Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default I'm a dinnertime snacker...

I've recently fallen back into the habit of snacking while I'm cooking dinner. If I'm putting cheese with something, I'll eat a little extra. Or taste the enchilada sauce a few too many times...then I'll feel HORRIBLE because I can't tell how much extra I ate, and I worry it killed my calories for the day...

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to avoid it? (Other than will-power...which I obviously have NONE of these days)
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Chew mint gum while you are cooking.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Oh, I definitely do that!
I'll try to keep an eye on how much I'm eating and then be honest about it in my daily plate. Just the act of trying to keep an eye so I can count helps me stay a little bit in check.
The mint gum is a good idea!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Chew mint gum while you are cooking.
I think that is an excellent solution!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Great idea, fiberlover!!!! Gotta get some gum....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep, if I'm cooking something overly tempting, I chew gum.

I also measure out ingredients before I start cooking for my calorie-calculating, rather than after cooking. That means if I snack on something while cooking, it gets deducted from the total amount cooked for dinner. Since my portion is 1/4 of the total I cook, I just portion myself up a bit less than my "share" at dinner and it all evens out.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

If I'm REALLY hungry while cooking, I will get myself a healthy snack, so I have something to munch on. Usually raw veggies or something. It's easier to avoid the ingredients if I'm already eating something.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I sometimes chew gum, or suck on a sugar free candy. Then of course there's ice cubes to munch on. Might be worth a shot.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 8"

I like the gum idea but I have this image of the gum falling out of my mouth and into dinner (surprise! )

This was a major problem for me too - until I started getting practically obsessive about my food journaling. I kept a pad of paper next to me in the kitchen and made a column for everything I was using to prepar dinner. Then I would put a hash mark in the column every time I "tested" the food. Just having that visual reminder of how many bites I was taking (and the fact that really often my "tastes" added up to more than an entire serving ) helped me break that habit pretty quickly.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

When I find myself snacking as I prepare, it's because I'm hungry. The suggestion of having a snack available, especially something like vegetables or a fruit serving cut up in bite size pieces is a really good one.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
This was a major problem for me too - until I started getting practically obsessive about my food journaling. I kept a pad of paper next to me in the kitchen and made a column for everything I was using to prepar dinner. Then I would put a hash mark in the column every time I "tested" the food. Just having that visual reminder of how many bites I was taking (and the fact that really often my "tastes" added up to more than an entire serving ) helped me break that habit pretty quickly.
That is a great idea!

I just try to limit my snacks to the ingredients that aren't very high in calories--mainly the veggies I am adding. I figure if I'm not losing/maintaining my weight, the problem isn't the veggies.

If I have to sample something to see if it is done, seasoned appropriately, etc., I try to take a very small amount. So 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of the sauce I am making, a little slice of potato, just a tiny piece of pasta (instead of a whole noodle), or just a few grains of rice.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote