Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Calorie question...

Ok, so over the months I've gotten my husband where he'll eat less red meat and more chicken. Still working on fish....

Anyway, we're having Chicken Helper tonight. I know it's not GOOD for you, but it's nowhere near as bad, calorie wise, as Hamburger Helper or any of those other quick meals. Like when I literally have an hour to cook, eat and be gone from the house. And it's not something we do often.

Anyway, the box says 1 cup prepared is 260 calories. Would that INCLUDE the chicken that you add to the rest of the stuff?

Just always wondered....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

"Prepared" amounts should be the calories, per cup, if you made it per the package directions, so yes, chicken should be included.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #3  

Thanks again, Mandalinn!! I'm full of questions today!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Like when I literally have an hour to cook, eat and be gone from the house.
I hope you don't mind a suggestion here - the two pieces of kitchen equipment thta have helped me the most in dealing with eating healthy while I'm running around like crazy are my George Foreman grill and my crockpot.

If I know in advance that I will have limited time for dinner, I throw meat and veggies into a crockpot and dinner is ready when I get home.

If I don't know in advance or if I wind up having limited time due to a schedule change, throwing a boneless skinless chicken breast or a lean burger patty, or even a veggie burger on the GF grill takes 10-12 minutes to cook. While it's cooking on the grill, I throw some frozen veggies into the microwave, maybe a small sweet potato, or some baked brown rice (I always have some leftover in the fridge).

Having these two things has really helped me to avoid pre-packaged stuff when I'm runnign short on time!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #5  

Suggestions are always welcome, PhotoChick!!

We've got a crock pot that I absolutely ADORE!!! I'm making some killer chicken enchiladas later this week using it, in fact. And the GF grill is great too, though ours is probably wearing out because it's seriously over-cooking in a too-short time

We try to stay away from the pre-packaged stuff as much as possible...but this time of year I'm SO busy with stuff. I'm the editor of a weekly paper, and cover the entire town, including school stuff. So Monday, Tuesday and Friday nights usually have to be really quick. We'd be crock-potted out!

I could use some new crock pot style recipes, though...know where I can find some? We can't get pork chops to cook worth anything in it...