Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9

Default Just Got Diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic and Need Support

I saw my doctor yesterday, and she informed me that my blood sugar is high, and while I don't have full-blown diabetes yet, I am pre-diabetic. She put me on Glucophage and told me I need to lose weight and exercise... which I'm already doing. Last year I lost 60 pounds but gained 30 back; I've since started back on a healthier eating plan and have lost 18 pounds. So I'm about 47 pounds less than my highest weight in February 2007.

Basically I'm just kind of freaked out here. I'm only 28 and don't have a family history of diabetes; this is entirely due to my obesity. I also have high cholesterol and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (which may actually be causing my weight problems, not due to it). I'm already on the path to weight loss but I feel like I should be doing more than just dieting, exercising and taking this new med. I'm really scared I'm going to develop full-blow diabetes here.

Also, my doctor told me that Glucophage will help me lose weight, but someone else I know says she gained weight on it. What are your guy's experiences with it?
Lunalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Okay, Chickie . . . calm down . . . stress is bad for blood sugar, too.

Rest assured you are taking the first and probably most important step by losing weight. My other words of advice -- ensure that you balance the carbs in your diet as evenly as possible throughout the day -- avoid fast acting carbs (white flour, white sugar, any highly processed foods) -- keep up the exercise.

Metformin (the generic name for Glucophage) is probably the only oral medication for controlling blood sure that does NOT encourage weight gain. It may not help your loss but definitely won't hinder it. The most common side effects would be 'lower-tummy' related problems in the first few weeks of taking it.

Good luck, Chickie . . . you can do it . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #3  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I've read that it helps with losing weight and that some women take it for that reason. I felt like it helped me and was partly afraid to get off it till I lost all the weight I wanted. I did lose it and then my doctor finally decided to get me off metformin so it kinda worked out nicely that way. I def. agree, it won't make you gain weight and it has that on other meds.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #4  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Hi.

I also went to my endocrinologist yesterday and she told me I am pre-diabetic, but she is waiting 3 months to see if I can bring my blood pressure and weight down. My dad had Type II diabetes towards the end of his life so the predisposition is there. I have felt for years that I had it but it didn't show up. At my age, 71, I expect stuff to start showing up and I am not worried - I just started on my low-carb program and the weight is coming off so I know the blood sugar will also drop.

Don't be afraid of this. It can be controlled and you can live a long, happy life. I have several friends who have had it for years and they are doing fine. Just take your medication, watch your carbs and hang in there. You'll do fine.
krosmon is offline   Reply With Quote