Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #1  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Default Hello!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a quick hello, as I am now embarking on a weight loss adventure of my own. I have to admit to lurking:P a few forums but I decided to join and felt motivated by the forum posts. A little bit about me, I graduated college a coup. years ago and now am in my mid twenties just trying to get my feet on the ground. I used to be "chunky" and by that I meant 150 for years. *that is my goal weight now go figure* But about three years ago I ballooned... no, wait, exploded up to 230. I have a couple reasons to start losing weight, one is for health, the other is just to get the old me back. Sounds silly but being this size makes me not want to go out and to things as much as I used to

Either way won't blab your ears off, I am trying to get around 140-150, but before that I have a short term goal of 180.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

hi Gina -- welcome! Please scope out the various sites and jump in. I have found this site (just in the week or so since I joined) very helpful and motivating. What kind of plan do you have to get healthier?

I know just what you mean about "the old me" and feeling differently about getting out and doing things... Here's to a better future for all of us!
anita
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #3  
SkinnyGina

Thanks Anita!

Right now I am just incorporating as many fruits/veggies/beans as possible. I (And I can tell you adjusting to these foods has been tres pleasant). Also I am trying to stear away from to many starches. I I am not on a specific plan I am just tryting to shoot for 1200-1500 cals a day and am trying to incorporate exercise for about 20 minutes a day as well.

Are you on a specific plan? And Do you have any short term goals? I am trying to get around 180 by the time I go to Vegas though I think it may be more wishful thinking then positive. But hey nothing wrong with being optimistic!!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #4  

hey Gina -- when are you going to Vegas? As long as you're doing it a healthy way, maybe your "wishful" goal is possible
: )

I am following the Dr. Dean Ornish low-fat plan, which sounds similar to your "lots of veggies and fruit" plan. I walk my dog a lot (she is a waaay fabulous 80-pound bundle of love) and have re-started going to Curves three times a week. I just today bought some good people scales and food scales, and hope, as the end of the semester approaches, to be able to actually cook and freeze some meals ahead. My husband is a good cook and is supportive, but he's also very meat-tropic! So if I want to do vegetarian I kind of have to cook for myself. (Or, he will make a meat and side dishes and I just eat the sides, which works pretty well too.)

Hope you have a great weekend -- talk to you soon,
anita
Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #5  
SkinnyGina

That is what I am doing as well with the cooking. My roomie has been very open to having less meat and we both find the more meat we reduce the less we miss it. Have you tried any meat substitutes, IMHO most of them taste a little off but some actually are pretty good and can make meals more enjoyable. My roommate still will eat hotdogs (just not as often) so I will make a veggie one! Is Curves good? I hear mixed reviews, I heard it is fun but very low areobic. Then others say Curves works you out a lot!

Hope your having a great weekend and don't let your 80 pound angel get the best of you on your walks!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #6  

Hiya Ladies,

I LOVE Curves! I used to go to Exclusively Womens and would do my thing for an hour and walk out feeling like I did nothing and saw no results. Since joining Curves, after my half hour I feel completely worked out and satisfied. Plus it is only a half hour and it goes by very fast.

Plus I am just watching what I eat. Less meat but when I do eat meat I eat a lot of tuna or chicken. Lots of veggies and some fruit as well. So far I have lost about 17lbs in about 2 months give or take.

Edge2007
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #7  

I had read the Curves is not very good for people who have done a lot of sports or exercise in the past, so I wasn't sure I would like it (I have played basketball and volleyball and rugby in the past), BUT I really like it. It's very structures, so I can just sort of Zen-zone out and think about my muscles, being healthy -- you don't have to count reps or whatever. I like to go at times of day when it's not very busy, but that's not hard at my club. Also I like that you can get a travel card and work out anywhere when you're on vacation.
anita
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #8  
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Hey Gina! I used to go to Curves, but I'm an introvert socially and I just wanted to listen to the music, but Southern ladies, sweet as they can be, like to talk, and if you're the only one in the room, zenning out is hard. But it was nice, I just like exercising out here in the sticks better.

Some meatless substitutes I like are Gardenburgers and their riblets, Boca chik'n patties, and any burger crumbles.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #9  

I like burger crumbles too, and the spicy black bean veggie burgers, forget who makes them. The crumbles make good spaghetti sauce.
anita
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #10  
SkinnyGina

the Boca Chik'n patties are the best. Is talking a lot normal in Curves? I think it would be fun sometimes but definitly I am with you gaia I like to just blast my ipod and go for it.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #11  

I have belonged to two Curves and visited at two others, and only one was _really_ chatty. (Also they talked all the time about church and babies, which I didn't want to talk about while working out -- not that I have anything particularly against other people's children, I just don't need to hear about their chicken pox, potty training, etc.!)
anita
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #12  
SkinnyGina

I am with you there Anita, I sure would not want to hear about potty trianing details!
Closed Thread