Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

Default side affect w/wellbutrin..ANYONE??

Can someone please tell me if they had major side affects with wellbutrin? I love the fact that I feel motivated and energy but I am moody and snappy. I feel like I cant even smile....Feel a little spaced out. What to do. I dont want to go back to the other drugs that just make me happy and no energy....I have to call and report into the dr in a few days. What were the side affects of other people?? Please can someone give me some help!!!
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You basically just described my reaction to Wellbutrin, both times I took it.

I get things done, but I turn into a raging maniac. At least you are aware of it...I turn into a crazy, snappy, grouchy person and have no idea (literally - I feel like I'm acting normally and everyone else is like "why are you being so MEAN?"). The last time I tried Wellbutrin, I had to stop within a month - I was afraid I was going to end my marriage with the meanness and aggressiveness.

Not all antidepressants work for all people. There aren't ANY that work for me, at least not in the many I've tried, so I've decided to go without for now. Wellbutrin is the only one that caused the crankiness, though.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #3  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Do you mind sharing how long you have been on Wellbutrin? I ask because I have learned that it can take several weeks for a medication to normalize into your system. So the first week or two can result in atypical or atypically strong side-effects. That being said, Mandalinn is right - not all anti-deps work for everyone. In my case, I went off Wellbutrin due to negative side-effects (basically, it made me paranoid and a bit manic).

When you touch base with your doctor, be candid about your reaction to the med, and voice your concerns. He or she may have some good insights for you based on your dosage, medication maturation, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by Amarie2pt0; 04-30-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #4  

I have only been on it a week and a day I have to check in with him at 2 weeks from the day I started it. I was reading on some other sites about people that have taken this and some say it does take a little bit for the stuff to get in your system and then some of the side effects are not as bad. I dont know it just sucks because this seems to really be helping me do what i need to do and stay motivated not want to just sleep all the time!! I didnt realize how bad i was until i took this and do all kinds of stuff throughout the day!! ok thanks girls...hopefully i can start a ticker soon!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #5  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

wellbutrin takes 6 to 8 weeks to take full affect. So.... maybe you have more energy because the other meds made you exhausted and you're feeling more moody because the other meds helped you feel happier. Give it a few more weeks. It hasnt built up in your system enough to make a significant change.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #6  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

Height: 5'8"

I was on Wellbutrin for about 6 months. I felt totally crappy while taking it, mood swings, anexiety, major weepiness (I would cry for no reason at all) and just general bitc_iness. I came off it and went on celexa, everything's been great since.
Halichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #7  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

I have been on Wellbutrin for years. Up and down on the dosage too depending on my moods (from 150mg/day to 450mg/day). Never had any problems with it. It worked well for me. Everyone varies.

Often the initial side-effects of anti-depressants and other psych meds fade over time.

Good luck with it. Keep in contact with your doc.

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #8  

Thanks for the advice. I do want to try and give it a little long like some of you said it takes a while before your system gets it. There are more positives to it than negatives. I dont just eat junk to eat it...in fact I dont even really want junk anymore. I got on the tread mill today first since i got the thing. Hopefully the snappy mood thing goes away!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/168/140

Default Side effects

It seems to be working well for me. I started on Effexor last November, but my weight crept up 10 pounds despite diet and exercise- wow how frustrating.

Dr. Switched me to Wellbutrin 3 wks ago. 1st 300 mg. now 400 mg. 2 times a day since it seemed to wear out to early. I have lots of energy and best yet I have lost 9 pounds! In 4 weeks.

No side effects except a little bit wired if I take 2nd dose too late. Getting off the effexor has been relly hard though. I am down to 1/2 a dose every 2 days but still get really out of body experiences and skin prickles!
stitchwitch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #10  

Oh wow that would freak me out with those things and trying to get off of it. I am just trying to stick with the wellbutrin cause i dont lay around anymore..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/166.8/135

Height: 5'5"

I have been on Welbutrin since Sept...and I love it. It really helped with the cravings at first. I do see that I can get aggrevated easily, so I have to stop and refocus. I was on Lexapro before this because I just kept crying for no reason and the Lexapro just stopped my emotions completely. I am on 300 mgs a day.
Kimber1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #12  

wow you sound exactly like me...that is crazy...