Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Diet Pills Don't Work

Duh.... Here is a link to an article on MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24406056/

Quote:
In general, the biggest mistake people make in taking diet pills is looking at them as magic bullets.

"People cannot expect a medication to do it for them,” says Gary Foster, director of the Center for Obesity Research and Education at Temple University in Philadelphia. “It’s a 50/50 partnership with the pill being half the equation. Exercise, what we eat and our lifestyle habits … are critical to long-term success.”
and yet..... (bolding mine)
Quote:
At least 30 companies are developing weight-loss drugs, with experts estimating that in the next few years there will be 10 to 15 medications meant to help dieters in different ways. The pharmaceutical research firm Decision Resources projects that the obesity drug market will grow in the U.S. from $222 million in 2006 to nearly $2 billion by 2016.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #2  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Thank you for posting this. It just confirms for me that I am making the right choices by never taking diet pills.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #3  

What really bothers me is that I feel many of these diet pills are worthless excuses to take advantage of a desperate person -- I know there are a few that are wonderful tools to help with weight loss, but there are 100's that are just a bunch of junk to suck money out of obese individuals.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #4  
from flab to fab

S/C/G: 177/170/135

Height: 5'2ish

This is actually very said IMO

Each and every single day I must see 5 or more ads about miracle drugs that claim to "melt the weight" right off.

Not only are these pills giving people a falls perception of what losing weight is all about but it's alterning the perception of children too! I work with kids, and I see how they view eating and exercising. Although I am no better myself, they eat whatever they want whenever they want. Pills like this will only give them the impression that there is a quick fix out there and that watching what you eat isn't all that important.

It's very very sad. Not to mention, this junk CANNOT be good for you. IMO you're probably better off being overweight than filling yourself with all these chemicals! It can't be good!
missjenny is offline   Reply With Quote