PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Smile This year WILL be / already IS different!!!

I just wanted to post this...as my experience of finding out I was IR.

I am sooooo happy it's 75 degrees outside here in Indianapolis!!!!! I took a 30 minute walk around the building here during my lunch time and OH was it beautiful outside!!! I just know that this summer, walking outside WILL make a difference!!!

Last summer...last summer I did this DAILY for two-three months - walking for 30 minutes every day at work, that is...PLUS I ate healthy AND I went to the gym 3 - 4 times a week (just like i'm doing now - hey it IS my lifestyle! lol). BUT...last summer was BEFORE i found out I was Insulin Resistant. Do you know how ANGRY and FRUSTRATED I got last year when - for 6 months straight my weight stayed at EXACTLY 197.5 - even though I was walking 5 times a week at work - working out at the gym AND eating right??? Literally - I was doing EVERYTHING 'right' and my weight would NOT budge. It was exactly 197.5 for 6 months straight!!

But then - in October - that was when I found out I was IR. The doc put me on Met and while it HAS been "slow" I'm FINALLY back down 17 pounds to 180. Now, I DO have 18 more pounds to go to get to where I was 4 years ago when I really changed my lifestlye and lost 60 pounds...and I know it'll happen, I just have to keep plugging away at the gym and eating right.

AND - even though it's been 6 months that I've been on Met and I've *only* lost 17 pounds...I am so incredibly happy that I HAVE lost 17 pounds! Plus, I've finally convinced myself - after doing all the research and reading the IR diet, etc...that unfortunately - the way I have to live my life is "low-carb"...cuz we (people with IR) have the types of bodies that low-carb diets were made for.

There was a day last summer when I just broke down and started crying. (I know now, too - this had a lot to do with the type of birth control pill I was on - and that has been switched too!)...but last year - NONE of my shorts fit, which all DID fit just the year before...I went shopping with my INCREDIBLE boyfriend who helped me try and find clothes that fit - and, of course, NOTHING fit...(well, nothing I WANTED to wear anyways...). But I just started balling in his arms and of course he just didn't understand why I wasn't losing the weight - and of course, neither did I. It just made absolutely NO sense to me WHATSOEVER as to why I wasn't losing ANY weight when I was doing everything I'd been doing before - when i was able to lose 60 pounds before and instead, now - I was GAINING weight.

But then I went to the doc and she did some tests and figured it out. She told me alll about IR and what WAS "wrong" with me.

And, while it sucks that I DO have this condition - I am SO happy that I know that I wasn't going crazy! lol.

But yeah - now that I know, I am living my life the way I NEED to in order to stay healthy and keep my weight down.

Anyways. I just wanted to post that. What about you guys? Your story when you found out you had IR?

Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #2  

YES! I just found out i was IR on Tuesday and it felt like such a relief! I had been eating right, exercising, doing everything "by the books" and my weight hadn't budged in nearly 2 years! Now I'm on Metformin and so far the hardest part has been sugar cravings. I can't eat anything with artificial sweeteners, so cutting out sugar and carbs has been a big challenge this week... hopefully it gets easier but my god I just want 1 oreo...
Dina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Dina - the sugar/carb cravings WILL eventually go away. That's another thing that I have noticed is a DRASTIC change. I actually went back and re-read a thread I'd started about 2 years ago on 3fatchicks...it was talking about how i felt as if i was seriously "addicted" to chocolate/sugar. And - I can honestly tell you - ever since I've been on Met - I DON'T crave sugar like at ALL. (ok, maybe during TOM - but it's probably more mental. lol) I do occasionally "indulge" and "allow" myself to eat items that I really shouldn't - however, I carefully choose what that item is and I thouroughly enjoy it.

You WILL get to that point. And - as a lot of threads on here will tell you - you should look into the book, "The Insulin Resistance Diet" - and also "The Feel Good Diet" - both are written by the same author.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote