is to want to work out some stress with exercise and then can't. Hang in there - things will calm down (they always do). I find journalling to be really necessary - sometimes I use it to scribble down stuff that is making me nuts too!

Thanks for all the hugs. Yesterday was a little tough but not as bad as I thought it would be - it was even an improvement over Sunday. I did a part of a step tape in the morning which really helped and had PT in the afternoon so that covers the exercise. I snacked a little bit too much last night but will still be OK - I have a few points banked from the day before. That PMS monster was stomping around a bit too much last night and I am very cranky today - almost snapped at my boss cranky. Oh well, hopefully the it won't be too long a day.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 03-12-2002, 11:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone,

Pat - Congrats on a great loss! I can't imagine listening to the potential complications of diabetes was very pleasant. But better to hear about them and prevent them than live with them. I've been known to resist Krispy Kremes too, but it takes an enormous act of willpower, which I didn't possess yesterday.

Michele - Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad day yesterday. Here are some hugs {{{hug}}}. First of all, I'm glad that Teddy is ok aside from being scratched and scared out of his wits. You're right to be angry. To leave a child crying, and a dog scared, is downright mean. Second, I hope your muscle is better soon. That's gotta hurt. Third, Bobby does have a problem, better that he recognizes it now and wants/gets help rather than have it escalate. Finally, sorry about the gain, but I know you'll get it off and be at goal next week. You're one determined woman and you'll do it. So, take control of what you can and the rest will work itself out. It always does.

Judy - Well, I was within points until I got home and then I, like Karen on Sunday, went nuts. So it wasn't a stellar day. I hope that PMS monster leaves you alone soon. Unfortunately, he'll be heading to my house.

I'm back in control, so far, today, but its a struggle. I'm really tired and stressed out at work. Plus, it's starting to look like we're going to have to put down one of our cats. He's been having a problem with diarrhea - basically everything he eats goes right through him. He used to be very fat, now he's skin and bones. So far we've ruled out diabetes and thyroid cancer. We should hear today about test results on the stool sample we provided. If they don't fine any bacterial cause for this, then the next test will be for intestinal cancer. So we'll see. My sneak peeks have been very bad, so I'm not hopeful for tomorrow. But, at least the sun is shining and its warmer out.

Have a good day everyone.

Carla
Old 03-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #9  

Default I'm Back!

And finally able to get into this site, I've been trying for days!

Pat and Judy, congratulations on your losses. Judy, tell us more about the WW meeting.

Karen, glad you got back OP so quickly, I had ten days of that!

Carla, glad you're back in control too. I'm so sorry your cat is sick, I hope the vet finds out what's wrong and it's curable. That's enough to stress you out for sure. Do something good for yourself.

Michele, what a terrible day you had. Have you used your spa treatment yet? If not, run don't walk to the spa, you need it!

Okay, here's my confession! I started out eating good and exercising the first two days in Texas. Then my sister went home and I was left alone to take care of Mumsy. I stressed out and ate everything. I remember two pounds of candy, a dozen or so homemade cookies, 3 cheeseburgers, two with fries, Cheesecake Factory, and the rest is forgotten. Mumsy came home Friday night after 11 days in the hospital and I came back to Florida on Saturday--all day Saturday. I flew through Chicago, and the weather was horrible. The plane was being buffeted by the wind when we were boarding! Got back to Orlando and my car wouldn't start, waited over an hour for AAA, they never showed. Finally had the idea to ask the shuttle bus driver for help and was on the road home in a few minutes.

Sunday night around 10:00 I got a phone call Mums was back in the hospital! Instead of going to bed, I raided the fridge! Got off to a good start yesterday, and so far I'm staying OP. I looked up meetings this morning and plan to start going on Monday, sooner if I get out of control again. I worked out a schedule with my sisters so one of us will be with Mumsy over the next several weeks, and my next turn comes up April 1. I'm hoping the meetings will give me enough support so I won't go out of control when I go again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:19 AM   #10  

Michelle - Sorry you had such a rough day yesterday. Hope today was better and you can get back to exercising again. That must really hurt. You're probably right about the journaling. I quit journaling when I was at goal, and slowly gained some of the weight back. Get back to journalling and you'll make it to goal next week.

Judy - Hope you get rid of the PMS monster soon. I'm hoping to get some ideas and recipes from this week's class. I think I'll do a better job of getting out to walk when I know my sister is waiting for me. Right now she can't go as far or as fast as I usually walk, but at least I'm getting something in. I'll be able to meet up with my friend in the neighborhood more often now that her sons' sports seasons are over. We end up taking longer walks than either of us would take on our own.

Carla - I hope you got good news from your vet. The waiting and wondering can be so hard. As my sister said when we left the last class...it was more than I wanted to know. I didn't realize just how many complications can develop. I kept reminding myself that this runs in families and that I could develop it in the future. Another reason I need to keep my weight in control.

Karen C - Welcome back. Sorry to hear your mom is back in the hospital. Hope she is feeling better soon. Sounds like a horrible flight back...Texas to Florida by way of Chicago!!! I can't imagine flying in that wind Saturday. I know we had several signs blown out, etc. and I heard it was worse in Chicago. Good idea to find a time to get to meetings. They can be really helpful when you need that extra support.

I did okay through the day, but got into ice cream tonight that put me over. I got out for a walk this afternoon with my sister. Tomorrow I'll try to get in some weight work.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 03-13-2002, 08:09 AM   #11  

Good Morning! I did have a better day yest. thank you for asking. Steve and I had a long talk and we were just tired and aggrivated with Bobby. Bobby and I had a long talk and he is going to try and stop lying and if he needs help we will get him some. My breast area is still sore but getting better and the best news of the day was from the orthodontist, Bobby is still not ready so I have 3 more months without having to pay all that $$. It is a definate he will need braces, just has to lose 3 more baby teeth. Hey, 3 more months with the $$ in my pocket.

Pat-with the warm weather peaking its way around the corner your walking should get more enjoyable by the day. Getting out there with you sister and neighbor just makes it all that much nicer. (wish my sons sports schedule was over ) I think journaling is so important, and I have learned my lesson.

Karen-your trip home sounds horrible, so sorry about your mom going back to the hospital. I will keep her speedy recovery in my prayers. Dont worry about all that food, stress does horrible things. You stopped it and will get rid of the bad effects soon. Going to the meetings is a good idea, I know they help me very much.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:21 AM   #12  

That was weird, I hit enter and my post posted and I was not done.

Carla-Thanks for the hug, I sure needed it. As far as Bobby is concerned and the lying I am very open to getting him help but the way he said it sounded like a line almost rehearsed. He just graduated from our local police dept. DARE program and he was saying things like lying is like a drug mom, I am addicted to it just like nicotine or alcohol. I hope just talking to him and making him realize the "bad" effects of lying will be enough, but I will do whatever it takes. Thanks for your concern. So sorry about your cat, I hope it all works out.

Judy-That darn PMS monster again?!? I wish there was a way to just kill him off. The nerve of him just coming back every month like that and wreaking havoc on our otherwise wonderful lives. Good luck warding him off, he will be heading my way soon, maybe I can find a way to rid us of him once and for all. Congrats on your loss!

Karen-so sorry about Sunday, we have all been there!! Great job getting back on track.

The animal control officer just returned my call (finally) and he will go over and talk to the owner today. I am not going to push anything yet, as long as his attitude is good about the visit. I just want him to know that along with a dog comes responsibility and you do not leave an 11 year old boy in a parking lot crying after your dog attacks his.

My sneak peak this morning was much more pleasant than Mondays anyway. Encouraging at least.

Have a great day
Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 AM   #13  

Default Good Morning!

Pat, it's great that you have found partners to walk with, it really helps having someone counting on you, doesn't it? I haven't read las week's thread, but it sounds like someone in your family has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I hope it's type two and can be controlled through diet.

Michele, I'm happy to hear you're getting things resolved. Good news about the sneak peek!

Weigh in today - plus 2.5, which is a lot better than my sneak peeks have been. I'm back on program and hope to keep it up. The meetings should give me extra motivation which I will need since it looks like Mums will be having more surgery.

I have to make a birthday cake for a friend today or tomorrow, and he has picked out one that has milky way bars AND caramels in it, wish me luck putting them in the cake and not in my mouth!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:37 AM   #14  

Carla - sorry to hear that you had one of *those* days. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat (btw, what's his name?) How old is he? I hope the test results show something that can be treated. Putting a pet down is so hard even if you know that you are sparing him/her from pain. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'll send up a prayer for your kitty. Glad to hear that it was sunny and warm in Chicago. It's rainy today but we need it so badly it's hard to complain.

Karen C - Good to hear from you! Gee, it sounds like the trip from he**! I'm sorry to hear that your mom is back in the hospital. Listen, as far as "eating everything", we've all done it, or at least I'm raising my hand here in NY (I've done that!) The important thing is that it's in the past and you are taking steps to get back in control. Looking up meetings is a great step. Coming here is another great step. Put it behind you and forgive yourself. Slips happen - it's when we beat ourselves up about it and slip into the "well, it doesn't matter because I've already messed up" attitude that we get in trouble. Sorry about the gain but I;m glad it was better than your sneak peeks.

Pat - I'd love to hear about any ideas of recipes you get from the class. I agree that even if you are slowing down a bit walking with your sister you *are* getting it in and the support for the two of you has to be a plus. Sorry to hear about the ice cream but it's a good plan to try to make up the points with exercise.

Michele - I'm glad to hear that your talk went well with Bobby. I'm glad you are feeling a little bit better. Good news for sure about the orthodontist. I hope our neighbor takes to hear what the animal control officer says - too many people don't take their responsibility seriously when it comes to pets.

OK - your winning outcome is what you keep in your mind to help you on this journey. It's one of the "tools for living". It should be

1. stated in the positive
2. specific
3. within your control and
4. a good fit with your lifestyle

It's in keeping with the idea that losing the weight and changing your lifestyle should be coming from *your* wanting to do it (not someone else) and for positive outcomes (not self-defeating negative talk). After you come up with your winning outcome (I came up with two) you create the consecutive steps that lead to your dream/outcome. I came up with two although one is shorter term than the other (and both require the same steps). The one I'm focusing on first is to feel confortable in a bathing suit when we go out to the beach in July (7/21). The steps I'm going to take to get there are:
a) count points no matter what I eat ('cause as my leader says, if you're not counting points you're not doing WW)
b) make weekends count (I tend to slip up on weekends and I think that's where I lose the progress I gain during the week and therefore keeps me in the same place(
c) get in my calciums every day
d) continue to exercise and try (as injuries permit) to work up to last year's level of intensity
e) go to my meeting every week (in the past, I've skipped meetings once in a while when I didn't want to weigh in - I end up feeling better if I go and if I really don't want to get on the scale, I don't have to).

Anyway, that was the topic of the meeting and I think it was really helpful. I did OK yesterday - the PMS monster was in the house but I pretty much kept him cowering in the corner. I did snack a point or two more than I wanted to, but I didn't eat junk, I had some of the new Kashi cereal (Heart to Heart) which Tony and I both like. I walked to work yesterday but this morning it was rainy so I opted for the bus from Penn Station. I'm meeting a friend for dinner after work - we're going to an Italian place but I'm planning on having pasta and one glass of wine so it should be doable. Today will be a rest from exercise. I should be able to do a bit more tomorrow since it is a telecommute day.

Judy
Old 03-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #15  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone...

Didn't get a chance to get online yesterday, so I have a bit of catching up to do.

Karen C - so glad you're back with us! Sorry to hear that your mom's back in the hospital, and hope she'll be on the mend again soon. Your ten days away was rough on you...glad to hear you're back on track again. Bummer about the gain this week, you're not alone...more about that later.

Michele - when it rains, it pours, doesn't it?! Hope things on the home front get sorted out soon. I agree with Karen C ... get thee to the spa!! Hope the sneak peak holds up for you.

Pat - great that you're walking with your sister. I'm sure you'll find the dietitian interesting. Ice cream and I are a lethal combination; I can't keep it in the house at all. If we're having ice cream; I buy a small container and it gets eaten that day and then it's out of the house!

Carla - so sad for you about your kitty. Hopefully he's treatable. These kind of decisions are absolutely gut wrenching. How was the weigh in today?

Judy - your winning outcome sounds like a winner. You've set some definite goals, and have laid out all the interventions to get there. Now to stick to it!

I had a 2 lb. gain this week. I have a massive case of the blahs around weight loss right now. I've been in this boat many times before; I lose about 20 lbs, then hit the wall and everything falls apart. I'm not going to let it fall apart this time, but it feels like my body is screaming for unlimited quantities of anything foodwise that isn't good for me. I know it's my mind and not my body, but I'm really struggling with motivation right now. Don't want to exercise, have every excuse in the world why I don't have to. I haven't had any totally sedentary days, but taking the dogs for a leisurely half mile stroll hardly counts. I'm sure it's all related to hormones and PMS whenever that may choose to show up. My cycle is completely unpredicatable.

I think I've moaned and groaned enough for now, talk to you tomorrow...

Karen B
Closed Thread