Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default April C25K Starters Block

Hope it's OK I start the April C25K starters/progress thread...

W4D2 for me...wow. Hard. Hard. Hard. I got through it, and that's what counts. My legs have decided they don't like me...but my heart and lungs think I'm pretty OK.

Happy running, everyone!
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #2  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

I had originally planned to start the C25K in March, but as I don't have a treadmill, and the weather has been really crappy, I only got out once!
So....let's try this again!!!
I plan to get out 3 times this week...weather permitting!
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Height: 5'6

Hi guys! I've been just lurking up to this point, but I think I'm going to try the C25k too.

On Sunday I started running for the first time in a reallly long time. I did 5 minute intervals of walking at 3 mph and running at 6mph, repeated 3 times. It was hard but not impossible, but I am still sore today (tuesday)! I found the c25k program yesterday, and I think I'm just going to start it from the beginning.

Good luck to the rest of you in continuing or just starting the program like me!
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #4  

I did D2W3 today, I didn't think it was all that bad I felt pretty good about it.

Week 4 looks HARD, is it a big jump?
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #5  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Hey Berner, thanks a lot for starting the new shiny thread!

Welcome back, Dea! Welcome, ShadesOfGray! Good luck and happy trails to you both!

caitbeans, I'm repeating week 4 right now, and for me it was the biggest jump in intensity so far - it's doable, but it's a lot more running than before, and I really need every single second of the rest periods now. On the other hand, my running has gotten faster quite naturally - I have to up the treadmill speed to at least 5.2-5.5. or risk falling over my own feet...

Last edited by Heffalump; 04-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

I attempted Day 1 of Week 7 yesterday. I did not make it at plan, but I did not quit!
It's 25 minutes straight of running. I'm still getting over my cold, so at 15 minutes my throat felt like it was ready to burst into flames (along with my thighs from rubbing together ) so I walked for 2 minutes and then ran the last 8. Try again tomorrow!!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #7  

I decided to start with Week 3 since I found out I could run 5 min intervals without too much of a problem. The first day wasn't too bad, but it was still hard. I did my warm-up at 4 mph, ran at 6 mph, and walked at 3 mph. I think I'm going back to the gym tonight to do 30 mins on the eliptical, as long as I'm not too sore or tired. I'm spoiled - the gym is about a 30 second walk away from my dorm!

mothermavis - Great job on week 7! I'm afraid for the long runs without any breaks! You can do it!

Heffalump - Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #8  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hey all! Berner, thanks for starting the new thread! I am excited that we are all still in the game, and others are joining in where they can! Welcome to the new runners-to-be!

I totally bailed on my planned run yesterday. I spent most of the day on a plane and had to get up ridiculously early, so I just took it easy. Today will be W3D3; wish me luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #9  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Just had a very relaxed W4D5 on the track - and just when I was done, some friends showed up and I ended up jogging a couple more laps without even thinking about it! I think one more intense W4 workout on the treadmill on Friday and I'll be ready to take a shot at week 5.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

W4D3 this morning. Wow. Still quite difficult. I'm going to repeat it on Friday then consider going on...though I'm afraid to look at what week 5 has in store for me!

Welcome to all the new starters and congrats on everyone else's progress - way to go!!

Happy Running!
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #11  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

I know i asked this question on another thread....but I can't remember where.

The C25K podcasts that can be downloaded....I have found itunes, and found podcasts in the itunes "jukebox".....where do I go from there to find the free podcasts that will promt me when to walk and jog?
Any help would be great!
Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/226/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I know i asked this question on another thread....but I can't remember where.

The C25K podcasts that can be downloaded....I have found itunes, and found podcasts in the itunes "jukebox".....where do I go from there to find the free podcasts that will promt me when to walk and jog?
Any help would be great!
I downloaded my podcasts from ITunes. They were free. I just performed a search for Couch Potato to 5K and they popped up. Not my choice of music, but it is entertaining. When I time myself, I'm too distracted.

I completed W3 D1 yesterday. Before my workout, I gave myself permission to repeat W2 if it was too difficult. However, it was great. I actually thought it was easier than W2. I should rest today, but I actually want to give it another go tonight.

Last edited by Foodie08; 04-03-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Foodie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Dea, here's my best attempt to describe the process... if you need more details let me know.

Assuming you have iTunes 7:
-click on "iTunes Store" in the menu on the left
-in the top right hand corner there's a search box that says "Search iTunes Store" under it, search for "Couch to 5K"
-in the upper part of the window, where there are titles with little icons next to them, one result should be "Podcasts for running" -- click the icon
-in the bottom half of the window, there's a list of all the different workouts -- click the "get episode" button all the way on the right to download each workout that you want
-once they're done downloading, you can sync them to your iPod and you should be able to listen to them!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I started the C25K today. I attempted it before 20+ pounds heavier and couldn't get past week 2. I hope that I will be able to push further this time.
I have found the 60 second jogs to be no problem with a quick recovery this time - which I attribute to being in much better shape.

I might talk my sister into doing a 5K run in July to give me motivation to keep going.

Last edited by fiberlover; 04-03-2008 at 10:06 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #15  

Great job fiberlover! I'm glad it was much easier for you this time. If you get stuck again, you could try repeating a week before going on to the next one that is too hard.

I was tempted to do the c25k again today, but the program specifically states to only do it 3 days a week (and I did it yesterday). I did 30 minutes elliptical instead, plus some biking around campus. I can already tell that my heart rate was a bit lower than before on the elliptical, even though I was at my normal intensity. Before, my HR was around 160-165, and today my HR was mostly around 150.

Happy running everyone!