Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Ever felt like crying over food you can't eat?

I go to school on Sat, it's an hour drive each way. Classes are from 9 to 4 pm. I'm the type of person who doesn't enjoy driving, so by the time I get home, I'm tired, stressed (traffic is really crazy around there), cranky not to mention hungry.

When I got home there were 4 boxes of pizza on the table, that's the 1st thing I see when I walk in. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Both times I managed to cook something else for me, even when I was really hungry and making food took me another hour or so. Both times I ate my food and left the pizza alone. I love pizza, especially from that particular place. But I managed to eat my food instead of lunging for the pizza box.

Last time it didn't bother me that much, but today I wanted to cry. Maybe not so much over the pizza, but the fact that here I am struggling and life throws me a curve ball like that. I know it may sound silly, but it really upset me. There are 5 adults in this house and only 1 (me) is really making an effort to eat better. I'm not saying they're not allowed to eat what they want, but sheesh put it away or something so I don't see it!

Maybe I'm making it a much bigger deal than what it really is. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Oh, yeah. Last night, I just gave in, so you're a step ahead of me!

I think the key for me is to be ok with that -- yes, bad choice; yes, off plan; yes, over my calories for the day. But that was yesterday -- today, I will do better. I guess what I'm saying is that there will ALWAYS be people eating things that you love around you -- always. So I think it's better to make the best choices that you can and to accept yourself when a choice you make isn't a good one. I'm not saying to just give up and eat four pizzas I'm saying that if it's just beyond you to not eat pizza, then accept that and try to make the best decision you can (so take a slice and go into a different room -- away from the boxes -- and just enjoy it -- savor the moment, as it were ). And then move on -- and on plan.

With me personally, I find that if I don't do that, I'll end up resenting myself and saying, "Fine, whatever, I'm going to eat a whole pizza just to piss you [me] off -- how do you like them apples?!?" to myself...yeah, I'm like that

But also, good job on resisting!!! You stuck to your guns, even when pushed to the limit -- rock on!
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I read something in a magazine (or maybe it was 3FC?) that said, "Don't dwell on what you can't eat, celebrate what you CAN."

Maybe keeping some kind of frozen, lean cousine type pizza in your freezer would help when you're feeling really tired and irritable and have temptations like that?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have to admit that I seldom get that emotional over not being able to eat things that others can or do eat. As geeky as this sounds, I feel quite virtuous when others are having high calorie junk food and I'm having something filling and healthy. Honestly!

I like the idea of having a lean cuisine pizza, or thin crust frozen pizza in the freezer or a pita bread pizza recipe for those times when you feel deprived. I've found several thin crust frozen pizzas that are fairly low calorie. I can eat a couple of pieces with a big huge salad and get full when my family thinks they have to have pizza.

Stay strong!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I have to admit that I seldom get that emotional over not being able to eat things that others can or do eat.

I like the idea of having a lean cuisine pizza, or thin crust frozen pizza in the freezer or a pita bread pizza recipe for those times when you feel deprived.
I agree with both of these - but I will offer my sympathy anyway because I know how hard temptation can be and sometimes you just are so tired that your emotions run away with you!

Good for you for not giving in. Take pride in that.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #6  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

You did well. Can you prep some food before you head off to class next Saturday so you've got a snack on hand either for the drive home or as soon as you walk in the door? If you could get everything set up and ready to start cooking your meal before you leave, you could cut your hour down to a much shorter time. Or you could plan to have something on hand that's really really simple so it doesn't take long. It's hard to make good choices when you've gotten really really hungry. Give yourself a pat on the back for passing up on the pizza!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5 feet verticaly challenged & loving it!

Driving on i95? That highway is a beast and can make anyone wanna eat a whole pizza! lol

Anyway... For me I'm a bit diffrent in thinking. I refuse to live without things I want to eat forever. I know myself and I know I can't stick with it. BUT, I know I can handle and control the amount i eat. If it were me, I would have ate 1 peice just to kill the urge, then added low calorie sides or loads of veggies to fill me up and still keep me at my meal calorie count max.

You should be SO proud of yourself for walking away! You go girl! Like above, I would prepare something for the ride home. Something very healthy you can eat in the car, so when you do get home, you are full. Leave a small cooler in your car so it stays fresh. Veggies, yogurt, anything that's handy to eat while driving. If you're full by the time you get home it will be much, much easier to pass the yucky food by.

Once again, you should be proud of yourself!!!!
DebbieLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #8  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I cry when I can't eat it, and, those times I give in and eat it, I cry then too! I'm a complete mess and NOT at all good at this "dieting" thing. My husband is not dieting and just doesn't understand. Food is all around me, and if I don't give in and eat, or go out to eat when he wants to, he gets upset. He thinks he is being nice giving me food, and will not listen to me. It's been 11 years. He will never change.

Good for you for not giving in to that pizza. Can you bottle up some of that determination and give some to me?

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #9  

Me too!! I have actually cried over food I can't eat -- but I've also come to realize, what I was craving, if I give in, has rarely tasted as awesome as I felt it would

I'm doing Weight Watchers, so I can have anything I want, within reason -- and I've started actually losing my cravings for a lot of it, because I don't want to waste my points on something that I can't have a whole bunch of!! (Cookies -- I can have like two, a bag of microwave popcorn, all of it, etc.)

Stay strong and hide the take out menus!! You can do this and I like the frozen pizza idea too.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Ask yourself which will feel worse - wanting the pizza or the feeling after you eat it of failure, guilt and remorse?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree it is frustrating. I'm not sure what sort of plan you're following, but is there really food you can't eat? You can't have just 1 slice of pizza once in a while? I know the answer is no for some, as this may be a trigger food, but I do feel that if you're really SO miserable about your way of eating, maybe you need to reevaluate.

I think the best suggestion is to have things easy to prepare on hand. If it takes you an hour to prepare your dinner and you're already hungry when you get home, then of COURSE that pizza is going to be insanely tempting!But if you had some quick, easy, delicious meals that could be ready in 10 minutes or less, I'm sure it would be much easier to face. You could have, as others have mentioned, some healthier and/or portion-controlled pizza in the freezer, or you could make meals ahead of time and portion out into plastic containers and store in the fridge or freezer so all you have to do when you get home is zap it in the mirowave.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/169/120

Height: 5'3

Default Crying over food

This happens to me all the time. It happens more and more... the more I deny myself the foods. So I found a solution that helps. This particular scenerio happens to you once a week right? Well, Friday night make a salad and keep it in the fridge. When you get home on Saturday go ahead and have a slice of pizza and that salad. The more you make yourself feel bad about food the harder it is to resist. Don't torture yourself. One slice and a large salad. Also, lettuce helps you digest. Wash it down with water or tea. If you feel too guilty having that slice, cut it in half. Half a slice gives you the taste but won't put you over the edge.

Moderation is the key to keeping your sanity.
that1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #13  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Red face Crying over food...

I was just at my local grocery store tonight picking up some diet soda to feed my addiction of soda/carbonated beverages, I picked up some of the "waist watchers" "soda" which taste like seltzer water-*gags a little bit* but almost cried when my wonderful boyfriend walked down the vegetable isle which turns into the ice cream isle and saw all the yummy ice cream and marshmallow topping!!! I had to turn and walk away as fast as I could! Could you imagine the sight of my tubby a*s standing in front of the ice cream crying?!?! Oh the laughs all the skinny girls would get! (unless she's a recovering overweighter) either way- had to share my story and my horror of imagining myself crying infront of the ice cream! *sigh*
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Most of the time, I'm perfectly satisfied with what I eat... but some days, I know exactly how you feel, and have come very close to tears when trying to make the healthy choice in a tempting situation.

It usually happens to me on Fridays after work. It's a weekly routine for everyone to go out for a drink, and by "a drink" I mean 3-4 drinks and several different appetizers at the restaurant next door. Some days I'm just so hungry when I go there that I get extremely stressed and emotional and just want to cry. I just find it so hard when I'm hungry, and everyone around me is eating chicken wings and deep fried cheese stuffed jalepenos, that it's overwhelming. I'm one of those people that can't do things in moderation, and if I have some, the rest of the night is usually a write off.

So yeah, you're not alone.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

I don't know if this is a possibility for you. I'm not sure what eating program you are on that doesn't let you have pizza so if this advice is nonsense for you that's okay:-). It comes from someone who LOVES LOVES LOVES pizza. It sounds like this particular day is the problem for you with school, stress, driving etc... why not give yourself permission to have 2 or 3 slices when you come home. Plan for it maybe have a piece of fruit or something on the way home so your blood sugar isn't extremely low and make sure you have a nutritious lunch. Let's face it, we are going to have this challenge for the rest of our lives. We plan, then life comes at us with takeout:-). Learn to incorporate it into your lifestyle. It sounds like the folks in your house are just doing there own thing eating what they want to, join them that night and do your own thing the rest of the week.

Like I said, I don't know what plan you are on. I'm a calorie counter who has nothing on my forbidden list. If I forbid myself it, I will crave it like a banchee. This post caught my eye only because I actually plan pizza in my diet. It's one of my favorites ( the take out kind too). I make it sometimes but it's not the same:-). Hope this helped some...
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote