PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default good food finds? low-carb finds???

Ok, I want to start a thread and hope to get tons of responses...anyone with any good food finds? mainly low-carb / insulin-resistance friendly finds?

The two I will start off with are:

#1 - Trader Joes - if you have one near you - there's three different kinds (all the same brand - and on the bottom shelf of the bread shelves...) there's wheat, rye & 7-grain - it's "sprouted" bread. 60 calories, 1 g fat and ONLY 7 grams carbs per slice!

#2 - Meijer - Old Orchard 75% sugar free apple juice - it's only got 6 g carbs per 8oz glass!

All I can think of right now...next?
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/141/135

Height: 5'2"

I noticed in walmart they have or had a low carb tortilla. They are pretty good. I think it's 6g Carbs per torilla. They are pretty big, I use them for sandwiches, tacos, and sloppy joes. I have yet to find the old orchard juice, I'm very interested to try it. I have a diet juice that is low in carbs, but it has a weird after taste o it. Can't remeber now which one it is though.
slvrlining8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Ezekial sprouted bread (just sprouts, no flour) slightly toasted with peanut butter or cream cheese spread on. The bread has 14 carbs and 80 calories.

Also, if you like Indian food, Tasty Bite has Jodhpur Lentils in a ready meal box. Yellow lentils are the main ingredient. One serving has 12g of carbs, and 7 of them are fiber. I'm not sure if the lentils are chana dal or not. I've read that yellow ones *are* chana dal, but I don't know for sure if that is true or not. Chana dal is the lowest glycemic grain that you can eat.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Yes Trader Joe's is amazing. I eat the Ezekiel bread 4:9 and also their low glycemic raisin bread! So sweet and yummy.

For my afternoon sweet snack I have a Larabar (no added sugar- just the natural sugar from dates) and I balance it by eating a plain yogurt cup. If I don't eat the yogurt with it I feel the shakey effects of my insulin going insane. But having the protein with it allows me to eat this yummy 'candy bar'. Their chocolate one is soo awesome.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #5  

I like to make my own edamame - its so easy and quite delish. Grab a bag of frozen soy beans in the pods. Boil in salted water for 5 minutes, and then nosh 'til your heart's content! You may never crave potato chips again. Soy protein is GREAT for woman of all ages and edamame is loaded with fiber.
Dina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #6  

sugar-free jello is also a must-have lifeline for mid-afternoon sugar cravings.
Dina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #7  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

I like Wasa Multi Grain Crackers.

For 1 cracker they are:
Calories: 45
Fat:0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 80
Total Carbs: 10
Fiber: 2
Sugar: 0
Protein: 2

They're pretty tasty to top with hummus, tuna salad, peanut butter, etc.
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/141/135

Height: 5'2"

I can't believe noone has said dreamfields pasta. It is great. I usually use it with regular sauce (I have head that there is a low carb sauce but instead I just add more herbs to regular and use less). If you have never tried it, you should really look into it.
Rebelrider- I would find it extremely difficult to eat just one cracker as they are nt low in carbs.
My main snack when I can get it is Carolina Co. pork rinds with red pepper. They have no carbs and give me something nice and crunchy to snack on. I tried the regular pork rinds most companys made and as soon as I put it into my mouth the bag was in the garbage.
slvrlining8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

"Porkies" nacho cheeserinds are awesome (I also hate most pork rinds), but the only place I've seen them is IGA and some Wisconsin gas stations.

I have portion control issues with most crackers, but not with wasa. I think it's the fiber, or maybe the dry hay-like texture.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I have to agree with you on the Wasa crackers- I have no portion control issues! (but any other multi-grain breads, crackers, or pasta I am still ravenous for) Wasa makes the best 'pizzas' with some tomato sauce and a little cheese and pop in the microwave.

I just had McCain's Irish Oatmeal from Trader Joe's. 1/2 cup dry oats is 150 cals and 26g carbs. I put some cinnamon and water in it and it tasted great without adding milk, cream, or sugar. I balanced those carbs with 2 egg whites. I'm actually going to try to make some oatmeal cookies out of it this week. There is a recipe on the back of the box and I'm going to tweak it to be low carb/low sugar.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #11  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Ahhh, yes, I love Steel Cut Oats! Haven't had it in a while, but when I did, I would just fix enough for the whole week and put it in little tupperware containers so breakfast would be a no-brainer.

Now, I'm hooked on these egg muffins from the South Beach Diet - I fix 12 of them on Sunday and nosh on them all week.

When my sweet tooth is really bad I soften some cream cheese and add a drop of vanilla and a couple of Splenda - instant almost-cheesecake.
SolShine is offline   Reply With Quote