Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I wish my clothes would shrink along with me

I work in a law office and have to look professional. I bought some very nice slacks a few months ago and now find that they are getting too loose. This is both good and bad...since I don't want to have to invest in new clothes; just paid a large tax bill. And I really do like these slacks!
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I feel the same way!! I just shrunk out of a pair that I barely got a couple months out of, and they were $$!! I'm thinking of using a tailor, not sure if it's even worth it, though. But, when I really think about it, since I'm a shorty with a booty, I usually have to get everything tailored anyway...
good luck with the shopping, though. maybe discount stores? outlets?
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Lol! My aunt and I said we were oging to get together and start a new clothes store for people trying to lose weight... They could buy clothes, and if they lost weight, they could come back and swap them for the next size down for no charge, but if they gained and had to go up a size - then they would have to pay $$! When I started my new job back in December, I bought all new clothes... now they don't fit, and I have to go buy more!
I feel your pain! But I love fitting into a smaller size! (it is getting a wee bit easier to find clothes!)

What about consignment shops? They can be a great place to find suits, etc. (I bought a few suit jackets at one for pretty cheap)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/See Ticker/130

I agree. I cleaned out my closet this weekend. Which was so fun to just pack away all of those big clothes, but I have nothing to wear, and I can't afford to go buy new clothes. I have 3 pairs of pants/jeans and some shirts. But the shirts are mostly long sleeved and it's getting warmer out now. The short sleeved ones are too big. I have worked hard to get a slimmer figure and I don't really want to hide it under big bulky clothes, kwim? I think I may just go to walmart and get some tshirts that fit. It's quite a good problem to have though isn't it?
marie8674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

That's why I don't pay full price for any clothes right now. I am changing sizes so fast the closer I get to goal. I shop at consignment stores and GoodWill. You can get great deals on new or used clothing at these places and not pay much.
The GoodWill near us get donations from clothing stores of old lines. So there will be tons of new clothes with the tags still on them.
I bought 2 pairs of jeans, 2 tops and a belt for only $21 in March. Thank goodness I only paid that because the pants are already starting to get saggy.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I think it would be worth paying to have nice slacks tailored to fit you. Check with your dry cleaners. My mom has been doing alterrations for yrs for the cleaner. THey actually give her name to people and she keeps very busy. In fact to busy to help me take up some of my stuff that is too big.LOL
zwaggle.com is a site for swapping baby items...to bad there isnt one for dieters to swap clothing.LOL someone figure out how to swap and i would join in. I just cleaned out my closet and have lots of 24-26 that wont fit.I am lucky to have alot of 20-22 still on hand.
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I am in this situation as well. I had to buy some new slacks for work a couple of months ago, and now they're hanging off me! I have used tailors in the past, and I think I'm going to get these tailored soon too. I had a really nice work skirt tailored a few months ago -- they did a really great job, and it only cost about $15-20. It's really an amazing feeling when clothes fit you just right!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

You might be very surprised what you can find at good wills. You do know everything donated is tax deductible and now the tax man told me you have to have receipts you can't just say you donated. There are great clothes there. I have seen many that are just right for the office. Some still have tags on them. Why spend big bucks on clothes that are only going to fit for a short time.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #9  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi, a few years ago, I was losing weight and needed to dress well for work. I didn't have the budget to buy 'new' every couple of months... A friend recommended shopping the 'second hand' stores in very exclusive towns... I found a lot of very nice, some, 'designer' pieces, many were freshly dry cleaned and in the plastic bags.. At the time I think I paid 15/20 dollars for slacks... I got used to making black and beige work for a long time.. I then took the items to a consignment shop and made some money... Good luck shopping...

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 04-15-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #10  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

good will and now that the weather is breaking yard sales. thats what i'm doing for now.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 8"

I've got two really nice suits that I've only worn a couple of times for job interviews. I'm definitely getting them tailored only because I like them so much. All my other "fat" clothes (that aren't too worn out in the inner thigh) are going to DH's church charity closet.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Another vote for getting clothes from second-hand stores. I go in with a bag and come out with a bag. If you can't sew, make sure you go where you can try on clothes. I have actually had such great success finding clothes while losing weight that I will probably continue my bargain hunting even when I reach my goal weight Finding designer suits for $5 - sometimes still with tags on them - just makes my day

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-15-2008 at 07:40 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #13  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I had some luck finding inexpensive dress slacks at old navy, I think I paid 14 bucks for a pair there on clearance. So if you don't have any luck at thrift stores, perhaps check them out?
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote