Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #1  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

Default New to exercise would like to know what to do!

I am not sure what I should be doing to promote weight loss. I know that I need cardio of course.

For my weight what would be considered effective workouts for me. What should I expect to be able to do. I dont want to sell myself short and think I cant do a lot if I am this heavy, on the other hand I dont want to overdo it and hurt myself.

I know many of you have been exercising for a while and I thought you might have a plan for me or suggestions or something.

thank you
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

The safest--for your joints & heart-- is walking. Either outside or treadmill. I like the treadmill as it is very easy to have feedback and to gradually increase the challenge. You can gradually increase your time, speed and incline in easily measurable amounts. I look forward to walking outside in a couple months when we get moved. I invested in an Omron pedometer. When walking outside, a pedometer would give you feedback.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

The Walk Away The Pounds videos & DVD's w/Leslie Sansone are an excellent starting point too. That's what got me started again. it's a good way to ease yourself in to exercise and you don't need a whole lot of space.

Good luck!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Walking, elliptical or swimming...those are all low impact on the joints. A lot of folks like the Walk Away the Pounds videos, which can be done at home indoors, and you don't need a treadmill, just a tv and player and a little floor space. If you join a gym, you could get with a trainer and they'd design a program for you to get started with, if working out in a gym appeals to you.

I think the most important thing, for me, has been picking things I really enjoy doing or have always wanted to try. I never could stick to exercising when I chose things that seemed like a "workout", just for the sake of working out, if that makes any sense.

There are many, many ways to get your "cardio", so just keep that in mind, and try to pick from things that will be interesting and enjoyable for YOU, not what someone else tells you is "best". The best exercise, like the best diet, is whatever you will stick with!

If you try something, and later find it's not a good fit or it gets boring, just replace it with something else. It might help you at first to make a list of activities you can do already, that you enjoy, and also things you've always wanted to try, even if you feel they're too hard right now. It doesn't take long for your fitness level to improve, really, so things that seem out of reach now will soon be very possible!

Best of luck to you, and congrats on your weight loss so far!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I was quite out of shape when I started and focused on walking (indoors and outdoors, I started with 1 1/2 miles, at a pace of about 2 miles per hour) and swimming (as a former competitive swimmer, I had good strokes, but I could only start with doing about 10 lengths at first before tiring), plus I also did aqua aerobics (very nice for joints and flexibility). As I got stronger, which happened faster than I thought it would, I added the elliptical (at first, only 10 minutes at a time at the lowest level) and started taking classes at my fitness center (starting with beginner aerobics and a salsa dancing aerobics class). All of these were easy on my joints and I could work at my own pace. Two years later I still do these activities, but I have gotten a lot more fit now and also do kickboxing and step, plus 3 weight classes a week plus yoga here and there.

So I started with exercise that was easy on my joints and paced to what I could do, and gradually have worked up to more intense work.

I think the key is what someone else said, pick something you like to do, and try new things as you get in better shape. I also reccommend keeping notes on what you are doing - like what level the treadmill is, etc., how far you walked, and so on. It is encouraging to look back at it as time passes, plus it helps you stay focused on what's working and what's not (and also for questions like, what did I do that made my calves so sore? etc. - because I can't remember from one day to the next what I was doing at times. Sigh...)

I also reccomend getting a good pair of shoes, it's an investment worth making to be comfortable in your exercise. And try the library for exercise videos, etc., easy to sample an activity for free! There are also resources on the internet for exercise videos, I don't know much about this because I do all my work at the gym, but maybe someone else will be able to help here.

Also, this is really not going to make a difference in your exercise, but I treated myself to actual exercise clothing. And my son made me a couple of workout Tshirts with sayings on them, when I met certain goals. I even coordinated my sweatbands to my outfits. It sounds silly but it makes me feel athletic. And people have actually noticed the sweatband thing (in a nice way, I guess the ones who think it's nuts tactfully keep it to themselves, but anyway, I like it).

I'm drifting. Back to the subject. Most of all, I think your body will tell you what you can and cannot do, but also remember that if you can't do it now, later may be different! (I remember saying I would join the gym just for swimming, nothing else, no way, and now I think I've tried every class they give and all of the cardio machines. Each time I said I would never do such and such a class, next thing I knew I was in there. So...I now rule out nothing! I'll try anything once!)

Good luck!You have made a really good start. Congratulations on your progress so far.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I know what you mean by feeling like you don't have a lot of options at your size but you DO trust me. Don't worry about what's most effective just get moving! I would suggest just start out with walking though. As long as you're going fast enough to get your HR up then you're getting plenty of exercise.

Bike riding is also fairly easy at your size.

I actually started doing DVDs at about 280 after I had been walking for a few months. Turbo Jam, Step, Walk Away the Pounds... There are lots of beginner DVDs. (WalkAway is REALLY gentle for beginners)

Plus weight lifiting is possible at any size. The first Jari Love DVD is fairly good (Get Ripped).

Most importantly find something you like... but also give it time to get enjoyable because The first few months are always the hardest.

I could barely walk 2 miles at first at 302 and now I can run for an hour with only short 1 minute walk breaks.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 03-30-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote