General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Default Honestly, has this been a weight-loss or social board for you?

I have to admit, since I came here years ago (started with a different name which I grew to dislike and changed), I first lost about 45 lbs., gained most of it back ... maybe 38?

Lately, I've tried to lose weight again ... haven't succeeded but do use the Board for socializing. What about you? Have you really lost weight and KEPT IT OFF since coming here, or is this more a social thing for you now? (I've been here, on and off, nearly four years overall, I think, with the best of intentions to "lose again.")
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I didn't join this board until I reached maintenance, but I would have loved it during my weight loss. Although I do enjoy the social aspect and the people I have met - this is primarily a maintenance, accountability tool for me.

I like sharing my story, I love reading other people's stories. I like reading something and thinking "that's just like me!" I like reading something and thinking "wow, that wasn't my experience at all, we are all so different!" I like cheering people on, I like being cheered when something goes well, I like being comforted when something doesn't go well. I like it when I'm all angsty about something food related and someone gives me a clear, straight answer.

I love getting new recipes! And new song suggestions for working out. This place definitely helps keep me on track - I post my daily menus here, it's part of my personal accountability!

But mainly, I love this site because it's the only place where I can really talk about weight loss (both successes and struggles) with other people who GET IT and don't get tired of hearing about it
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #3  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
But mainly, I love this site because it's the only place where I can really talk about weight loss (both successes and struggles) with other people who GET IT and don't get tired of hearing about it

AGREE! Yeah its a board for weight loss support but also for socializing! Socializing with those they are facing the same day to day struggle as you are that can relate and understand! Do I socialize here? YES! Do I find support here for weight loss!? YES!!! They go hand in hand! Coming here every day to "socialize" helps me to keep on track and stay motivated on the weight loss!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I use the board almost entirely for weight loss purposes. That being said, I've made some great friends and done a LOT of socializing here while talking about weight loss. So I guess the board is both, but weight loss first, to me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #5  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I definitely see it as a weightloss tool first and foremost. I have always felt like I couldn't lose weight alone- I needed someone to do it with me. I used to try to start weightloss groups among my friends, but they always fizzled out after a few weeks, and therefore, so did I. There are THOUSANDS of people on this site, all working towards the same goal, so even though some people come and go, I always know there are people here that I can talk to, get support from, and offer support to. Because of this site, I have lost more weight than ever before, and I maintain my motivation. This site also made me realize the whole concept of "life change" as opposed to "diet." However, that's not to say I haven't met a ton of nice people on here that I enjoy talking to!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I joined to help me in my weight loss. I stay for the socialization and for the support to lose weight and maintain that loss. I really love the interaction and how we're all part of the club--whether we're newbies or part of the "been there, done that" club. We all have something in common and everyone is so supportive of each other. I like this board because everyone is nice--I belong to another couple of boards. One is a very supportive group but so very much varied (more men and teens). The other one I rarely frequent because I've found some really strange characters there. I've been "flamed" for my comments and I've seen some really, really rude things said there (although I have also gotten some help when I needed it).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I first joined years ago . . . but was only around for a little while. Came back the beginning of 2006 and have been here ever since. It is definitely a lot weight loss and a little socialization for me. Wouldn't want to be without the place for either of those reasons.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I joined a while back but have only been an active part of the boards for 3 months. I love both the diet support and the socializing. I have made wonderful friends and its nice to know your not alone . I find that if I skip one day im not as focused as I am on days i post and read.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #9  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I joined it years ago, lost 65lbs, then gained 25 back. I have returned again with a different user name because, like the original poster, I didnt like the one I had the first time. I felt this new one was more appropriate. So I do use it for socializing, but more so I come here for accountability and to stay on track.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I use the board for approximately 90% accountability and support on my weight loss journey.... and about 10% for socializing.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #11  
Addicted to potato salad!

It started off as a HUGE support for me with Sugar Busters, but now I mostly use if to talk about hockey ( ) and to check in with my Sugar Bustin Buds!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I were talking about this subject, not in regard to this site but about our TOPS group. We've been members for about 7 months, and there are a few members who lose and gain the same few pounds over and over again. I've seen this a lot over the years, but this is only my husband's second weight loss group (both with me). He was mystified as to why they would stay in the group (some of them for years).

I think it's wrong though to assume that those who are not losing are only "just" getting socializing done. Weight issues are complex, and it's very hard to tell what would have happened for these people if they weren't members of the group, maybe maintaining rather than losing is a big accomplishment for them, and without the group they would be gaining.

I know this is true of myself. I have been here during long, long times of stagnation (plateau would imply that I was doing all I could and still not losing), but while here I have never had huge relapses. If all I get here is prevention of huge relapsses, that in itself is a huge benefit.

I don't think that the socialization part can be seperated from the health/weight loss benefits. Even if no weight loss takes place, because the focus here is on weight loss, at the very least it gets a person thinking about weight loss - and contemplation is the first active step toward change.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-28-2008 at 01:49 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I don't even know if I can split a percentage number up to tell you why I come here. I'm here for both, frankly. I guess you could say I'm here for socialization involving weight loss... or... weight loss involving socialization.

There are days that I come here & read things and am happy to find inspiration and new ways of looking at things for my weight loss. There are days that I'm just looking to make sure people are doing okay in their lives, and if they're not I hope to find a way to tell them we're all here for them. Mostly it's a mix.

Hrm. Short answer: Both!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #14  
No description available.

Good question.

I have been a registered member here for almost 4 years. In that time, I have lost 30 pounds 3 times. I am now entering into virgin fat territory. I can't believe how much I have lost and regained.

But I have learned how to lost weight and I have learned how NOT to keep it off and also how to keep it off.

Having a healthy body in Western culture is very very difficult. It takes a lot of work and caution to not slide into the status quo of poor nutrition and a sedentary lifestyle. Changing culture takes a lot of work...even if it is only changing the culture of one's own life.

I have spent time here losing, gaining, and maintaining. I really believe this is a journey, one that will not be complete as long as I am alive. If I was just here to lose weight and then moved on, I don't think that I would have made a culture change in my life.

I agree with Kaplods that it is hard to separate the social aspect from the weight loss aspect. Successful weight loss and maintenance requires more than simple calorie deficit. It requires us to reshape our relationships with food and movement. I learn something every day on 3FC and much of that is from the social aspect. What does one's life look like when one incorporates weight lifting? How does a high protein nutrition plan look when it is implemented every day? How do other mothers juggle kid/work/exercise?

Separation of weight loss from the rest of our lives doesn't really work, in my opinion. We make hundreds of choices everyday about health and these choices are interwoven in family and socialization.

So, yes, there have been times in my tenure here where I have been gaining and I was here to socialize, but even during that time I was watching and learning to see what worked. Readiness to change cannot be underestimated and we all may not be in the same place. But that is ok. 3FC never judges, but always offers unwavering support and cheerleading.

So no matter where I am in on my journey, or anyone else, stick around. Post often. When you are ready, 3FC is here to lift your spirits and offer solid advice and encouragement. Cause this weight loss thing is about a lot more than calories in and calories out....it is about changing your life to make it work with your life....

Last edited by midwife; 03-28-2008 at 02:15 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Both, definitely. Sometimes more of one than the other ... and the other way around

I don't know where else we are privy to maintainers. There are innumerable places we can go, read, watch weight loss ... but lifelong slender fitness?? Who else teaches that?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote