Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #1  

Default Wellbutrin withdrawal?

Hi everyone,

I've been on this site since I was 17...and now I'm 22. I haven't posted in a while, what with school and trying to get my life back together.

Anyway, I was on Wellbutrin since Feb 2006 for my depression (which did wonders for me) and in Feb of this year, I stopped taking it. I was on the lowest dose of XL (150mg) and I didn't notice any adverse side effects. I was enjoying my "Spring break" from school, and I decided that it was time to stop with the meds. Stupid decision.

My question is..has anyone noticed any withdrawal effects? I appear to be experiencing weight gain and my mood is noticeably...low. It could be the recent stress at home...but I'm definitely not feeling well. I can't start taking them again now because my final exams are this week and the next and I remember feeling spaced out when on these meds.

Any advice would be great !
MissyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #2  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I went off my wellbutrin about 3 weeks ago and have gained 6 lbs. I have noticed before that I tend to lose a few pounds when I go on it and then gain a few when I go off it. I'm also tired. I can't remember if that goes away or not.
Did you talk to your doc about going off it? Can you call and talk about the withdrawl? I'm trying to decide whether to go back on it.
Let us know how you are.
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #3  

Thank you for replying!

About the weight gain... I thought it was my imagination. But I guess not anymore.

My doctor said that I shouldn't stop because I've been depressed for a long time, and that taking Wellbutrin for an even LONGER time would help prevent relapse. One reason I stopped taking it was because I thought I was losing hair. I'll be seeing my doctor about it next week, after my exams, because I don't want to risk any concentration deficits if I start back on WB this week.

I'll keep you posted ^^ Have a nice day~
Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #4  

I felt like I have much thinner hair too from taking welbutrin. I also have just taken myself off it and that is a horrible idea. I went through panic attacks and crying attacks, yea...I wouldnt recommend taking yourself off of it, only your doctor.
terryocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/270/160

Height: 5'8"

I wouldn't recommend stopping any anti-depressant cold-turkey. I've done it - withdrawals are unpleasant.
KristyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/198/140

Height: 5'7"

Has anyone had those... "shoking" electrical pulses go through their brain when they reduce of eliminate their Wellbutrin??
amazingplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #7  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

Does your hair thicken or at least stop thinning when you go off the wellbutrin?
I want to go off it too but am afraid of the side effects, but I really don't want to take them for the rest of my life...
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #8  

Hi everyone!

So yesterday I cried...3 times. Like dripping-teardrops-into-my-lap-type crying. The day before, I cried. And the day before, I cried. I can't really explain what made me do so...could be the stress from school and my own family problems, but i just suddenly felt so empty. Could this be the relapse my doctor was talking about...?

Train - I noticed my hair was healthier after I stopped the Wellbutrin (WB). It was definitely dried up and looking like HAY when I was on WB. I wouldn't say there's a difference in the amount of hair I have, but really it's only been 2 months since I've stopped.

Kristy and Terryocean - I didn't want to stop cold turkey, but I was in the process of "weaning off", meaning I was taking the lowest dose (150mg of XL). I just should have given myself more time to "wean off"...I suppose.

Ottoette - I'll be seeing the doctor next week (after my final exams) and I'll give an update. I want to get started on them because....I really can't take the weight gain! If I have to, I'll take them for the rest of my life.

Amazingplatinum - No, I didn't get the brain shocks during my WB withdrawal. But I did take Effexor before my WB a few years ago, and it took me a MONTH to wean off!!! I had to stop taking the effexor because I gained 30 pounds in 3 months. I had brain shocks,CONSTANT vertigo, nausea...for a MONTH! Oh~ that was a horrible time *cringes at memory*.

Last edited by MissyK; 04-25-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #9  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Hey

I did the same thing you did. Went off the pills when I felt my life was on a high note and felt like the stress of the world crashed down on me shortly after... but it had to be just a silly coincidence right? LoL. No. When life really sucks, I feel like Wellbutrin helped me cope and work through it quickly... after a few years you start to forget that the pill every morning is a good assistant and I know I thought I could do it by myself. Sure enough... without the WB, normal stresses of life went back to being monumental.

Going off of meds is something that I know firmly believe has to be a thoroughly discussed and thought out process, not something decided on a whim. Make sure you have you support system ready and your loved ones are willing to hold you accountable. Stuff like that.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #10  

blondebombshell - thanks for the advice. i actually started thinking I could handle life stressors on my own too...but it turns out that wellbutrin really DOES give me the strength in order to do so. I read your other post in the wellbutrin advice thread, and feel more positive about going back on.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #11  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

I'm concerned now. I'm bipolar and take an assortment of meds. My pdoc and I have been getting off some of them. Starting yesterday, I started decreasing my Wellbutrin which I've been on a long time. My pdoc is cool. He says if there are any problems just get start it again.

I've been on this particular cocktail for a long time. The pdoc wants to see what is actually working and what's not. I'm stable right now. So far I'm off 2 meds completely--Geodon & Lamictal--without any problems.

But I've been successfully losing weight. I hope that reducing and discontinuing Wellbutrin will not make things more difficult for me (not to mention cause a depressive mood swing). Well...fingers crossed.

Enough of my issues, MissyK--sounds like getting back on Wellbutrin might be a good idea. Good luck.

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #12  

Oreokitty - let's hope for the best! I'm always paranoid about trying meds.

UPDATE: I went to the doctor last week and started taking my Wellbutrin again. I don't feel quite as upset. Not particularly happy, had a little anxiety over the weekend, but it's still an improvement. I managed to workout, and I haven't had the urge to binge since last week. Looks like Wellbutrin is right for me...
Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #13  

yes!! If I get startled I get a fairly painful electric shock in my head, Not comfy!

I recently stopped taking my Wellbutrin and have gained 11 lbs in just 3 weeks despite running every other day (which I just started 3 weeks ago) and I've been eating healthier than I was prior to coming off my Wellbutrin. This is overwhelming and I'm scared this weight gain won't stop and that these 11 lbs won't come off.

Does anyone have experience with this??

Last edited by BunnyHeart; 09-26-2017 at 07:21 PM.
BunnyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote