General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default Food debate sprung from dog related discussion

Hey guys,
This is an odd question but it has been on my mind for a long time. I used to be part of a dog forum, and dog food was always a hot topic. People would argue over which foods were best, which were worst, etc. etc. One of the supports that many people used to use to defend high-end dog foods was the significantly smaller amount of poop produced by their canine friends. I feed a very high protien, high quality food to my dog as well, and have also noticed the change in the amount of doo-doo I have to pick up.

The argument was always based on how much of the food the dog's body was using. Supporters believed that the food was being more efficiently processed, and more nutrients were being absorbed, and therefore, the body produced less waste. I want to know- is this valid?

For those of you who maybe eat a higher protien diet, or who eat very clean with foods that have little or no fillers- do you feel that you poop less? (an odd question I know, lol) Should the amount of waste one produces be a sign of how well they are eating?

I know I am asking a lot to have people share their bathroom related habits, but I really want to know if it's an accurate indicator, or if the people on the dog forums were spouting rubbish. Thanks so much in advance!!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #2  

Okay, I'll get the ball rolling

I'm not a incredibly healthy eater, but am trying to do much better. However, on the other side -- I know when I've binged on crap, the next day, I definitely go to the bathroom probaby 3 to 4 times more often than after a well planned -- fruit/veg day.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Less fiber=less pooping. Especially insoluble fiber!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #4  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I'm not a vet, and so this is just a thought: it's possible that our digestive tracts and those of dogs differ enough that responses to your question may not be a valid indicator. That said, since I've been careful with what and how much I am eating, I am less of a strain on the environment in the human waste department.

Wow. Never thought I'd be able to answer that question without words a 5-year old would enjoy

Ti'an
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think this is one of those "urban lore" ideas that would be best checked out with vets and doctors.

I'm kinda put off by the idea that a dog owner would feed their dog in such a way as to minimize their poop. Would we do that to a child? I'd hope not.

Humans need fiber in their diet. It's not a matter of more "efficiently" absorbing nutrients. Nor should there be a goal of pooping more or less.

Of the things to concern oneself with while trying to lose weight, this should probably be a ways down on the list...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote