Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default NSV Challenge (Step Away from the SCALE!!!)

Are you tired of being married to your scale?

Do you let the numbers you see dictate how successful you feel?

Would you like to focus on healthy lifestyle changes such as eating better, trying new and healthy foods, exercising and reaching new milestones, inches lost, lowering your body fat percentage, fitting into smaller sizes, days on plan?

Well then this is the place for YOU!!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!!

List the ways you have made improvements in your life by sticking to your personal plan, begin to look for those small victories like saying no to sweets when you are PMSing for the last 2 months, like eating 4 servings of vegetables every day, like exercising even when you didn't want to at first.

Allow yourself to focus on things OTHER than the numbers on a scale-They need not DEFINE YOU!!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE and STEP INTO YOUR NEW LIFE, a healthier, happier, more sane and free life, where those little numbers have no power over you.

Post here to showcase each NSV that isn't related to pounds, stones, weight in general. Give and get support to those who have been scale addicted in the past and those who are in recovery from this harsh addiction that wreaks havoc on so many of our lives.

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE, join us, see how liberating it can be!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

Hello, my name is Bliss and I'm a scale addict.

(Hi Bliss!!!)

Well, I have mixed feelings about the scale. See, the scale has been "good" to me. I've been participating in weight loss challenges for 2 rounds of 12 week challenges. Ive lost a LOT of weight. The thing is, being consistent and making changes I know are sustainable are things that are MORE important to me.

Let me say that I don't own a scale. I weigh in at the doctor's an at the gym if I am curious as to what I weigh.

The thing is, I have seen so many women allow themselves to be owned by those 3 (or 2 in some cases) little numbers on that scale for so long and I am tired of it. They are tired of it too and I know it, because they have said so.

I see people setting themselves up for failure when they don't focus on the bigger picture and so, here I am, focusing on the bigger picture for myself, encouraging others to come along for the ride.

I say, weigh yourself (if you must) but try to keep that talk out of this thread, as it's intent is to be happy about all the other fabulous things you are achieving, the wonderful new habits you are developing and the ways you are a success NOW, today, THIS MOMENT.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Oooh, GREAT idea! Thanks Bliss.

Here's my NSV for this week - Yesterday DH stopped at the store and brought home "dinner". He did pretty well keeping me in mind and chose a roasted chicken dinner. I can peel off the skin and eat the roasted chicken, add a little steamed broccoli and be OP. BUT, the dinner also included potato salad and 4 dinner rolls. Potato salad I can leave alone if it's not homemade but those rolls, oh, those rolls. King's Hawaiian (If you don't have that brand in your area you are lucky - they are soft and sweet, even without butter, sooooooo tempting). 'K, so there I am putting one on DH's plate and thinking "I could have just one and still be within calories". Probably stood there a good 5 minutes looking at the package (felt like at least an hour). Old me would have taken the "one" roll then brain would have clicked into neutral and the rest would have also disappeared into tummy. New me - "nope. I know if I eat one I won't stop". Wrapped them up and put them away. I'll be crumbling them up this afternoon and putting them out for the birds.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Thanks, Bliss, for making this thread I've been waiting in anticipation since the moment you mentioned it!

I'm a meeting-going member of WW, and I feel a little disappointed some days when I go in and ask people "How are you doing today?" and they answer "We'll see when I get off the scale."

I noticed, though, that lately I've let my own "success-scale" be weighed down (pun intended) by the numbers I see between my big toes. And while I will still have to weigh-in weekly, I'd like to focus on something different for this thread.

WW has 8 good health guidelines. I'd like to work on each of them (over time of course) in order to feel healthier & more successful about the things that matter long-term. (Can't lose weight forever.)

Since week one, I've pretty consistently been able to handle 6 glasses of water a day. (Woo-hoo for a huge NSV!) I've recently begun to track my "5 servings of fruits & vegetables" each day. I don't have a problem getting them in (I loves me some fruits & veg!), but I haven't kept track. Why not begin today?

I have some monkey stickers at my house. My reward for each day that I get in 6 glasses of water, and track my 5 servings of fruit/veg will be a monkey sticker on my food tracker.

Best of success to all with their NSVs!

Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #5  
Manda

S/C/G: 304.5/165/149

Height: 5'2"

SB! Thank you for doing this.

I have a small scale addiction and I am ready to get over it! It has gotten to the point that even if I am OP everyday and exercise I still don't feel good about myself if the scale doesn't show a big loss. No more!

My plan for the NSV challege is to get in at least 30 mins of running a day and track my food each day. I am going to take my measurements tonight and then again at the end of this challenge. I can't wait to see how my body is changing. That truly is more important than the # on the scale to me.

A hugh NSV that I had this weekend---I got a pair of 16 capri's to put up and be able to wear by this summer. I tried them on when I got home and they fit! I haven't been able to wear a 16 since I was 15 yrs old!
ahill1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

SoulBliss -- like Faerie, I've been waiting for this challenge since you first mentioned it! Also like Faerie, I'm on WW and am mildly annoyed by the scale focus (hey there Faerie, yet another thread I'll be running into you on!) I am a total scale addict, but trying to be more attentive to behaviors rather than fickle numbers.
So, for this challenge, my goals are to get into the pool by the end of the month (need a bikini wax first!), and I don't know what else yet. I'm going to be inspired by Faerie (yet again) and see what the WW healthy guidelines are, maybe that'll help me set up some good goals. I know I struggle with getting in the veggies, maybe that'll be one. I'll check in later with more concrete goals.
Looking forward to this challenge!!
S

Last edited by shrinkinglizzy; 04-01-2008 at 02:09 PM.
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #7  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

I am a total scale addict!
I am going to put my scale in the cupboard, and only bring it out on Monday mornings...'out of sight, out of mind' logic...usually works for me!
I did some shopping in Michigan (I am from Ontario), and purchased a couple pairs of capris that are a bit tight....butt (pardon the pun) not for long! My goal is to fit into them by the end of the month.
My NSV today was getting out of bed at 5:15am and getting a good 1 hour cardio/sculpt work-out done! My goal is to do that every morning, and if the weather permits (it's pouring here right now), get a C25K session done in the afternoon....housework can wait until evening!!
My MIL is making sausage and potatoes for dinner...so I plan to load up on water and a salad before dinner!

I am going to keep track of my work-outs here...to keep me motivated:
1/1...60 minutes cardio/sculpt
Thanks Soulbliss for starting this thread!

Last edited by Dea; 04-01-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #8  

Hi ya'all. I too am a scale addict, and I need to get out of that mentality.

On Satuarday (sorry soul mandy and dea- you've heard this one) I went to WW and I was up 5 pounds, I wanted to die right there. That week, I over ate on Easter Sunday, but not too bad- we didn't have a really "unhealthy" dinner, I just didn't feel like tracking points. I ate 27 points for the rest of the week, and worked my butt off in the gym- spun 3 times, did C25K a few times, and did a step class. I still gained 5 pounds, the WW lady was rude, and told me how I was doing something wrong and I wasn't following the plan. I know that I didn't eat 17,000 extra calories to pack those 5 pounds in a week, I know that I am retaining water from hitting the gym so much, but still I felt like a total failure, and I am not! I am active, I am eating right, my muscles are just sore and holding on to that water! SO, I want to be less concentrated on that number, and more on my overall health, well being, and life style.

I am going to take measurements today, and take progress pictures so I can gague myself that way. If I am up on the scale, i will not let it get to me the way my last WI did.

I want to have one week FREE of minless eating. I want to sit down, plan my meals out, chew my food thorougly, put down my spoon inbetween each bite and TASTE my food.
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Hi all! I was on Weight Watchers from October through January and then discovered Intuitive Eating. So now I'm following that "plan" and just trying to eat more consciously in general. This is similar to the I Can Make You Thin show, and I have a book called Intuitive Eating. Well, in the book they strongly recommend tossing the scale out as for so many people, it sets the mood for the whole day. Lost weight=good day, gained weight=bad day. And honestly, if you gain or lose weight sometimes it's just water weight anyway, and it's absolutely ridiculous to attach any emotion to that. But we do.

When I was in WW, I was playing all the little games I think many members play before weighing in. I drank tons of water in the morning, ate a light lunch and maybe a snack, and stopped eating and drinking around 1. My weigh-ins were at 6. Then I ate a small snack since I was then starving and had to sit through a meeting before dinner. At one of my last meetings, I noticed that my stomach HURT. I wasn't just hungry, I was in pain. I was afraid I was getting sick, but my husband made me eat some soup and once I did my stomach felt fine. That's when I realized how badly I was letting the scale dictate my mood.

So, now I'm trying not to weigh myself. I do have a scale but I hid it. I almost got it out this morning because well, you ever wake up and think you're having a skinny morning? I did. But then I remembered I'm also PMSing so the scale may say something I really don't like and decided not to get it out. So I guess in a way, that could be considered a NSV!

I recently posted some random thoughts in the IE thread about things that I guess could be considered NSVs. I'm getting better about questioning why I'm eating or wanting to eat. I'm also getting back into the swing of exercise. I am loving the challenge of scaling big hills while pushing a double stroller. I hate it at the time, but I feel good after. And I decided to refresh my wardrobe even though I have an entire spring wardrobe waiting for me in a smaller (pre-pregnancy) size. I am aiming to feel better about myself and stop deriving self-worth into my body image.

I have to think about small concrete goals, but I love this thread!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #10  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Hi all! I was on Weight Watchers from October through January and then discovered Intuitive Eating. So now I'm following that "plan" and just trying to eat more consciously in general. This is similar to the I Can Make You Thin show, and I have a book called Intuitive Eating. Well, in the book they strongly recommend tossing the scale out as for so many people, it sets the mood for the whole day. Lost weight=good day, gained weight=bad day. And honestly, if you gain or lose weight sometimes it's just water weight anyway, and it's absolutely ridiculous to attach any emotion to that. But we do.
I have seen the ads for the show "I can make you thin"....is it a good show to watch??
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

Dea, it is! I think the basic information he presents is the best part of it, but you might get something out of the different techniques he presents too. There are threads all over the place here if you are interested in learning more!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 8"

Just realized this is set up to be a challenge thread

I've been coming to 3FC since January but never really looked at any of the challenges. Can you let me know how this works? Do we challenge ourselves to notice an NSV each day? Or do we set a goal and challenge each other to meet them?
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

I think it should be self-motivated...Identifying ways we can celebrate accomplishments that we reach personally (not in competition with one another) that don't relate to weight/pounds etc.

So, identifying progress you've personally made is the way to go!

I am so glad that so many are on board...There's room for more!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #14  

Amy- I have been meaning to catch that show but I haven't been able to watch it on Sundays and can't find any reruns on TLC. I have read some recaps of it though, and I really hope to watch it soon! The tapping- I think I read about it in the 2nd episode is such a wonderful tool, I tap to relieve stress and it really does work- I'd be interested to see what it does with eating and cravings. I need to check that book out!
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

Well all, it's the evening, and I'll be heading to bed soon enough. So I thought I'd report in! First day A-OK! Got my monkey sticker ^^ Water: check! Fruit/Veg: check! I had an apple, a pear, 4 frozen stalks of broccoli (the larger kind, with more stem attached, and I heated them before eating them ^^), and 2 cups of grapes. A good day indeed. Hope everyone else is doing fine
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote