Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #1  

Default Medical Tourism

I've done the big weight loss thing a few times and this time I'm having a very hard time just getting "the mentality", getting started because all I can think of is that its not worth it because I'm going to wind up just a big mass of loose skin (which doesn't seem any worse or better than a big mass of fat). So I'm thinking of medical tourism as a "once I do this, then I'm off to India/Columbia/whereever and I will look like a normal human being" to head off that particular defeat attitude.

Anybody try medical tourism? I've found a few sites, some articles, but no folks with experience.

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Sounds interesting, I have NEVER heard of it.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have two friends who have gotten tummy tucks abroad, both men who'd lost a considerable amount of weight. Neither of them were there for medical tourism reasons (one has relocated permanently to Taiwan, the other was living abroad for a year and a half in Buenos Aires).

The one in Buenos Aires had a fabulous experience with his full tummy tuck - I've seen it, it looks great, he said the hospital and care were both phenomenal, and he was very happy with the costs and his decision. He carefully chose his doctor, went in very informed, and was happy with the results.

The other had a less-good experience, but no medical complications (he just isn't happy with the way it looks). That being said, he probably wouldn't have been happy anyway, as he had some body image issues that were separate from the actual skin issues. He also didn't spend as much time doctor shopping, and ended up with a doctor who didn't listen to him (he wanted a full tummy tuck with belly button reconstruction, he ended up getting a partial tuck because the doctor didn't think he needed the other).

In both cases, the friends were absolutely 100% fluent in the languages of the countries they were in, which may have made a difference.

Lots of people use medical tourism for dental services, too, especially in towns that are close to the Mexico border. It IS a lot cheaper, and the care -can- be as good. It's just less regulated, so you'll have to do more research to find a doctor/hospital you know you want to work with.

You also may want to make sure that your medical insurance will cover complications back home if you have a surgery abroad...nothing like coming back, having a complication, and finding out that your insurance won't cover it since it is a complication of a medical procedure performed in another country.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #4  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I've had my teeth worked on in Peru, but I did not go there to actually get my work done, I was living there. I know that even with insurance, my dental work would be much cheaper there and so far I have been very happy with the quality.

However, I am fluent in Spanish, I have no problem asking for credentials and checking them out, and I had time to go and find a good doctor.

An American friend had lasik over there as well (it cost about $500 per eye over there), but I found the doctor for him and he is fluent in Spanish.
If you are thinking about this, I highly recommend a surgeon that is in at least one of the international organizations. Don't trust the website or whatever is on the wall. Check it out yourself. At least for S. America that is the way it has to be, since everything can be/is pirated over there.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote