Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #1  
I will do this.

Default When eating out...

Hellooo there!

I hope all of you are having a great day! I just wanted to share with you my eating out experience last night.

So...everything thursday night my dad and I usually eat out to catch up on our week and say hi.

Last night we went to Outback Steakhouse. I ordered Hearts of Gold Chicken and sipped on my bacardi and diet coke while my dad eat at the whole loaf of bread with butter and drank wine. (Sucks, I know!)

Anyway when my dish came out it was covered in a rich creamy sauce (the menu said a "light lemon sauce...yeah right!) and I was so hungry that I didn't send it back...

After about three bites I just couldn't take it anymore and send it back for a grilled skinless chicken breast and broccoli without butter....and boy am I glad I did!

This morning I went onto their website for the calories and by sending my meal back for a better one I saved about 350 calories!!!

So I say, when it doubt SEND IT BACK!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

first of all, bread and wine are huge weaknesses of mine, so major props to you for abstaining!! and second, i never trust sauces. they're usually filled with hidden fat and it seems like they always have healthy-sounding names. i mean, aside from the ones that are honestly labeled cream sauces. glad you sent it back!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

GOOD FOR YOU!! I always feel bad & never send anything back. I Especially hate when the restaurant I'm invited too doesn't have nutrtional facts on the website! Grr...

Great job on your WILL POWER!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Great job on sending it back!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #5  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Great job! Next time I am at a restaurant send me some of your bread and butter willpower vibes.
SkinnyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

good for you!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #7  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Good job!!
I went to Outback a few nights ago and I couldn't find the calories for the food on their website. I found this nutritional section that told me what to order...but not the calories. Where did you find the calories?
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #8  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Good for you!

I have trouble eating out, because I'm not great at estimating calorie values when the website doesn't have them, and then, of course, I have trouble not eating the whole thing, even if it's huge!
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I hate that lemon sauces do that so often! I find that you really have to beware of any kind of lemon anything. I have started asking how close the lemon sauce resembles lemon juice in terms of thickness and clarity (seriously). I love lemon on just about anything but I mean *lemon*, not cream and butter and a dash of lemon zest. I think restaurants assume that when someone sees a word signifying something that used to grow in the ground they'll go for it over something that says "cream." Stupid marketing.

Good job though on standing up for yourself and ordering what you wanted!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #10  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Great job!!!! I could have been so easy just to dig in, but you made a very reasonable decision - to be healthy! Congrats!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #11  
I will do this.

It was hard to watch my dad eat bread and drink wine! For goodness sake I am Italian!!!!

It was so hard not to eat my original meal...dang it was tasty...but I suppose nothing tastes as good as being healthy.

I also went to whole foods today and got some of my own sauces so I can make my own chicken. I just learning how to cook..(my poor fiance!!!) and I am hoping that I can spice up my chicken dishes.

Any other ideas for chicken?

We also bought cabbage (He's from England and likes funny food) so what the heck do I do with cabbage? It looks like lettuce....smells like lettuce....but alas is it NOT lettuce....

Last edited by Taylor86; 04-04-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I LOVE boiled cabbage, it's good with a light spray of can't believe it's not butter and pepper. That's just my preference though.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #13  
I will do this.

Just boil it in some water? Sounds promising...

How long does one boil this...cabbage aka unknown vegetable to me.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

Until it's soft I'd say, you can take little pieces out to test. Beware of cabbage in big amounts though...kinda makes you toot toot beep beep
I find it really hard to find healthy choices in restaurants, I tend to really scan the menu and read between the lines, soups are usually ok.
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #15  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

It's tasty raw - after all it's what coleslaw starts out as. We use it in salads like lettuce or added to a salad with lettuce. It can be a little spicy or peppery raw, especially as you get closer to the core.

Cooked, it gets sweet tasting. You can microwave it with just the water clinging to it from rinsing it. Cut a chunk a little bigger than your fist, chop it up some (or not) and microwave for a minute. Check a piece to see if it is tender enough for you. Microwave more if needed. We like ours tender but not mushy.

I eat it plain. My husband adds worchestershire sauce.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote