Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #1  

Default Wedding Dress Woes

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience ordering a wedding dress while losing weight. I'm getting married in October, and have gone from a 26 to almost a 22 in the past 7 weeks. The problem is, I have no idea how to predict what I'll be in October, but in order to get the dress I want, it has to be ordered (which takes 12 weeks, plus they say to allow 3 months for alterations).

So, I need to decide what size to order soon. They can go up one size in alterations, and down two sizes. I was thinking maybe I'd order an 18?? I just don't know, and of course the people at the dress shop are hesitant to order dresses much smaller than you are now because people are always coming in saying they'll lose weight before the wedding and don't.

I just don't want to spend $700 on a dress that might not fit one way or the other! Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #2  

Allow THREE MONTHS for alterations???? And three months to order it? How does ANYONE order a wedding dress that fits if you have to get it 6 months in advance? Is there another dress shop? I suppose you have your heart set on this dress already? Maybe you could find a seamstress who would make something similar, but would not need to get started until several months from now.

I am just SURE I didn't have to order that far in advance. I lost weight for my wedding, but I seem to recall I bought a dress off the rack in the shop. It was too tight when I tried it on, and they were going to let it out, but at my later fitting--which was certainly not 3 months ahead of time--it turned out that it fit perfectly, so I didn't need alterations. But I am SURE that I had not allowed three MONTHS for them had they been needed. Three WEEKS, maybe.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #3  
Whiskey's Mom

Default Wedding dress info

6 months is actually pretty standard on ordering and alterations on wedding dresses in large cities. My friend owned a bridal shop for several years and I used to help her out when she needed to go on vacation and such. This is my advice...

Wait another month or up until the 6 month window to order the dress - this will allow you to lose a little more weight and see where your at.

Order the dress the size you are at. It CAN be altered up to 4-5 sizes less. Not that this is going to happen but it is easier to remove fabric from a wedding dress than it is to add - I could tell you nightmare type stories . If you are not comfortable with that, don't go anymore than 1 size less than what you are at - I say this because you may hit a weight loss plateu.

Good luck to you and Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
Old 03-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #4  

I was surprised at how long they recommend to allow for, too! But, that's definitely the standard-every place I've tried on a dress, at least.

I think I will follow the advice to wait a while, though. I know someone who can do the alterations, so that should help with the time frame on the end there. Right now, there's a sale for a hundred dollars off, though, grr. I'm just afraid that if I have to take this dress down too far, it will look weird because of the pattern. Here's a pic, if you're interested: http://www.davidsbridal.com/show_dre...&this_thumb=73 (if this doesn't work, go to the davidsbridal link and put in the style code FE80801). I'm getting it in Ivory, and wearing a wrap instead of gloves. I don't think this picture does it justice, really. The design is really neat in person. There are little flecks of gold (which they call silver but they aren't), and it's more of a matte pattern than the typical sequin-y applique (which is more "me"). I'm just afraid that if it has to go down too far, the pattern on the top part will get cut off and look weird...

Other than dress issues, I'm very excited- thank you for the congrats
Old 03-07-2002, 04:57 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

the applique should not be an issue. 2 things .. I doubt that the applique gets bigger with the size of the dress, and the modele is probobly a size 4 so the applique will look smaller on a larger dress. and I also think it could more than likely be removed and then sewn bak on. it is not a pattern in the dress right? You may have to do that to have it lined up with the applique on the bottom front.

I think it is very pretty. You will make a lovely bride

I was in my brother's wedding almost 2 years ago and at a size 6 then I has to order a 14 dress. I did the alterations and it came out great, But a real shocker on the size thing.

be well,
-L
Old 03-07-2002, 07:05 PM   #6  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Sarahdelynn,
Congratulations on losing so much weight so quickly. You must be so happy! Also best wishes on your upcoming marriage.
I've had no experience with wedding gown alterations, etc. but I think the others have given you good advice.
234/211/199soon
Old 03-07-2002, 07:14 PM   #7  

Unfortunately, it isn't applique, the pattern is sewn into the dress (embroidery I suppose). I'm thinking I'll go back and look at a smaller size dress and compare the design size on the front and take it from there.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-08-2002, 02:27 PM   #8  
Whiskey's Mom

Default Wedding Dress

Just a little more info..

After seeing the dress (which is gorgeous!!!!! ) I completely back the advice I gave you. There are a lot of seams on this dress that will make it easier to alter which is a good thing. Wait up until your 6 month window - sorry you'll miss your sale but look for other shops that may carry that brand of dress and see if they are having a sale later. And buy the dress at the size you are at (BUT NO MORE than 1 size less).

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2002, 03:11 PM   #9  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Check the side seams and see how much fabric is there that won't invade the embroidery. Just by looking at the pic, I think you can easily alter the dress. BUT I agree DO NOT BUY MORE THAN 1 SIZE SMALLER!!! On average, it takes approximately 10 pounds to go down a dress size. I know the closer to my wedding date, the more stress and the less I lost. OK, I lost none for several months. You really don't want to get into a predicament like that.

So if you must, buy 1 size smaller at the max. I guess my honest gut feeling is that buying the size you are at is the best. A goos seamstress will be able to make flawless alterations!!
Closed Thread