Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/175/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Is it OK to skip meals?

So, I'm trying to lose weight (aren't we all?) and being at college sometimes you don't really have time to eat anything. Can skipping meals harm my weight loss efforts? Yesterday I didn't eat breakfast (my first time ever, actually) and I totally failed the rest of the day, because I got so hungry. So I know skipping breakfast is a bad idea, but do you think it would it be OK to skip a meal in the middle of the day?
RagazzaChristiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #2  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Skipping meals is really bad for you! It slows down your Metabolism and it cause you to over eat, and binge. Make it a priority at night to pack something for the next day.
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It definitely wouldn't be ideal.

If you're in college, are you eating in a dorm/cafeteria type setting? In that case, it'd be even LESS ideal.

Lets say you eat your healthy breakfast (good for you) but can't make it for lunch. You get in some exercise, maybe have a small snack...before you know it, you're heading over to the dining area for dinner.

At dinner, you (if you're like most people eating in a cafeteria situation) are faced with a buffet. And if you're starving, it is VERY likely you'll eat more than you need.

Even if you aren't eating in that kind of setting, coming home THAT hungry might lead you to snack as you prepare dinner, or worse, decide to give up on prepping dinner since you're so hungry and hit some sort of restaurant instead. Both bad.

Instead, plan ahead the night before so you can eat well all day. Your lunch doesn't have to be a typical "lunch"...heck, you can even have three mini-meals throughout the day instead...but failing to fuel your body all day is only going to result in feeling crappy and possibly overeating later.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #4  
wannabethinner

A lot of people say that you shouldn't skip meals--- and I think that it may stall weight loss for a lot of people. As for me, however--- I eat when I am hungry--- and if I am not hungry when I wake up--- I don't eat... simple as that. This was a big change for me, because I did so much eating when I wasn't hungry to gain all of my weight. So, for me to eat when I am not hungry isn't good for me... takes me back to the days of eating too much. But, I always keep snacks around because I don't like to be hungry--- it is very uncomfortable.

I do monitor everything though and this may not be forever--- if I notice a stall or that I am not losing, I will change things up.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

For me, skipping meals is how I ended up weighing 215 lbs. It was disastrous. I really didn't equate skipping meals and weight gain for far too long.

Now, I keep protein bars, string cheese, Wasa crackers, Laughing Cow cheese, nuts, and other assorted foods in my purse, my car, my office. I make sure I eat regularly (ever 2-3 hours). It has been a big change, but I do think it has helped my blood sugar and my metabolism in positive ways!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/204/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
For me, skipping meals is how I ended up weighing 215 lbs. It was disastrous.
That was one of my biggest problems for the longest time as well. My mom is living proof that eating several small meals a day is better for you than skipping meals. She's been doing Weight Watchers and tells me she pretty much eats like a baby does... every two hours. Usually between the big meals she will eat a piece of fruit or some veggies. A lot of people would think that's silly but she's lost 94 pounds and is twenty pounds away from being MY size now. My whole life she has been almost 200 pounds heavier than me. I'm making her be my "trainer"!
TehPatty is offline   Reply With Quote