Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Default I HATE my scale!!!!

Ok, I know the scale is not necessarily an accurate measure of the fat we are losing and gaining and I KNOW that there is something wrong with my scale...for a fact. I hold weights and it's the same, I wear shoes and it's the same. Morning , noon and night it's the same, before and after a meal it's the same. AND I am writing down every last morsel of food I freakin eat AND! I called the scale company who said after 200 lbs the scale cannot accurately measure within 10 lbs, so it won't show a 1 to 2 lbs weight loss. AND I am losing inches. So I know it's not me, I KNOW I am clearly losing and I have professional confirmation there is something wrong with the scale, but I STILL feel so frustrated that I am not seeing the numbers go down. Is that ridiculous? Why am I getting so caught up on what the numbers say on the scale? I do not have the money to go out and buy a scale that can measure more accurately and the staff at my doctors office don't let me weigh myself weekly there without booking an appointment anymore (yes, I am going to book a Dr.'s app. to weigh myself, as if!) If another person was writing this I would say, "don't worry about what the scale says, clearly you know that it's not you" or I might say something like "look at the inches going down, clearly there is something with the scale" and "if you are measuring everything and having a good calorie deficit and you FEEL healthy and good about yourself, then clearly that is what counts!" I could also probably pull out some psychological textbook to explain why I care about the scale, but I can't take my own freakin advice! It still frustrates me like CRAZY....I HATE the scale!

Last edited by Sgirl; 04-23-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/210/207

Height: 5'10"

Since you already know everything I was going to say, I'll just give you a big hug instead! Don't let it discourage you!
Nancy CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #3  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I know scales are not a necessary expense, but if its bothering you that much maybe you can suck it up and get a new one? A scale should be able to at least keep your weight accurate to within a pound or two, ten seems excessive. Overstock.com has some scales right now that seem to have good reviews for as low as 30 bucks, I think I got my scale at walmart for under 20 bucks and it seems to do a decent job, it does move up and down based on what I'm wearing anyway, I'm sure if I was carrying weights it'd register that! You might even check ebay or craigslist for a used scale to save some cash. As annoying as scales can be with all their variance, it is an easy way to keep track of your progress. I take all my readings with a grain of salt, but I do like to keep tabs on it just the same If all else fails do you have a friend with a scale you can visit time to time to check yourself?
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Yes! I hate mine too...unless it shows my numbers going down, then I love it! My scale seems to get "stuck" and I'll weigh the same in the morning as I do at night, which is just ridiculous, because I know I should weigh more at night. I've found that when it's stuck, if I put my cat on the scale it gets "unstuck". Weird! (He weighs 14.5 lbs btw.)

I know how you feel too. I know all the stuff about how the numbers don't mean anything and that I shouldn't weigh every day, yadda yadda yadda...but that doesn't change the fact that I'm gonna be frustrated and down right angry when the numbers aren't going where I want them to!

I would suggest going to the gym for a scale, but I'm guessing you probably would have thought of that already. Maybe a friend has a better scale and wouldn't mind you using theirs? Or perhaps a medical clinic of some sort?
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  
Feelin good in my skin

Sgirl - I feel your pain... with everything in life we need affirmation... The scale with affirm your HARD WORK! Hopefully you can find an alternative scale - when you do... Kick that other one...hard!
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #6  
Hot Mama

S/C/G: 201/192/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

what kind of scale is yours?
lissa9501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #7  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Yep--- I agree with the others... I am a penny pinching, miserly WEIRDO... and even I would splurge and get a new scale!!!!

My weight loss depends on that scale showing me what I want to see... my pride and success determines if I'm happy with that number... and if that number is being ******ed... well... time to switch to a new scale that can weigh higher weights.

And I use a digital scale, so there's no fudging the numbers... I have a hard time seeing the difference between a pound or two on the analog scales... now there's blaring red numbers, to the decimal points... and there's no denying it. And, thus far, that's been a good thing for me!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the hugs and suggestions. I really can't buy ANOTHER scale right now. I actually just bought a "Sunbeam" one because I busted my old one (which was embarrassing enough) and the salesperson said it measures accurately. Sure enough, it doesn't. We are REALLY hard up right now and I just cannot justify purchasing another scale when we are scrimping together money for groceries right now (got laid off from work, and husband is finishing up school). I am proud of myself for not resorting to eating badly through a rough time though. I guess I just needed to vent about my frustration with the scale.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #9  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Any way to return the new one that isn't working? I bought the Biggest Loser scale and it was not good. I was able to return it and I ended up buying a really good one for less at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

So sorry about your scale Sgirl. :hugs: I know that I love to see even .1 changes in mine, and it would be really frustrating not to be able to see a difference until 10lbs. Maybe it would help to try weighing yourself less often say twice a month? Anyway, don't let it discourage you, because you can do this!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #11  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Sgirl--- do you live in or near a major city? In Buffalo (and in a TON of other cities) we have a group called FreeCycle

Basically, it's an email list you sign up to receive notices of things that people are giving away for free. Their theory is that it is better to give it to someone else rather than put it in a landfill!

I've received a kitchen food scale and a humidifier from there already. Especially if you work at a job where you have constant access to email, this is GREAT. Plus, you can put a WANTED: ad up for a digital scale. You may or may not get it... but it's worth a try! Especially if you're hard up right now--- for ANYTHING you might need, it's worth it to keep an eye on the postings.

I know all about scrimping and saving (hence why I found out about FreeCycle). Also, check your local Craigslist ads to see if people have older ones that work for cheap.

But, first, I would try returning it and getting a different one. Where did you buy it from? I'd just say "I don't have the receipt. It doesn't work right anymore and I want to exchange it for a different kind." Or make your husband do it so you're not embarrased.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #12  

I hear you on the scale thing girlie!! In fact- I have recently thrown mine out completely- because I was getting so sick of it!! My clothes and the tape measure are now my best friends and the way I feel

Bertie
fitnfunbabe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #13  

Thank you all SOOO much!! I never even thought of returning the stupid thing!!! And BrandNewJen, I will look up one of those FreeCycle dealies for Toronto! Thank you all so much! This has been so affirming, I feel WAY better and have more hope than I did this morning, thank to you all! You ladies all deserve a BIG hug.