Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #1  
Operator265

Default Remebering Love and Letting Go

It's been 3 days now since my baby left us. I made it through yesterday w/o crying. Still hearing things that aren't there, but not jumping to respond anymore. Even my oldest girl who wasn't very close to Muffy said she went to set her food down the other night and looked around first to make sure he wouldn't get into it.

Yesterday and last night the GOOD memories started taking up more time than the hurt. We had him just a little less than 6 yrs. They were some rough years. He took care of me when my mom died two months after we got him. As with most pets, he knew when his mom was upset and made sure I knew he loved me. He carried me through my divorce. He's was now the man of the family. He was with us when we moved to Utah.

We found out the day after he left that the stones were cancerous. Thank God he doesn't have to spend the next few years dying that way. I watched Harley go slowly of old age for over a year, and that was miserable for us both. I do wish I hadn't put him thru the surgery. The $$ is not as much of a big deal. It's that it went over by quite some time and really wore him out. But, if I hadn't tried everything, I know I would be having unforgivable guilt right now. Plus, when it became clear he wouldn't make it anyway, he was let go.

Thanks Sweetheart for all you've given. You got us thru the rough stuff before taking your leave like the gentleman you were. You'll always be in our hearts.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You'r story is so touching. I have a dog, too and know what a loss it will be if I ever have to face that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

My heart breaks for you today. I'm sorry about your loss. Take comfort in knowing that Muffy knew you loved him and he loved his life. You made his time here wonderful and happy, and that is all dogs asks of us. When you tried everything to save him, you let him go, knowing he wasn't having fun anymore. ((HUGS)) You are very lucky to have had a dog/friend like him!
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #4  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

so sorry for your loss, my dogs are my family and i know it is hard. but time helps to ease the heartache. you are in my thoughts
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default I don't know what to say except...

scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost two of my dogs in the last 6 months to old age, and I know how hard and heartbreaking it is. I will miss them forever. You're in my thoughts.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #7  
Operator265

Thank you all, but, please, please don't feel bad for me. As I said, the GOOD memories are taking over. I've done my pity time and now it's time to be grateful for the time we had. He did soooo much to bring joy to us and anyone who ever met him. I don't know of another dog who could get more free food at a drive up and how many times strangers would bring their whole families over to meet him when we were out and about.

I think he would be terribly upset if he knew he was causing anyone pain. He wanted everyone to be happy and did his best to make that happen. Bless you all for your kindness.

Last edited by Operator265; 05-08-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #8  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Lots of hugs to you
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #10  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

It's hard not to start with 'I'm so sorry' but I think it's great you know he wouldn't want you to be sad...doggies love us to be happy...I know I'll be so sad when our old boy goes but he's had a great life and it sounds like yours had a great life with lots of fun and companionship xxx
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #11  
Operator265

garoramanda-Thank you for the poem. It is beautiful. I just got a sympathy card from our vet. It has the same poem on it. Now we can credit the author of such a wonderful work. It is M. A. Preston.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #12  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi Operator, I remember reading your post the other night and planned on popping in and saying Hi... I'm glad its getting a little easier, with more good days ahead... You write beautifully... its funny, after my kitty had to leave me, all I wanted to do is write about him and I called him my boy too... I'm really glad I did some writing, I read the pages now and they take me back to the funny and sweet memories... but also scattered in the pages there are gentle reminders that I made loving decisions... Take care
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even though I lost my Girly Girl almost three weeks ago now, I know that I still can't really truthfully say "I know how you feel," because while the loss of a beloved pet always leaves behind a hole, it's always a very unique hole. I've lost several pets in my lifetime, and each was a completely different experience. And while my husband and I have both lost the same cat, the holes left behind are very different (as is the mending process, I have learned).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

More ((Hugs)) Operator
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #15  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Dr. Seuss

Here's to days ahead where the smiles from wonderful memories outweigh the sadness.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 05-09-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote