Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/160

Height: 5"9

Default New to this, would appreciate some advice :)

Hi guys, im a 20 year old university student and have been overweight for as long as i can remember.
I'm 5 ft 9 and weigh roughly 220 pounds. I've sort of grown with the weight and been so used to it, i haven't noticed that it has crept up about an extra 30 pounds over the last 3 years without noticing (university probably hasnt helped).
I have been reading through this part of the forum because way way back, in the back of my mind i've always known I was an over-eater. In the past couple of years this has become more and more of a problem and i've now come to the realisation that I am actually unhealthily overweight. I binge eat, secret eat and conceal the food, I basically answered 'Yes' to almost all of the questions in the thread stickied above, its not good.
I dont speak to anyone about my weight, and have never used it as the reason for my downfalls even though my weight has affected so many areas of my life.
My parents are obviously aware im overweight, but seem to be more concerned about my sister, as shes slightly more overweight and has always (unfortunately for her) taken the brunt of upset from them, and as I am older now, and have, in the past, refused any form of critism and help, I dont get any comments about me and my looks.. which in all honesty has made me totally unaware of my situation for the past few years, and I am completely aware that that was my own stubburn fault.

Anyway, background behind (hopefully!) I really, really want to change. For good. I want to stop this obsession with food I have, before it gets out of control, atm I can't stop thinking about food, and when im not eating it i'm planning what im having next, or when im alone so i can go shopping and buy stuff I want to eat (ends up in binging). Its so frustrating, i've placed this high emphasis on food that I can't get rid of. Instead, this should be exercise. I have danced all my life (stopped at 17) and play sport weekly but my weight is letting me down and my fitness is no-where near up-to-standard. Which is something I really really want to start to enjoy.

I have the motivation there, its just applying it and then kicking the food habits out. What im looking for is any advice, anyone in the same situation and what to do next really? I know its a big ask but I really do appreciate it if you've even read this far!

Thanks again for reading
JuicyFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I don't have any great advice, but I wanted to say "Hi!" and the fantastic people in this area should be able to point you in the right direction to take the next step.

Hang in there!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #3  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I'm joining in with the HI! I don't have any wonderful advice although joining here is a step in the right direction. This board can really help you if you are determined to do something about your weight. And the great thing is we have all been where you are (or are sharing it with you), the addiction to food, the waking up in the morning and the first thing you think about is what yummy food can I eat today or looking forward to the weekend because you know you are going out to eat and that you'll get to indulge. I'm sure most of us can related to secret eating (buying a packet of chocolate biscuits and thinking I'll just eat one, then eating about 10 and figuring it is better to eat the rest so I can throw out the packet instead of letting my husband see how many cookies I have eaten...).

Do you have anyone in your life you can talk to and get support from? Have you thought about a goal weight? Or how you want to lose weight (dieting, exercise etc).
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/200/160

Height: 5'8''

hi - I can relate to what you are saying. I am about the same height as you and was up to 230 - recently I have dropped 30 lbs and it feels so much better - I have seemed to hit a plateau and need to get back on track..
A few things I found that seemed to work for me was to limit sweets. If I was having something sweet - like a piece of pie I would have a very very small piece (sliver size) and usually no ice cream -my husband laughed at me to start with but quickly bought into this and supported me.
Lately I have had some of the "binge" times as I find that the winter has been long and i am somewhat bored or having long lonely evening ( my husband works nights) -- So now that spring has finally sprung I need to find some motivation to get out and move... the bike is back out to ride to work and the garden is coming along slowly.... but I still need a kick in the butt to get moving.

Juicy fruit-you state that you are a student- are you done now for the year or do your classes go through the summer? What are you studying?

To all have a great day and all the best on your food choices during the week.
northernsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hi Juicyfruit! Most of us in this forum can totally relate to your history because it is so similar to OUR history. So welcome to the group!

I think it is great that you dance and are involved with sport. In my experience so far, it really helps to have a hobby (particularly a physical hobby) to focus on to take the place of food. It is still hard and can be a day by day or a minute by minute struggle so you have to mentally prepare for that. But you can do it!

Changing long-held habits is HARD. But you can do it, and if you get back into dance and focus more on your sports, all the better!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote