Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Question Question re:tofu

Have question for anyone who might know - does tofu cause...well, *ahem*, ...digestive issues? LOL! I made these "fishsticks" using firm tofu, panko (breadcrumbs - real crunchy), and seasonings, then baking them. The family wasn't thrilled (but I noticed they ate them all!), but I'm always willing to try new things. But it was (ahem) rather "noisy" this morning in our household, and DH seemed to "suffer" a diaretic effect this a.m., as well. (And, naturally, since he is the only one in the house not watching his intake, he lost several pounds overnight!)

No one seemed uncomfortable (well....), but it was the only element in the meal that was never eaten before.

Any ideas? Thanks - and no, I will not give up on such a cheap (caloric-ly, that is) food with such high protein - I'll adding tofu in other meals - sneaking it in, if I have to!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Tofu is made from soy beans, so I'd imagine it could cause flatulence. I've never had this problem myself, but then beans don't bother me in that way at all. I wouldn't worry about it, that's just a sign that everyone's colon is working.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #3  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Yup, gassy...not 'the runs', tho'...could have been something else that was eaten that was 'off'...
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #4  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

sometimes the oil can go quietly rancid and will give people the farts (I said farts hehe) A lot of people who don't eat there veggis like they should have a hard time with tofu. Especially strait up like that. good job BTW my DH would have laughed at me long and hard if I tried to feed him those!
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  

Well, DH is pretty patient when I try new recipes (the man is a human dispoz-all, so there are VERY few food items he will refuse). And, he understands that, occasionally, we must make changes to control the calories - or the constant "leak" in the wallet! I am living with three very large, male carnivores, so it is major when I try to sneak in the periodic vegetarian meal. But for the most part, they eat very healthily - just Large Quantities! I'm working on that!

All has returned to 'our' version of normal - Dh didn't have the runs from it - he just pee'd alot! Weird. But, there will be part deux for the great tofu caper...just not sure where I'll sneak it in next - heh heh heh...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #6  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

tofu stuffed shells are fantastic! take out 1/3 to 1/2 of the cheese and replace it with tofu and 1 egg, some salt and pepper and spices. oh, so delicious. Even my DH will eat that!
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #7  

Thanks, Kricket - great idea! It leads me to other recipes I can "plunder" (in a manner of speaking!), so onward to subversive tofu usage!!! (snicker, snicker, snicker)