Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #1  
Success Leads to Success

S/C/G: 161.8/161.8/135

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Week One Results - Weight Gain :(

I had my one week weigh in today and I gained weight! When I got weighed in after my take off and another time after that I was down almost 5 pounds but today I was up! Feeling really down about it, I have been following the plan (plan 3 without lites) Any thoughts? Suggestions? Stories?

Last edited by chan; 04-09-2008 at 03:02 PM.
chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Chan, Did you weigh in at a different time of day? Did you wear something a little heavier (jeans can weigh a couple of pounds more than some lighter options) Did you drink a lot of water right before. You most likely just are seeing a fluctuation based on those things and not a "gain". A person can weigh quite a few pounds heavier later in the day than first thing in the morning. I found it best to always weigh in at the same time of the day and after eating about the same amount of food previously in the day, so I was seeing actual weight changes and not just a measure of how much water I had had (each cup is half a pound afterall)
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #3  
Success Leads to Success

Thank you Barbara,
I did weigh in at the same time and was wearing pretty much the same weight in clothes. I am sure I will do better next time. I think the fantastic stories of great weight loss in the first week had my hopes up a little higher then they should have been. I do love the plan and will stick with it - all in time I guess!
Just curious, how much does one typically loose in their first week?

Last edited by chan; 04-09-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Everybody fluctuates. And as Barbara mentioned it can even have to do with liquid consumption or what you ate before weigh in - not to mention natural female hormonal fluctuations, water retention due to salt consumption, etc.

I know that some say that it works best for them not to weigh at home at all or at least very often, but personally I prefer the opposite. I weigh every morning at home, first thing in the morning, no clothes. I think that's the most true weight there is, and that's what I go by. I don't even pay attention to what I weigh at the center! And to help myself not be troubled by fluctuations, I track my daily weights on an Excel spreadsheet and chart it against a 2-pound a week goal, so that I can see forward progress even with the fluctuations. For me, it works like a charm - keeps me from stressing over those minor ups on the scale and keeps me focused on the end goal.

Try not to let it get to you too badly. I'll bet there's a drop coming on the scale for you next visit!
LeighAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #5  
Success Leads to Success

Thanx LeighAnn!
I was thinking about getting a scale for home but was told that it was not a good idea by the center... I think I might anyway, you are right - naked at home in the morning is your real weight!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Leigh Ann is right, I can gain an alarming 7 pounds right before that time of the month... You probably did every month, but never really weighed yourself to find out before.

Weight loss is just a crazy thing. So hard to predict when you'll see it on the scale. I don't think there is a "normal" to it. I didn't lose anything at first, but was down over 10 pounds in the first month. So just stick with it and you'll likely be seeing good things really soon. There will be good weigh ins and awful horrible ones like the one you just had... but if the trend is down, well that is great.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

It is nice to see the early results but the real measure of success is a downward trend. It takes time to gain weight, it takes time to lose weight. And you need to do everything at a pace you cam maintain after weight lose. Good luck we are here for you.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Height: 4'11"

Me personally... i only weigh at the center.. I have a scale at home- but I dont use it. My scale and their scale is different so instead of worrying over it.. I just go by their scale.

I am on plan 2 with the lites (however I dont actually use LA Lites- I buy diff bars) and In these last 3 weeks.. I've lost 2 pounds...ya a whoppin 2 pounds. But you know what? It takes time.. We just gotta stick with it. Setting our goals high is great..but just focus on one goal at a time.. K? Oh and also..even if the scale doesn't always show numbers dropping- doesn't necessarily mean your not losing inches. After you've been there for 4 weeks they'll take all your measurments again so you can see how many inches you've lost!

Good luck!
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Chan,
I experienced the same thing the first week - my scale showed a drop, but when I weighed in I was actually up. Don't stress too much, as long as you are following the plan and getting all your waters in, the scale will reflect that.

LeighAnn,

Are we secretly related? I do the same thing, weigh myself every morning in the nude - this is my indication that I did ok the day before... usually if I feel like i have slipped a little the day before, it will show on my scale in the morning and I know I've got to be hard on myself! I also track my weight loss against my goals on excel! I actually do this secretly because I thought people would think I'm crazy!

funny...

JulieZ.
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: S-194/C-182/G-135

Height: 5'3"

Sorry the scale bummed you out, stupid scale, it holds such power over us doesn't it.

Just stick to it I am sure you'll do well, My first weigh in wasn't that great then the next two weeks it took off, levelled out again and now it's a small dip here and there.

If it makes you feel better having company being bummed, I worked out like a banshee this week and went up 2 ounces. It just happens.

take care
H
betty big bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #11  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

chan..........get your gloves on....cuz you aren't giving up! you are going to fight hard and win And welcome to our little group of losers
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #12  

JulieZ -

Too funny!!! I was actually afraid to confess my little scale compulsion here, for fear that people would jump on me about being so neurotic.

But truly, weighing naked first thing in the morning keeps me from wondering - Was I wearing the same weight clothes? Did I drink a big glass of water before I went to the COD? etc

And tracking it in Excel against my long-term goal helps me to see the big picture and keeps me from going nuts when I do things like I did this week....
Down 1.7 lbs yesterday Up 3lbs today

Deep breath everyone. Regardless of what that crazy little scale says, we're all doing our health a HUGE favor and it's bound to sort itself out on the scale in the long run, right? (and, for the record, I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else )
LeighAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #13  
Success Leads to Success

Thanks everyone!
I won't give up... I go to my COD again tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Last edited by chan; 04-10-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #14  
Success Leads to Success

I weighed in today and was down 2.2 Feeling better about it now!