Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Article - Toilet training cat was crappy idea

This was in our local paper today. The link is good just now although I'm not sure how long articles remain. I found it quite funny. I'm not sure either of our cats would play as nice as this one did.

Toilet training cat was crappy idea
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Oh, my - yes - it is a terrible idea. We adopted a stray that we later found out had been toilet trained. Not only did we have issues with kitty using the toilet, he thought the potty chair was a special "cat sized" commode. It was awful! I still cringe at the memory!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

As much as I love my fur-babies, I don't view them as "people". I've always thought the idea of trying to toilet train a cat to be completely ludicrous.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I used to think toilet training our two cats would be such a tidy solution! But that was before I read about this cat peeing in the sink! Anyhoo, I have two teenagers whose job it is to scoop cat litter every night so I don't usually have to do it anyway. I think we'll leave it just like it is for now.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #5  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Not only did we have issues with kitty using the toilet, he thought the potty chair was a special "cat sized" commode.
oh my!!!!!! I hate to laugh at your misery but I just could NOT help it! This is something my kitties would think for sure! sorry for laughing
"Day 37: I arrive home to discover that Pepper, who has become fascinated with the bathroom, has knocked over a container of cosmetic brushes, pulled a pile of hand towels from the top of the toilet tank on to the floor, slammed the toilet lid shut and sent Q-Tips flying all over. I lift the lid on the toilet and find the cosmetic brushes inside."
This is DEFINITELY something my cats would do just for FUN! I've learned to keep stuff that can be carried off or scattered about the house out of the reach of my kitties, usually in a cabinet!!
But I dream of the day that my cats will use the potty w/out any training on my part and in my dream they also look at me and say "well I thought you cleaned the box enough, it's time for you to take a break from that, oh and we know how to flush too!" yeah I know I'm a bit crazy!!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #6  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I have one cat that uses the toilet (we didn't train him he just does it), alas they do generalise. He will pee in the washing machine if the lid doesn't get put down, in the sink, down a drain and probably other places I don't know about! Luckily all my cats can come and go as they like so he usually only does it first thing in the morning when my husband and I get up to shower, he goes into the bathroom with us and jumps on toilet to pee or just stand there and wiggle his tail a bit -L- While my other cat will jump on top of the shower and perv on us while we shower. Cats are so cute but weird!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/177/135

Height: 5'4

I tried doing the toliet training with a cat I had years ago (16). This little idea came from a book I found and the tools were cat litter and sarah wrap. The first time the cat fell in, was the last time he went in the bathroom. My cats now, started peeing on the carpet when I tried to switch them from Arm N Hammer to Feline Pine.....so back to AnH I went. After that experient I cant even think about trying toliets!!!
Fluffybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #8  

That's a hilarious article. I Admin a cat board called Kitty Haven, and one of our members in Hong Kong has three cats that use the toilet. She has a picture on the site of them cued up for the toilet. LOL These are, without a doubt the most spoiled rotten cats I've ever seen.

http://www.kalebsmom.net/kittyhaven/...=4711&start=60
gaia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My cat (also named pepper, by the way) did ok peeing in the toilet. Unfortunately, in protest, he ended up pooping in my backpack.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #10  

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, in protest, he ended up pooping in my backpack./QUOTE]

Well, as long as you understood the message... "I want a little box"...
Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I once got an even clearer message.

I was living with my parents, and the only one home, and still in bed. Their new puppy was eating out of the litterbox, so we got a covered litterbox he couldn't get into. Out of sight, out of mind and the litter box got too dirty for the cat's standards, so she came up onto my bed, onto my back and started pawing around.

I thought she was settling in to lay on my back, so I did nothing. Then I felt the stream of wetness. I jumped out of bed so fast, I think she might have hit the wall.

Down the basement I went, bedding in hand to throw into the washer. Then took a shower - and of course, the first thing I did after that was to clean the litter box.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-13-2008 at 02:53 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

We thought about toilet training our first kitty. I think she would've taken to it too. For a time, she was peeing in the shower (we went to the vet when we didn't see any litterbox pee, later discovered she was going in the shower). Also, she is outdoor trained as we had a pot of dirt and she thought it was a perfect litterbox for herself. She is crazy. She also likes watching us take our showers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #13  

Quote:
I thought she was settling in to lay on my back, so I did nothing. Then I felt the stream of wetness.

My cat Sanura suddenly started peeing on my bed--everyday! I go soooo tired of changing sheets, so I put a huge sheet of plastic on it, so she held it in and peed on me that night!! Well, it just so happened that the next day at the store, her old litter was on sale, so I bought that instead of the litter she'd been using for the past few weeks--and INSTANTLY she stopped peeing on my bed!! She didn't like the new litter!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

That's what's so scary about cats, they so often seem to reason and plan in advance in such un-critterlike way. My husband and I joke when any cat we've had when they are acting "human-like" that they're going to get in trouble with "high-command" for letting us see signs of their superior intelligence.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

well that would be one cat locked out of the bedroom, possibly locked in the bathroom with litterbox, food and water.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote