General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #83

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:19 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Alice, judi, shebacat,

Hope you guys will be checking in soon.

I have been on diet vacation right along with you. I did some cooking over the weekend, resurrected some of the recipes that I used when I first started PMD. It has been a few days since I have had a good diet day and I am aiming to make today my first day back on the program. Exercise has been slipping too. But tonight I will get in bed early so I can get up early tomorrow and start up again.

Maybe I needed a little break, (maybe) but I don't need it anymore. I need to get myself back in line before I do major damage.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #3  

Default Juariez, Mexico

Hi Ledom! Shebacat and Alice!!

I am at an internet cafe in Mexico, we are staying in El paso for a few days and have come down here for a day.

I weighed this morning and I am up 5 pounds Really depressing and I thought I was doing ok too. I hope the RV scale is just weighing diff then the one at home

This morning I went to the El Paso museum of Art. Very interesting! A good photography exhibit of being a border town.

I took two rolls of film down here today. How is the work for the show going Ledom

I have seen 3 Boston terriers on the trip Alice.

Will email again when I get the chance.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:02 AM   #4  
Chick

Default Hi Judi,

Great to hear from you. It sounds like you are having fun - doing neat things.
Glad to hear you are taking pictures, isn't it fun? At least you are weighing yourself so that you can monitor how you are doing. It sounds as if you are keeping track even though it is harder when you are traveling.

Yesterday, with a very determined effort, I had a PMD day. I also cooked when I got home. My fridge is now stocked with healthy food so that I have no excuse to eat badly. I made orange and carrot salad, hummus, and taboulleh. I also have black beans and brown rice made from the weekend. I took out my Moosewood Lowfat Vegeterian cookbook and used it for the above recipes. It is my serious, I'm on a diet, cookbook because the recipes are tasty yet low-cal. As soon as I finish posting I will do my workout. Things are looking up, heh?

judi, my photographs are at the framers. My invitations should be back by the end of the week. For all practical purposes I am through. I can't wait to see how they looked framed. I have to write an artists statement and that sometimes gives me trouble, but I have some ideas. I'm in good shape on that front.

Well, I better kick off this return to working out and get ready for work. Ya'll take care.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:07 AM   #5  
Chick

Wink Girls

I'm just going to pretend you're there because I do better when you are!

It has been real touch and go with my new commitment. Two good days, one bad which was yesterday, today will be good. I have promised myself. I have this outfit that fits, but it is a bit bare and a bit tight. I'd like to wear it for my reception on April 2nd. That will be my day and I want to look good. So I have what I think is a reachable goal in mind. Losing 5 lbs. and working out a lot between now and then should have me in good shape for that particular outfit.

Yesterday I was thinking how many times I have lost the weight only to gain it back. It is so easy to see how that happens. For no good reason other than I have allowed diet and exercise to move to the back burner in my mind I can see that old pattern looming large. It must be a constant vigil for me, 'cause it sure doesn't come naturally and I guess it never will.

So, I hope you guys are having fun. Having good weather and getting good and refreshed before returning home. Can't wait to hear from you again.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:59 AM   #6  

Red face I'm baack!!

We arrived home Fri. A lot of snow has melted, plus the ice on the lake is looking mighty thin. It's awfully early for the ice to be breaking up. We left FL on Tues. and stayed in Va Beach for a couple of days. We did have a couple of HOT days in FL. The best weather was in Va Beach.

I did gain weight, but not as much as I thought I did. Although, I don't know how much I weighed before we left. I am starting anew on Mon. I did get the aerobic walking tapes before I left, so I will start those on Mon. The instructor on the tapes said on her website that when people start dieting they think of the food plan first, then they think of exercising, then went on to advise you to reverse that thinking. I am going to try to think like that.

ledom~I am confident that you will reach your goal by April 2nd. I know you will look fabulous in your outfit. I also have a goal, we have a wedding to go to June 22nd, and I hope to have some of this weight off by then. I did get my Prevention book on lo-carb dieting. I just skimmed through it and it looks like they have a lot of good recipes in the book. I will read it through when things settle down a bit.

judi~I'm glad you are having fun on your trip and taking a lot of pictures. I did not see any Boston's on our trip. Lacee got to romp on a "dog" beach about an hr. away from where we were staying in FL. She got "checked out" by a Great Dane, and she was not very happy. She was very quiet while the dog checked her out, then when the dog left Lacee growled She saw her first horses, which she barked at. There were 2 fences between her and the horses with about 5 ft. between the fences. They came over to see what was making all the noise, then decided it wasn't worth their while and left. On our way home we stayed in Va Beach where Lacee got to run on the beach and chase seagulls. Enjoy your trip!

Hi Shebacat!
Enjoy your weekend.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #7  
Chick

Angry Hi Alice,

I'm so glad that you are home! Sounds like you had fun. Sounds like Lacee had a blast!

that is interesting what the lady on the video says about exercise. I tend to agree that if I exercise regularly, eating falls into place. For one thing I have much less endurance if I have eaten food that is not nutritious or if I have eaten too much.

I have had a hard time as I incidated earlier. All just an excuse, but I cooked this wonderful b'day cake for my D, at her request. She got sick on her b'day and lost her appetite. I had this cake that I had spent a day making and a lot of money on ingredients as well. Then it tasted wonderful. What's a mom to do? I think I could have mustered the will to throw it out, but she didn't want me too. She finally felt good enough to have more, but I ate most of that cake over the last week and a half. Sigh! Well, it's gone now. I did good on my diet yesterday until I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. That is when I finished it off. Also, the neatest thing, I turned the TV on and In Cold Blood was on. I had never seen that movie and it was really good.

Welcome home Alice, thanks for your encouraging words. Let's get to work on our goals!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:52 AM   #8  

Angry Good morning Ledom,

The cake sounds like it was delicious Since you worked so hard on the cake you were rewarded by being able to eat most of it That is a shame your D got sick on her b'day. I'm glad she's feeling better.

How are things going for your show in April? Are you still working hard getting things together, or have things quited down a bit? I hope you got my pm with my address. I will feel very honored to receive an invitation.

I saw In Cold Blood many..many years ago and I also read the book. The book was very good.

I have been reading my book from Prevention for Lo-carb WOE. It looks like a healthy approach for lo-carbing. The food pyramid they show is a lot different than the regular food pyramid. The bottom tier is for protein & vegetables. Fruit is almost to the top of the pyramid. It's a 1500 calorie eating plan, but I think that may be too many calories for me, and they suggest starting out eating 180gm of carbs., if you don't lose any weight, they drop it down to 125gm of carbs.

I hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

Hi judi I hope you are having a marvelous time!
Take care.

Last edited by aleka; 03-10-2002 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:13 PM   #9  
Chick

Default good morning Alice

I'm SO glad you're home. Are you getting settled in?

Wellll, maybe I deserved the cake, but I sure wish I hadn't even made the dang thing. I'm having a heck of a time with the diet here lately. Why is it you can go along so fairly decently for a good stretch of time and the just lose it!?! I'm there now and just really wanting to catch hold before I do major damage.

Alice, your invitation is in the mail! So far, knock wood, things are going smoothly. As you will see, the invitations turned out so well. All I had hoped for in terms of reproduction quality. Pics are still with the framer, I should be getting them back week after next, I do hope he is ahead of schedule though.

I might be, and this could be affecting my diet, in an artistic angst over having finished a major project and not quite knowing what to do with myself now. The thing is, this has been the most angst free work of my career! The images just really make me happy.

Goal for tonight, not to eat after my last meal. I have been slipping majorly with this issue and it is the most deadly. For just tonight - I WON'T!

1500 calories and exercise - I can lose slowly doing that, but exercise is the key, otherwise I guess it is too many calories. Anymore, though I just don't feel I can go under 1500, it makes life too hard. Just my opinion, I'd rather eat and be satisfied and do the exercise rather than cut calories further.

But that is not said in the spirit of discouragement. We each know what is best for our own lifestyle and habits. Getting excited about dieting through variety of approaches is a good trick and one that I could use right now.

Have a good afternoon. Give Lacee a scratch on the head for me.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:15 AM   #10  
Chick

Default Another quick post this morning Alice.

I blew it again last night ! I couldn't sleep and in the middle of the night I got up and raided the fridge. What is the deal here?

I've decided that maybe I am bored with my exercise routine and the food I am eating. Maybe I need to shake things up a little.

I did workout this a.m. and I did do things a little differently. I am dying of thirst so I have a huge glass of water that I am drinking right now and my stomach hurts from last nights raid. Sigh!

I usually get up and have breakfast, workout, shower and get ready and have meal 2 on the way to work. I have a cup of hot tea, a diet coke, and an energy bar. Today I am going to change that, I am going to peel an orange for the drive, have the tea and leave the diet coke at home. I have been thinking for sometime that this is my weakest meal of the day, I feel wretched enough about my diet this a.m. that I think today I can actually give it up for something healthier. I am also thinking about tonight, I have low cal hot chocolate and tea as well. Maybe I should try a cup of a hot drink right before bed.

How are you doing w/ your tapes and low carbing? Send me some tips that might help. I am desperate
Old 03-11-2002, 09:29 AM   #11  

Default Hello ledom,

It almost sounds like you have diet burnout. Sometimes it does get boring eating the same way for any length of time. What if you took a mini-vacation from dieting for awhile and just try to maintain, or keeping to 1500 calories eat differently? How about trying a new exercise video? Are there any you could rent from a video store? Maybe some friends have an exercise video that you haven't tried yet. I find that if I don't vary my exercise routine I get bored with that too. I know what you are going through because I was like that last year. Don't beat yourself up because of the raid on the refrigerator last night. Maybe if you eat some protein before you go to bed it will keep the munchies away. I know that protein keeps me full longer.

I did one of the exercise videos for the first time this morning, which is a 1 mile walk, sans weights. According to her walking schedule I am to do the same video tomorrow with the weights. But, I'm not sure that I am ready for that yet. I have decided to do it at my own pace and when I get comfortable with the workout I will add the weights. Then I will work onto the 2nd video which is a 2 mile walk, then the 3rd, which is a 3 mile walk. I will eventually get there. Also, my eating went well this morning. Like you, I had an orange, then for my 2nd breakfast I had cereal & skim milk. For lunch I plan on a HUGE salad, then for supper, beef tacos, which I make with romaine lettuce leaves instead of the taco shell.

Take care and I hope your eating went well today.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:10 PM   #12  

Smile Thank you for the invitation....

I received your invitation in today's mail. What a beautiful photo on the front. Is that your kayak and is that the lake you do your kayaking on? You really are very talented. With photos like the one on the invitation, your show will be a rousing success.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:26 PM   #13  
Chick

Talking Thanks Alice,

Yes that is my boat. It is at a launch just below the dam and the lake where I paddle mostly. The spot in the picture is my favorite summertime paddle because when the water comes out through the dam it is from the bottom of the lake just above the dam and it is cold which makes for a cool paddle on a hot summer day.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:31 AM   #14  

Angry Good morning ledom,

The lake looks like a lovely spot to paddle in.

How are your eating and exercising going? Maybe once your show is over things will settle down for you.

I did my exercise video with the weights this morning. It wasn't too bad, but I think I will get used to the 1 mile walk before I graduate to the 2 mile walk. My eating went well yesterday, no snacks inbetween meals, nor did I eat after we had our supper. I was kind of hungry, but I managed to work through it.

Hi judi and shebacat

I hope you all are enjoying your day.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:51 PM   #15  
Chick

Default Alice,

you're doing great! Exercise, food, good girl. You sound like you are listening to your body about how much exercise how soon. I am a strong advocate of that approach. Older DOES make you wiser on things like that, don't you think?

Hey, I am doing pretty well considering where I have been and the kind of day I had today. Yesterday I was really right on with exercise and food. I had a little trouble at bedtime, but managed to stop with a small handful of animal crackers and a small glass of milk.

Today was stressful, but not all bad. I got up early and worked on a presentation I gave at noon. I talked on Women Photographers for Women's History month. I think I spent 20 hrs. preparing for a 20 minute talk. But, it went well. So I was wound up about that. Then I took off early to drive to "Big City" for the camera repair shop and got caught in contruction zone ****. I sat in my car for 4 hours going at a crawl. I just have to try to forget about it, it was so horrible. AND the camera shop was closed when I finally got there.

BUT, I didn't overeat. I didn't eat a PMD diet and I didn't exercise, but I will tomorrow I think. I feel like I might have worked through my bad spell. I'm hoping anyway. I think you were right about being bored and I am trying to break things up and be creative with some new food and exercise ideas. It is supposed to be 70 and sunny on Thursday and I have the day off. Kayaking is in my near future and that will make my world right.
Closed Thread