Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Prison Diet

That is one way to lose
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2  
No description available.

Poor baby, wasting away.

[/sarcasm]
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #3  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

OMG, can you say FRIVOLOUS???? He should be thanking them, they are saving his life....
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #4  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I saw this story on the Smoking Gun website. In the guy's written complaint about how the prison is starving inmates to death, he often complains about the inadequate size of the cakes or the small amount of cookies inmates get. He also blames his breathlessness when doing physical activity on the fact that he is being starved to death...
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If he hadn't committed a crime , he wouldn't be in prison and could eat anything he wants. Don't spose he has considered that,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I worked in juvenile detention for five years, and as an adult probation officer for three. When I worked in detention, we had to eat the same food the kids did (we could bring food in, but only if the kids could not see us eating it, which was very impractical). The food was exactly what they served the adult jail inmates, except that if there were any leftovers, the kids and staff could have seconds.

In my experience, jail food is generally not of the highest nutrition, but generally the problem is the opposite of what this man is claiming. Most inmates actually gain weight while incarcerated, because the food is starchy, fatty and high in calories. It's "institutional" food, not much different than I remember dorm food actually, where fat is added rather than seasonings to make cheap ingredients palatable to the most people.

We were told that the jails actually intentionally add fat so as to prevent inmates from losing weight (as evidence against claims of being starved).

Even with this man's claims, the jail holding him will undoubtedly defend themselves by (truthfully) stating that most inmates actually gain weight on the diet. The jail nurse will also testify that the man is in better health having lost the 100 lbs. It's extremely unlikely that he will win this lawsuit.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And if he wins this lawsuit but is convicted of murder , what will he do with the money ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Actually most prisons allow inmates a savings account they can use for buying items from the commissary (candy, snacks, television sets, stereos, books, stationery, MP3 players, cigarettes, etc), but I think there is a cap on how much can be purchased monthly.

I would still bet money against his winning the lawsuit though. My guess is that this might be a strategy he or his attorney cooked up in order to offer to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a plea agreement of some type. I would guess that it will work to a degree. States' Attorney's offices generally are very willing to accept plea agreements (bird in the hand, logic), but they're not going to offer much in return for an obviously bogus law suit vs a murder conviction.

Now, if the state's case against him is super air-tight, they won't accept a plea from him, and he'll still probably lose in the "starvation" case.

Another possibility:

In the county I worked for, there was a diabetic inmate who didn't file a law suit, but did file a complaint about the food, and our county paid to have a nutritionist come up with an individualized plan for him (which wasn't much different than what the other inmates were getting, except he didn't get any of the super sweet desserts) AND when the inmate was discharged, the county sent him a bill for the consult with the nutritionist and the specialized modifications of his meals.

Now that would be poetic justice.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-29-2008 at 07:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

At the bottom of the article it said that this lawsuit was done without a lawyer!!! LOL so he doesn't even have a chance.. His lawyer won't even back him on it!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #10  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Many prisoners file numerous frivolous lawsuits without the aid of a lawyer. They go to the law library in the prison, read up on the process, then just start filing on their own.

They do it because they have a lot of time on their hands, and that is one way to pass the time.

Also, they can file their claims for FREE (most people have to pay a filing fee and other court costs) because they have been deemed by the courts to be indigent.

So there are no financial obstacles to them filing as many claims as they want, for anything they can think of. If the cases get tossed or they lose, it costs them nothing. But if they win, they get something out of it after all. It's win-win for them.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

The article comments that the prison diet averages 3000 calories a day -- doesn't sound like starvation levels for most people.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

yeah it commented that most people gain weight while in prison. I don't want to know how much he ate before he was in prison... ICK!!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

YUCK! I have a feeling this prison diet is probably rather gag-worthy.

Very interesting story, though.

"In the county I worked for, there was a diabetic inmate who didn't file a law suit, but did file a complaint about the food, and our county paid to have a nutritionist come up with an individualized plan for him (which wasn't much different than what the other inmates were getting, except he didn't get any of the super sweet desserts) AND when the inmate was discharged, the county sent him a bill for the consult with the nutritionist and the specialized modifications of his meals."

Wow. Just wow. The poor criminal probably had thousands of dollars in debt to pay towards the county once released. I almost feel bad for him.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 141/134/119

Height: 5'5

this is somewhat unrelated...but i laughed at this:
"The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services average 3,000 calories per day"

Aramark is the company that provides food for my college...we really are eating prison food...

on another note...i don't feel bad for the guy. a 3,000 calorie diet is way more than what anyone should be eating every day. and now he's healthier! so what's to complain about?
ashley916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley916 View Post
a 3,000 calorie diet is way more than what anyone should be eating every day.
Uh, no it's not, really. My DH needs at least 5,000 calories a day or he loses weight rapidly. When he works out and is working (very physical job) he needs as much as 8,000 and still doesn't gain weight.

He is an extreme example, being about 7 feet tall, but teen boys and athletes need nearly as much.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote