Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ May's Monthly Thread #009

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY MAY EVERYONE
Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ WOW ... didn't April just seem to fly by? It sure felt that way for us and I suspect that May will be the same and the rest of the spring and summer will likely go that way as well, as we have so many things planned for this year. We had a funny day, weather-wise; it couldn't make its mind up what it wanted to do. We started out with sunshine, then clouds and a few whisps of *** but nothing that stayed around (melted as soon as it touched the ground ~ lol!). And it stayed that way all day too, but it wasn't too bad really ...

ANYHOW, we had a busy morning in town, but our danged car was acting up on us, but we got everything done and home safely. DH found out what is was when we got home. Seems our car battery was defective; thank goodness we had another one. He put it in and everythings OK again ~ yeah. Gee, didn't want that for the weekend.

Tomorrow, we are putting up our new clothesline with a new-phangled raising pulley-thing (I know that is soooo descriptive and accurate, I'm sure ~ lol); I really don't know what they call it ... haha! But as long as it works, I'll be happy. It is supposed to lift the line up, so Dh can't knock it down anymore!!!

DH says that now I bought him a new big ladder, he can't get out of putting it up anymore; it's a now or else, kind of thing ~ LOL! He says it shouldn't take too long; yah, we'll see ...

Anyways, we had spagetti and homemade moose meatballs; made enuff for five dinners. I bake them in the oven on cookie sheets and then freeze them in containers; later, I just add them to our favorite sauce. They were yummy too! I was careful and measured my cooked spagettini (1 cup each). It really is lots once you add the sauce with the meatballs and I had a bit of coleslaw too.

Well, that's all for tonight and going to go make some tea now. PURPLE and VAL, you are in my thoughts and prayers each day. Take good care of yourselves, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-30-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #3  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

AHHHHH IT'S MAY! NOOOOOOOO stop! slow down! I need more time!

ok. now that I got that off my chest. thanks for starting the May thread Rosebud.

I will post more tomorrow... I had a really long day today.. work was out of town... ended up with an early breakfast and a late high fat lunch and i'm suffering for it now. My stomach cannot handle fried food anymore... so serves me right to be miserable all night.

take care all
Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

:Hi Ladies

Thanks so much for your well wishes and prayers. Dad appears now to be on the mend and recuperating with us. So I now have my mum and dad stopping with us. So at least I can keep an eye on him and stop him getting up to any mischief In the end no pacemaker was fitted as there was not enough medical evidence to warrant putting one in. The angiogram that he had found that there was no narrowing and so no stents was put in to force the arteries or veins open. Medication has been change though and the big one for my Dad is they have discontinued the warfrin which will be great for him.

I have missed this board so much to keep me on the straight and narrow so to speak. Though I have still managed to lose at little weight during this time Dad was at hospital. Which suprized me as I was not able to eat as clean as I would like but I have tried to pick what I think is the healthiest choice. The one think where Dad was in hospital it sure was exercise every day walking down those corridors so kept up my exercise in a roundabout way.

I hope that I find you all well ladies and your families. I have just had a quick read over the past posts to try and get myself up to speed. I may still not be on as often as I would like as I play host to my parents.

Yikes May already. So happy May everyone, Well April has lived up to its name of April showers. So we have had a lot of rain the last couple of days my garden is like a bog I have someone coming to see what is causing the water logging.

Bye ladies and thanks again for all your support during this difficult time.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #5  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had lovely sunshine for most of the day; it was cool but the sun made it feel warmer. We spent the morning putting up that new clothesline and it works great.

VAL ~ That's Ok; get lots of rest after all that travelling.

PURPLE ~ WOW, seems our prayers were answered big time for your Dad; I am so glad that he is better and that there is nothing too major wrong with him afterall: how nice is that??? Tres, tres, nice ~ that's what? I'm sure you'll enjoy having your mom and Dad stay with you for awhile too.

You'll be back in the swing of things in no time, but all that walking has helped if you have continued to lose all the while. Good for you; wish it was that easy for me. Are you on a low carb plan? I have been meaning to ask you that for a while, but with so much going on in both our lives, I kept forgetting.

WELL, our day was pretty good; spent the afternoon sending out prayers for some friends and neighbours and others who made requests. We had fish for dinner becuz that is one of DH's favorites. Seems our car is still acting up; DH went to move it and it wouldn't start. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Hope you all have a great Friday; last day of the week VAL!!!

WE hope our new big gift comes tomorrow or maybe it will arrive on the weekend, at the latest; I've been very anxious waiting for it to get here. Take good care of yourselves ladies; get lots of rest and have a great evening ... ROSEBUD
Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I can not say it how good it is to be back and able to post more regular now. Though during this busy time I had met without really thinking about it was now on the not so accurate scale but one we seem to use I am now classified as overweight. Never in my wildest dreams did I every think that I would achieve being overweight from being clinically morbidly obese. Looking back till then my diet has improved dramatically and I now eat more healthily. I often get asked about whether I feel better now I have lost the weight. Though unfortunately I feel no better as like many of us on here we have health issues that will never go away no matter how much weight we lose.

ROSEBUD Yes it is wonderful that Dad is slowly getting back on his feet. Though he did have a heart attack and now this is his 3rd that he has had since he was 55 and now he is 75. Thanks for your well wishes they were very comforting when times were difficult.

You asked whether I was on a low carb plan. I do not have much bread per day only one slice at most 2. I have only a small portion of potatoes. For example I have 2 small pieces of boiled or steamed potatoes. I also have low fat so very little margarine or butter. I have very seldomly pastry, cake or biscuits. I have lots of vegetables and fruits. I also have normally no more than 6 oz of protein. I find in many ways I eat loads more than I previously did just more of the right stuff

Time for me to go and do some more food preparation for tomorrows meals. Bye for now
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #7  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Well I hope your all having a nice bank holiday weekend with friend or family. It is hard to believe that another month has crept up upon us. The Monday for us in the UK is a bank holiday so no work or school for many people. This is for the 1st of May which was in the middle of the week so to speak so they take the first Monday after that for a holiday.

I have just realise today that another milestone had been reached without me knowing with all that had been going on. I have now gone into the unknown territory onederland this is the lightest I have been I think all my adult life. So kind of scary on one hand but exciting on another.

Today I have done a little washing of mainly of bath towels so hoping the weather holds out and it dries outside. Though rain is forecast later in the day. I am also in the process of making a jelly (jello) with fresh fruit and sugar free jelly (jello). Another sneaky way to get fruit in to DH and it look like a dessert in his eyes I have a low calorie topping to put on top and you don't need very much either. So that will be for Sunday tea. Being rather adventurous for tea we are having ostrich burger. I know that they are very low in cholesterol and calories than other meat. I bought them today off the farmers Market that comes locally once a month.

Time to finish my coffee from dinner and start making tracks with my chores left for the day.

bye bye ladies till next time
Old 05-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #8  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ Friday was a kinda stressor day for us; our new big gift was to arrive, but it has had a delay until Monday, I'm afraid. Oh well, good things come to those who wait, they say. Unfortunely, the car that DH bought in January has been giving us lots of grief since April; and he has been very upset to say the least. He feels embarrassed that he didn't notice a few things until after we got it home and were driving it; I didn't want to say anything to make him feel any worse.

ANYWAYS, the dang thing just up and stopped working for us yesterday; DH couldn't get it to go the life of him, so he had to hitch a ride to go do the final arrangements for me. I saw that we were having to many problems with it and it looked like more were coming, so last Saturday I went out and bought another newer car. I had to wait to say anything until the deal was done. There is no doubt in my mind that someone upstairs is watching out for us and anticipated the problems we were having and that they were gonna get a whole lot worse.

We had met this lady a while ago and DH asked her to remember us if she ever decided to buy a new car; so she decided to buy a new one this year and a friend of ours asked her if we could have her old one. It was kinda ironic that we had already asked her about it a while back. So we got a call to go look at it; and I told DH that I was picking the next car because I was upset about this last one.

So this one is much better, but we had to wait until Monday for all the paper work and formalities to get completed. I wanted to come and let you know what was up. Tonight we stayed home and played games and listened to the GOLDEN OLDIES on our local station; heck we are stranded right now anyways ~ LOL! But GOD is looking after us afterall, as always ...

PURPLE ~ you are doing fantastic girl; your steady losses amazes me; you must be getting a lot more exercise than you think; and your plan must be really good for you as well. I am not into all the labels that people use out there, but I am so glad for you that you are into the 'onederland' stage where you haven't been since you were young. Yes, it can be scary; I have lost weight enuff times to know what you mean.

If you are only eating one or two slices of bread a day; plus a small amount of tators, that is low carb which isn't the same a no-carb. That is probably why you are losing faster. I am eating regular amounts of bread becuz my plan is different than yours; sounds like your plan is much lower calorie than mine too. Since I started higher, I was worried about going too low at the start. Lately, I have been asking myself questions like 'Is this a HEALTHY thing to eat?' and find that helps me to make better choices.

BTW, I am so glad your DAD is recuperating from his heart attack so well; but it sounds like things are getting better for him too. Will continue to pray for a quick and complete recovery for him. How interesting, your DAD is the same age as mine ~ LOL!

VAL ~ Hope you have a great weekend; get lots of rest. Did your parents leave yet to their new destination, or were they just getting ready for the move soon? I know they were packing up a trailer recently with your help.

ONE day this week, I got a lot of walking in (too much really); but I was very sore afterwards and have had to do only shorter walks for the rest of the week becuz of that. My legs have been giving me some trouble this week. I've been staying on plan for the most part, but maybe I can tweak things a bit more. Tonight we had steak, veggies, salad, and brown rice for dinner; it was really nice too.

WELL, I just wanted to come and check in; we have rain out there tonight and it's coming down quite heavy right now. This is our first really big rain this spring, I think. It's supposed to continue tomorrow, but be sunny again by Monday.

Have a great weekend ladies, and take good care of yourselves ~ your friend ROSEBUD
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #9  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

The weather has been very cloudy all day though up to this point it still has not rained. Dispite it being cloudy it is not too cold you can go out in just a sweater or cardigan and no coat need so definately getting warmer.

ROSEBUD
I really hope that your new car is better than the last one. Cars are so expensive to buy and run. The trouble is unless you are an expert in that field of cars we do not know really what we are purchasing. Like probably in Canada fuel here is very expensive. For petrol (gas) it is about £1.09 ( $2.19 CAD ) and for diesel it is about £1.17 ($2.35 CAD). This is the price per litre as we work in the decimal system here rather than the imperial of pints and gallons.

Thanks for your congratulations when I started on this weight loss journey I did eat more bread and potatoes but if I reached a plateau and did not shift for several weeks I just lessen those sorts of things and increased the vegetables to fill up on. Hence my dinner plate if you break it up like a clock I have 30 to 40 minutes worth of just plain steamed vegetables on my plate. If I am hungry I do not let myself go hungry I will eat an apple or a banana to take that off. I try not to go more that 3 or 4 hours between my meals for example that way I am not so likely to go nibbling at all the naughty things because I am starving.

It is good that you are questioning is this good to eat as I do that all the time. I also see the amount of calories of somethings and think yikes I could eat a whole meal for that amount. So I do not waste my calories so readily now. Not that I do not stray from time to time because I do but I use them times as treats and that keeps me on the straight and narrow. I have found few low calorie desserts that I can make myself that helps with that sweet tooth that seems to keep biting me Though I think the most important thing is Rosebud is that we are now eating so much more healthier than we were a few years back and that can only be good.

Yes I do get exercise in that I do not think about. I am up and down from my chair like a jack in the box as I get so stiff if I sit for very long though on the other hand my back kills if I stand for too long so it is a balancing act. My DH often thinks I have ants in my pants So all that movement counts I suppose as exercise.

I am a little unsure what my body is doing at the minute since Friday I have had numbness in my feet and that has been creeping upwards to the point it is now up to my waist. I hate to say it is like when I first had my first symptoms of MS. I suppose the past weeks events have taken their toll on my body and now it is biting me and reminding me that I must take things more easy. Everyone helps me in the home whilst I have mum and dad stopping with me but stress can be a factor which I had buckets of for weeks before.

Time to wash up from tea.

bye bye ladies

Last edited by purpleorc; 05-04-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #10  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ We had a beautiful sunny day today; earlier than they expected. We had a bonfire tonight; I love them as they are so pretty. Got a call from my sis today: always love talking to her. We had a nice restful day today and a very simple dinner of bangers and beans for a change. DH had his banger on whole wheat buns; I had baked beans with mine instead plus a bit of salad too. I just had a craving for it; but it all fit into our healthy eating plan.

PURPLE ~ I can really relate to some of the things you talk about your health. Even though I don't have MS, some of the physical problems you have are so similar to mine it's weird. If I sit too long my legs start to go numb so I have to get up and walk around; I can't stand at the counter too long or my back hurts (the spina bifida problem there) from the angle and I can't repeat bending motions or my back screams with pain ...

I was having a problem with tinglies and numbness in my feet and hands, but this is getting better; I have to make sure to have rests and get my legs up though. Stress does seem to make it worse (you see the similarities); and it will cause my anxieties to get worse, so I have to be careful to keep a very positive focus as that helps me a lot. I love singing and reading upbeat stuff; and writing songs and poems help me a lot too.

I REALLY hope that you are feeling better soon; yes you have been thru a lot lately so try and get some rest too. I will pray about those nummies for you as that can't be a good feeling at all; and I really do know how it feels.

WELL, tomorrow we get our newer car tested and by the end of the day, we should have a really nice car to drive; can't wait. Hope all goes well; I'm sure everything will be OK though. We had a mechanic friend there with us and he went for a ride in it with us and was really excited about how nice the car was, so that gave us an even better impression. I'll take some pics of it to put up as well later.

VAL ~ Hope you're well and having a great weekend too. We've noticed that some foods bother us too now. I don't like the fatty stuff either as it gives me upset tummy now; kind of greasy burps too ... yuuukkkkkkk ....

TAKE good care ladies and have a great night, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #11  
M.S. + living balance

this is the 3rd time I've tried to come by and post... things are busy. or I get distracted. ha ha... short attention span over here

Purple so good to have you back. You must need to rebuild so much energy! I wont tell you how to take care of yourself but you know what you need to do! I'm glad things have stablized somewhat for your Dad... and now hopefully for you.

Rosebud... I caught snippets.. your newly purchased vehicle decided to give up so you suprised DH and found a replacement? How is that going? Yay pictures! I took photos of my chevy optra hatchback - I purchased it in January and have to send pics to my friends.

It turns out.. work is sending me to Edmonton. I'm flying out on Saturday to university of Alberta for a week long university seminar.. year one towards getting a certificate in economic development. Then turns out... I also have funding to attend the year two seminar at university of waterloo in ontario at the end of this month. My 'dream' is to have a job that pays me to go to school... and while I didnt study economic development I know there's value is getting as much free training as I can. It'll be a busy month!

nitey nite!
Val

Last edited by valpal23; 05-05-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #12  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Nice warm day here today, though cloudy, I have both my front and back door open as it is so warm inside. Our dog loves it when the front door is open as he spends hours just sitting there playing what we call nosey neighbour. Our neighbours love to see him sitting out there and miss him in winter.

Did some experiment today in cooking. Did chicken breast (small ) and stuffed with sage and onion stuffing. Then wrapped in bacon oh they were so moist and tasty. I though it would be a nice change for bank holiday Monday. I then made sure the rest of the dinner was low calories with being steamed vegetables. Every one seemed to enjoy it so my little experiment went down a treat.

ROSEBUD
Yes I am getting an understanding of your condition of spina bifida that it has its own challenges and pains that come with it. In many ways we have the same challenges with mobility, pain, stiffness pins and needles and stiffness. So it is nice to be able to support each other through these. My numbness still is here and maybe for some days. I can not seem to sit for long today, so I am up and down like a yoyo. DH and dad are watching the womans FA cup final and I am listening to it. Mum is reading her book.

VALPAL Nice to hear from you. I understand that concentration is difficult at times. Sometime I just can not read yet I am passionate about it. Yet at times I have the concentration span of a gnat and reading is out of the question.

I am trying to rest as much as possible to aid my body healing process though at times it never goes quick as you would like it. Fortunate very one is mucking in and helping me out with daily chores but it is taking its toll the past few weeks worry.

Wow what a busy schedule you have with work and education. Though it would be lovely if you ever got the dream job. I was fortunate that nurse training was broke up with time at the school of nursing and time on various wards. I am not denying that it was not hard work as some of my nursing shifts were 13 hours long then you had to come home and study. But I was paid to go to school to get my qualification that I wanted. So many nights with very little sleep but I felt and still do that it was all worth it.

Right time for a brew ( cup of tea ) so till next time tara

Last edited by purpleorc; 05-05-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #13  
Rosebud

HULLO LADIES ~ our weather was not too bad; a bit cold with sun on and off (in snippits). Did take NIKO for a walk, but had to come back early as the winds out in the field made it feel like winter was back ~ LOL! Next time, I'll just put on my parka!

ANYWAYS ~ the new(er) car is still at the garage; had to order some parts; thanks goodness they are all small things, but will still have to pay the mechanic to put them on; so as DH says, 'We are still afoot!' Actually, I'm just staying home, but the GOOD NEWS is: that the mechanic says that our new(er) car is a KEEPER ... YEAH!!!!!!! He says that it is in remarkable condition; and we really got a great deal ... YEAH!!!!!!!

In the end, it will cost us a bit more, but we still got a bargain because it had a higher value than we paid. GOD bless our dear friends who introduced us and had a generous heart too! I just stayed home while DH did all the running around, but lots of good Samaritans have been helping him out earning mega reward points for themselves in heaven, I'd say ...

VAL ~ WOWIE ... that IS a dream job you have there; one that pays you to take courses and travel all over the country at the same time. In Kitchener-Waterloo, there is a huge open market under a roof (in a large arena) downtown; try to go to it if you can. Mega veggies and other tastey treats to try and see. It's downtown Kitchener which is the other side of the city (Kitchener & Waterloo are two cities that ran into each other and are now one). I have an Uncle who lives there right now. You have an amazing year coming up for you; enjoy every minute of it.

PURPLE ~ that wasn't too bad to be paid to go to school and get your nursing degree; sounds like a real blessing to me too. Glad you are feeling a bit better and enjoying having MOM & DAD around. That chicken dish sounds really yummy and healthy too; love new ideas, as I'm the type of person who gets bored with the same old, same old ...

WELL, that's all for me right now; I spent the evening on my PC, writing letters and such. We will have that car done this week as long as all the right parts come in for it; as soon as I do, I'll take some pics and post them. Take good care, Chickies ~ your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #14  
M.S. + living balance

Wow Rosebud - we'll have to check that market out. I hear that usually the students from these programs go out every evening... so I'll try to take advantage of that. I'll aim to find a balance between socializing like everybody else and resting... Edmonton is going to be crazy too. I am SO shopping in West Edmonton Mall!

Purple wow.. 13 hour shifts AND school. I dont think I could do that.

i came by to say.. .I SIGNED MY MORTGAGE TODAY. Possession is June 1st! ahhhh
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/185/155

Height: 5'10

Default New

I went through a massive surgery about two years ago. I spent three months in the hospital and went through near death experiences about 4 times. While I was in the hospital I dropped to 140 plbs or below.

Of course since I've been back my health has been fragile and I put on weight. I'd like to get down to the 150s but I have a hard time sticking to a diet thought recently I've been exercising and walking. I even ran 1/2 a mile last night! The down side is when I exert myself life that its very hard to do anything the next day.

Looking for support,
Kat
Closed Thread