Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #1  
Meg

Thumbs up No Excuses Week #2 - All Welcome!

If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Anyone want to do another No Excuses week?

I'm in. I'm going to post last week's report on the old thread and then will be back to make my plan for the day.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #2  
Mel

I'm in for most of the week. We are leaving early Wednesday am for dd's graduation, so between an 8 hour car ride and celebrations, I'm not sure what the end of the week hold. Better bad choices, probably

My clothes are fitting really well- the jacket I have on today is actually a bit big.

Breakfast was a salmon patty, spinach and oatmeal My son and husband couldn't even look at it.

Mel
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #3  
Meg

Your breakfast sounds delicious, Mel -- what's not to like? I got some funny looks from DH when I went through my chili-for-breakfast phase.

Back from the gym, where I ran into the former superstar of my Weight Watchers meetings circa 2001. Very sad -- I'll post about it in the chat thread.

Exercise -- chest and cardio:

20 min elliptical intervals
4 sets each:
Alternating arm DB press
Incline BB press
Cable crossovers
Incline flyes
FreeMotion chest press
10 min bike

I was going to start out with pushups, but as soon as I got up on my toes I knew that wasn't going to work (toe surgery)! By the end of my workout, I realized that I could have done them with my feet on a ball but I was toast by then.

I'll try for more cardio today but am still helping DS move, so I'm not sure I can fit it in.

Food:

M1: Turkey sausage and oatmeal
M2: Protein shake w/ blueberries
M3: Salad w/ salmon, strawberries, and LF dressing
M4: 12-bean soup
M5: Apple and natural PB
M6: 95% lean burger and roasted asparagus

Right around 1200 calories and 100g of protein.

Isn't it interesting that all of us who have posted menus eat multiple meals every day? I don't think I've seen one menu that's a standard three or even four meals.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Can I think on this while I'm at the gym? Sounds like a good way to get my ... um ... derriere in gear.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had a nice long post all typed out and then my DSL kinda messed me up. Oh well.

But I am surely in. I feel MARVELOUS. My kids told me this morning how good I look. My 18 year old said I looked sexy. Amazing what a proper fitting pair of jeans and a fitted t-shirt will do.

My only slight challenge this week will be some cooking I am doing for a friend who needs some help this week. I'm making linguini with lots of veggies and garlic. NO BLT's. No BLT's. No BLT's. I've already made butternut squash soup for her & her family. A gigantic salad is also part of the plan. The other challenge, Mother's Day. I think I'll be okay there too. My mom is making a turkey (yay!!!) and I will bring some side dishes. Shouldn't be too bad. But of course, they're all expecting some dessert. I'll come up with something. I know they're gonna want something caloric. NO EXCUSES.

Mel, I too think your breakfast sounds just fine. I eat salad all the time for breakfast. I've had tuna too and every now and then a leftover chicken breast. I don't care what people think of my odd choices. As long as it's healthy, low cal and satisfying, it's good any time of the day.

Meg, oh yeah. 3 or like you said, even 4 meals are out of the question for me. I've said it many times. I need to eat - often. So I do.

Gotta run. No time to post in the chat thread. I'll pop in later.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

I have a confession to make. "Since April was over" I went overboard on treats this weekend. I failed the first "no excuses" week! I didn't undo all the good work I did in april, but I undid some of it. I'll have to "detox" and let the scale settle out for a few days and see. I'm trying to figure out why... I was a little bored with my lunches, but... it wasn't a good reason.

I need to figure out a system! So even though I "can" have sweets and alcohol, I also need to remember that I'm still above my red line. I am making a commitment to not eat sweets at work, b/c that will eliminate a lot of temptation.

I'm still a little "hung over" and discouraged, but I'm in for this week! I went to the store last night and got healthy foods, and salmon to grill for salads the rest of the week (stealing the salmon, strawberry, almond idea ) and as long as I stay away from the BLTs, I'll be ok. Exercise hasn't been a problem.

There, I've confessed. Why don't I feel any better? I feel like I've let you all down! I'm sorry!

I do want to say CONGRATULATIONS and what a GREAT JOB everyone did last week!!! Meg, great job losing that pound! Robin, way to stay (mostly) on track for the weekend. I think everyone (besides me) did a wonderful job!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #7  
Meg

Aw, Megan, you didn't let us down! I think you've beat yourself up enough -- it's a brand new week and a fresh start. Thank goodness for fresh starts!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Count me in! I ended the week with a 2.4 pound loss which puts me right at goal. I did drop below goal, for about 24 hours ! I consider that to be one of those mysterious weight fluctuations.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Count me in!!! Starting today, since yesterday was not so much on plan.

Goals for this week:
- get my exercise every day. That means walking the dog in the morning and/or evening, AND doing some strengthening, NO EXCUSES!
- no sweets on weekdays, PERIOD. This includes sugar free hot cocoa!!!
- keep the calories under 1500 instead of under 1600. Those extra 100/day are making a difference for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #10  
No description available.

Last week went pretty well for me. My free day was a bit overboard....just cause I plan to mix up my calories that day does not give me free license to eat almost a whole restaurant serving of pad thai. I'm confident the scale will continue to go down, as it has with all my other free days, but I did not like how uncomfortable I felt.

Megan, don't beat yourself up. Life is life and we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off. "No excuses" does not mean that we should all turn instantly into perfect human beings. At least not to me. It just means that we do our best and try not to sugarcoat or justify missteps---especially not prior to the missteps.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had chicken and yogurt for breakfast.

... gym 6 days
... less than 1400 cals of good food
... water
Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Well, I'm quite happy! My scale was down both Saturday and Sunday mornings (which is the norm since I sleep in a bit so it's clearly water weight). Usually on Monday morning (and up early again) I'm back to where I was. Not this time! It appears that I've lost somewhere in the vicinity of 1-2 pounds. It's really hard to gauge the loss because I've been all over the scale lately--all on the upper end of the 140's and getting ever so close to 150 which scares the heck out of me. But seeing 147 for a few days has given me renewed strength!!!

I bought something on a splurge this weekend--the new South Beach Super Charged book (I had not bought any of the SB books before). I decided I'm going to do phase 1 for a week or so and phase 2 for another week or two. I was quite surprised to see that fruit is not allowed on phase 1. Guess I'll have to wait a week before doing phase 1 because I had also picked up a HUGE flat of delicious strawberries as well as some blackberries. I guess I'll be doing something more like a modified phase 2!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm in! I'm so ready for this week.

I have some exciting new low cal lunches and dinners planned: Red Banana Chicken, Tex-Mex Pork and Hominy, smoked salmon wraps, and pastrami sandwiches with Thousand Island dressing and sauerkraut. I also have no meals out, so there won't be anything to tempt me off plan.

And the scale dropped to 114.5 over the weekend :, which encourages me to try to raise my calories to 1700 this week (I was at 1600 last week)! WOW! So much food!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning- at least it still is here. Nice to see that so many of us had a good "no excuses" week, and some even lost weight. I'll weigh tonight at the gym, but Wednesdays are my "official" day.

Mmmm, Barbara, those meals sound good. And yay for 1700 calories! That is a lot of food when you eat the way we do. And you were so right about the tamale pie. I ate approx 1/6 of the pan, a good sized spinach salad, one slice of garlic bread, and 1/2 slice of lemon poppyseed cake, and I was STUFFED. Amazing

I posted today in last week's thread, though I already modified it. Had cold cereal instead of oatmeal, but it's approx the same calories, so no harm, no foul. I have a 2 hour meeting that starts in an hour. It's an every week meeting, and it plays havoc with my food schedule. I leave here about 9:45, and usually I'd eat between 10:15 and 10:30, so I'm really not hungry at 9:30. But the meeting goes on til noon or 12:30, and when I get back here for lunch, I'm starved! I should be thankful I guess that there is no food at the meeting - because it would be stuff I shouldn't be eating. Today I'm going to try having an apple and part of a Clif Luna bar just before the meeting starts and see if that helps.

Allison, I think SB restricts fruit to help with cutting out carb cravings. If that's not an issue for you, you're probably fine eating fruit. Or since you're not looking to drop a lot of weight, starting with Phase II is probably fine. They do have some good recipes.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh man. All you wonderful folks having SUCH great success with the scale is making me want to hop on. I am soooo trying to hold out for at least another week. We shall see.

I was out and about this morning doing some business stuff in Manhattan & I go to 2 different areas, exactly 20 blocks away from one another. I usually hop on the train, but no - instead I walked. I was pressed for time, so I figure how to I get the extra mile iin and get there speedy - walk briskly, very briskly of course. It felt GREAT.

And who do I bang into in Manhattan, my sister and mom and lo and behold, my sister says to me, "your jeans are so baggy". And you know what, I think they are!!

Please dear G-d, let me REMEMBER this - "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." I think I need a tatto or something.......

I am so pumped for this week. Linguini is cooking now.........

Megan, sounds like you will be right back this week. And that's what it's all about.

Susan, glad to see you aboard.

Hello, everyone else. Gotta run. Food on the stove...........
Closed Thread