Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #175

Good afternoon. I think it's time to start a new thread, as we are already at page 7.

Mima - your daughter made a lovely bride. The wedding sounds like it was nice, but now it's over and you can relax. It IS fun to plan them, however. I loved doing it when my daughter got married. Hope you get right as rain soon, and I also pray that your aunt will get the help she needs. Isn't Josh moving at the end of this month? Surely he must give you a months notice from the beginning of the month, the same as you have to give him!

Tammy - I take it you had a good weekend. Soon you will be leaving for Orlando - AGAIN!!! Hope you and Tim have fun, as I am sure you will.

Joanne - I think you need to send your puppy for obedience classes. He is soon old enough to know better, I think. Are you finished with all the bathes for him, now? Go get your toenail looked after, because you sure don't want it infected.

Meme - good to see you back for a bit. Hope you don't stay away so long, we miss you when you are gone.

The darn weather is so up and down here. Can't decide if it wants to be Spring or Winter. It wreaks havoc with my poor body. It is pain central right now, and I wish it would go away. Got some Pain Erase and it does help with the pain, but it makes me cold. Anybody have that problem with all the rubs??

Hope everybody is having a decent day.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Christie has settled down some.. I just keep firm control on her . The baths are done as far as I am concerned. She still has a few red spots but I am hoping they will go away.
The toe is sore.. I have been soaking it and pouring alcohol and peroxide on it. I did go to a podiatrist for all the good it did.. She just said be sure and cut straight across.. Duh!! I cut down in the corner because it grows ingrown..I don't think I got all the nail out and it got sore.. When it heals enough to not hurt so bad I will give it another try.
Hello Everybody...Joanne
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #3  

Anne, thanks for starting the new thread!! I agree about the weather. It was about 32 this morning, this afternoon it was 65. I haven't had the problem with the rubs with getting cold. I rarely get cold anymore. I tell Bob it is an age thing. Yes, Tim and I will be leaving on Monday. Bob and I went to Muncie tonight to pick up some of Tim's stuff so he won't have so much to bring home on Sat. night. His futon wouldn't fit in his car anyway, so we had to go for that.

Joanne, I remember having ingrown toenails when I was a kid. OUCH!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #4  

Great to be back to FL, Tammy. What a nice picture, Anne-I pictured you with dark hair.
Hey Tammy, can you go to Ft Myers and pick up the pics I sent their at Walmart by mistake-I was supposed to send them here. At least they are not Wedding pics and we will be down there on the 29th and will be at Walmart that day,
We told Josh at the same time he told us but I suggested that he use his last month's rent to pay for some of the money he owes us, I guess he is going to because he says he will be out in a couple of days. We are chalking it up to a learning experience. I even let him set up his router again -it's also his phone.
Joanne-do you have any toenail clippers that almost look like scissors-that's what I use to get the toenail out. I am sure the podiatrist would do it different-and put some betadyne on it after you soak. Mine is just a lot of thick stuff-I need to go to the podiatrist but I am going to too many docs right now, Today I will see about my back.
Adveritising the camper in Toronto and Montreal And around here=all I got was a scheme to get money. They give you a check for more money and then you cash it and give them money back, Craig's list says to watch out for that so I said cash only. Duh!
Sue and Jim are not going away. He is leaving on the 14th and will be away for 40 days and then come back for 4, and then the big sendoff. Thank God he is going to Kuwait, But nowhere is safe,
Bye for now-Mima
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5  

Good morning.

Mima - I actually did have darker hair, when it was my own color. It is now pretty gray, but the color I have in the picture is not too bad. When we bought the car in the USA, we had to wire the money to him before hand, and that worked out just fine. It can be a real headache for a Canadian purchasing a vehicle or trailer in the US. You have to have all the documentation at the US border 72 hours prior to going through it. You need the bill of sale, the original owner title, and a capasal of other things. We just NOW finished getting the car registered; Carfax said their was NO recall on this car, but Vintage Cars Canada said their was. It's for those stickers that have to be on the windvisor to tell you to look on the back for the airbag instructions. It isn't even needed in Canada. It took them a MONTH before they finally let it go. It was NEVER a recall IN Canada. Anyway, the car is now Canadian.

Are you going back to Florida, Mima? Also, how was your cruise? Any pictures?

Tammy - Is Tim finished for this term? I guess you are looking forward to having him home again. I really liked the Orlando area, especially Cape Canaveral and Coco Beach area. Loved it there.

Hi Joanne and Meme. Have to run, as it is a work day. Have a good one.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #6  

Mima, I don't think we'll be in Ft. Myers while we are there. Otherwise I'd stop in and get them for you. Someone else did that recently, but I can't remember who it was.

Anne, Tim finished his exams yesterday, but he has to stay until Saturday night to check out residents of the dorm and do room checks. He figures he should be home by midnight on Saturday. After all of the residents are gone, they have a meeting for all of the staff members. He will be doing the same job next year as of right now. He has had several problems these past few weeks with the guys on his floor. He can't wait to get away from them!! He only did the job 2nd semester, but the guy who did the job 1st semester was a bad role model. He would drink with the guys on the floor and they were all underage. I guess he caused quite a few problems before he lost his job.

We are doing house cleaning today. Bob's nieces will be here tomorrow. One is from Chicago, the other one is from Tampa. The one from Chicago hasn't seen us in several years, so I know it will be a shock when she sees Bob since he doesn't look or act like himself anymore.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #7  

God morning- I love that hair color Anne. Wow-Brad is home for a few days-getting stuff done.
Well that sure sounds like a hassle to get a vehicle across. Josh had to take a trip to the border when his furniture came. This time he is going to Arizona til September. I guess he won't neesd heat there. He is moving Monday and flying out on Wed. We are going to offer him our air mattress.
Well, every doc I go to finds something else/yesterday i was tokd I had scoliosis and I have hyper mobility-it's the opposite of stiff and harder to treat. That's why I tore my rotator cuff doing yoga stretching.
I have 12 sessions of therapy coming up and then go back in 2 months to see if I still need a brace or orthotics. I go for my first session today. The doc was so funny-a joke a minute. He praised me for my attitude about fibro-said I should talk to his other fibro patients- I said you can't give up and lay on the couch and take drugs. For sure-nome of us do that.
Bobby called and invited me for Mother's day-Suzanne and Jim will be there. It's halfway to their house.

Bye for now-Mima Busy-busy we all are!!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #8  

Default Hey There

Went to dr. today. I thought he was going to inject my knee.. Instead he set me up for a few tests..Then he said he would inject the knee..They had me come in early so I think he just needed to get out of the office..He said I had a cist and a lot of athritis in the knee.. Yeah something I didn't know..HA I told him if I needed a new knee I didn't want to wait till it was too hard to rehab..
Your hair color is much the same as mine ,Happy.. But I was blond when I was younger. It got darker as I got older. I colored it darker but never seem to cover the grey,, So back to the blond . The white blends in.
Took care of the ingrown toe nail.. Good till the next time..
have a good weekend everybody..Joanne
Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #9  

Well, mine is blonde also=it does blend in. Meme is the only one with dark and it looks beautiful too. Mine was mousy brown but I started doing the frosting a long time ago, It;s cheaper because you don't have it done often.
Go for the knee-Joanne.
I went to Pt for the evaluation-ouch-she made me do all kinds of things-my legs are weak and I walk a lot???? 2X a week. And at home.
Hey Tammy at Disney!!!!
Gotta get the rest of the gifts for the party tomorrowe plus Al's bd-she will be 18 on Friday. Mike called-she had an MRI for an hour because her back hurts, She def needs PT because of the way she has to sit, She also got a new wheelchair.
Glad your toenail is better-Joanne,
Bye for now Mima
Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  

Mima, hope the therapy goes well. My hair is dark also with some gray thrown in when I haven't colored. lol

Joanne, I am wondering about asking the dr. about injecting my left knee when I go in Aug. The right one is fine.

I know tomorrow will be busy getting ready to leave on Monday early, so I don't know if I'll be back on here. We get in late next Saturday night. Tim called and he'll be home about midnight tonight.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #11  

Have a great time, Tammy. It's still raining-bah humbug. We went to the restaurant where we had our first date-the second time around-to clebrate our anniversary. We had gone out a few times 2 years before that but Brad had someone else and he had some lessons to learn. Haha-Then again, so did I.
Birthday party today-it's the cake and potato chip party for 4 people. Finally got all the gifts.
Haven't heard from the bride for a few days=they are on their honeymoon. Going to read the paper before Sunday school. Mima
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #12  

Default Hey There

Tammy- If the knee is hurting ask him.. Mine didn't get injected yet. So it is to the pain pills that don't help.Have a good trip..
Mima- You won't hear from the bride for awhile,if it is anything like my son.. He seldom calls. They are so involved with each other and work..Be glad for the rain.. We aren't getting any down here.. Send some to us..
Tomorrow I go for a chest xray..Tuesday I go for a swallowing exray.. He thinks I may have a obstruction in my throat.. Reflux dx..That could be the cause of cough and chest pain..RUSTY YEARS!!
Hello Meme,Happy..Joanne
Old 05-05-2008, 05:09 AM   #13  

Joanne, I hope they find something they can fix!The best to you/ Rain gobe and nice weather for a few days. I have a bad sore throat. Don't have tome to be sick.
Josh is moving-praying for no surprises.
The party was good-got to see Keith-he is so cute-he walks like a weeble. And the new baby. Spent some time talking to Brad's sister and Brett-etc.
His other sister is having problems with her stomache and daughter trying to take care of her, work and go to school. What a situation.
Another busy week-2 PT appointments, car serviced-lunch on Wed and marriage group coming Friday night. Then the weekend.
How did I have time to work. Hi all. Mima
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #14  

Good morning.

Had a great weekend. Went to Edmonton, as it was DIL birthday, and my hubby's. Went out for dinner on Saturday night, had a family get together yesterday with bcake. The best was playing with my little gdaughter. She is just so darn cute and funny. I can't believe she will be 2 yrs. old on the 21May. Time just goes so fast. No baby left. Of course, I also enjoyed my two older gkids - I have good conversations with Ashley (my first baby). James, well what can I say. He is just busy and very different from the girls.

Mima - you are busy, but that is what keeps one young. Seniors no longer sit in a rocker and knit! When I had my mobile clothing store business, we went to all the seniors lodges, and nursing homes in Alberta. I NEVER realized how many 100 year old people there were and they were healthy! It was great to see.

Joanne - glad you took care of your toe. Now, they just need to take care of the knees. It's always something going on, isn't it! I would love to have my hair a bit darker, but it is hard to cover the gray, and then you would be having to get it done very often to keep the gray covered. The blond allows it to blend in. I was a blondie, with natural curly hair until I was about 12, and then my hair started to change color, and it lost the curl, but retained great body. My hair LOVES humidity. I wouldn't really have to do anything with it for days, if I lived in a humid place. Also, my skin loves humidity. Just the old bones and muscles than don't.

Tammy, I guess, is away having fun in Florida again.

Meme - Hi, if you pop in. Hope your day is going well. Wish you would come more often, as I miss you. We have been together for a long time now!

Here is a little blippy thing I got in my e-mail today on diabetes. I am sure that you all know this but I am posting it anyway.
** How You Could Control Your Blood Sugar Before it
Controls You
-- by Cate Stevenson, BA

When you have problems with your blood sugar, you have
to pay close attention to the effect food has on your body.
Having diabetes means that you may have to adjust the
amount and type of food you eat in order to keep your
blood glucose levels within a normal range.

When you eat carbohydrates, proteins and fats, they are
digested and broken down into glucose. This can cause
your blood sugar to spike. The tricky part is that each of
these food groups is broken down in the body at different
rates and therefore affects blood glucose levels differently.

So which food affects blood glucose levels the most? If you
guessed carbohydrates, you're right. Your body is capable
of breaking down 100% of sugars and starches (two
common carbs) into glucose in about two hours. In the past,
diabetics were warned not to have any sugar in their diet.
But medical researchers now know that both sugar and
starch are broken down into glucose at the same speed. The
issue has now become not what kind of carb you eat, but
the total amount of carbs in your diet. The more carbs you
eat, whatever the source, the more your blood glucose
levels are affected.

Proteins and fats will affect your blood glucose levels less
than carbohydrates. Researchers have been able to
determine that only about 50% of proteins are eventually
broken down into glucose. This process usually takes three
to five hours.

Only about five percent to 10% of fat is changed into
glucose. It takes your body six to eight hours to do this.
However, fat still plays a role in elevating blood glucose. It
blocks the action of insulin, speeding up the time it takes
for food to travel through your intestines. You'll want to be
careful with fats, because, although your blood sugar may
not rise initially, it might spike after a few hours.

Try to figure out how your body responds to different
foods. Keep a diary. With a little bit of effort, you should
be able to determine which foods, in which combinations,
make your blood glucose rise rapidly.

Remember that insulin works with the foods you eat. If you
can balance things out, this is the best way to control
diabetes. If you eat too much food for the insulin level that
is available to you, your blood glucose level will be too
high. On the other hand, if you eat too little, your glucose
level will be too low.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:59 AM   #15  

What a good article and so informative.
No surprises when the moving truck came. I went out in the yard and then Brad came home and he hung around-talked to the mover. The end of a learning chapter.
I have pt at 8:30-I did a little raking and I am sore.
Whatever the function is-it';s the kids that make me happy too. Keith was so cute on Sunday and Evan was hysterical at the wedding.
Bye for now-going to order a long overdue Netti Pot. Mima
Closed Thread