Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Default Holy Yoga, Batman!!!

I'll try to condense the long story here: DH is a chiropractor that's built like a tight end... He's a typical muscle-man and inflexible as all get-out... Since he's had some back problems, he decided to start some Yoga.. I got a couple videos from the library, then had to return them. I found 10 of them at a local thrift store the other day for 80c apiece and bought them all for him. He's been working with them here and there, but not usually when I'm around. (Our schedules don't mesh very well)

This morning I decided to do one of the tapes (Yoga Magazine's Yoga for Beginners) and... HOLY MOLY!!!

I only made it through 20 minutes. My legs are quivering from exertion, and I'm in "decent" shape. I feel refreshed in the way you feel after a good workout, and I definitely feel less tension.

I'll be honest - I always thought Yoga was those people who wanted to say they worked out regularly but didn't really want to work HARD. I am duly chastised now.

One question - doing that side pose creating a bit of squishing of my side fat.. I am more flexible than my girth will allow in that pose. How do I modify? Or, do I just go as far as my girth will allow at this point and go on as I get thinner?

Anyone wanting a goooood muscle workout without a lot of bouncing should definitely try yoga.
FluffyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Glad you came around! I go to "hot" yoga classes when I have the $$ to spare -- done in a 98 degree room, and it is DEFINITELY a work out!! I have more muscle soreness after that than a gym workout, usually.

As for the modification, do you know the name of the pose?
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #3  
Heidelitos

S/C/G: 186/???/145

Height: 5'4

I don't know about the side pose, but I do know I'm hooked on yoga, too. I choose that class to go to because I thought it would be easy and a great way to get myself to the gym more often. Instead, it has motivated me to become stronger, more flexible, and less stressed! I do cardio too, but can't get enough yoga. I instantly bumped up my schedule from once a week to 3x a week. I'm now working on getting my arm muscles strong enough to actually hold me up and having a better sense of balance.
Heidelitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #4  

There is a great book called "Cool Yoga Tricks" by Miriam Austin that shows modifications of many common poses. Your library may have it. I've found it very helpful.

I hate tapes that are labeled "beginner" that are really advanced!

Hope your husband feels better soon.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #5  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

I have to agree with you fluffyk, I too thought yoga really wasn't going to be that difficult...then I did a 90 minute power yoga class. I was sooooooo wrong!!! The moving options drained me, 45 minutes of vinyasas...I was done. Heh, I'm definitely hooked now though. So much strength, power, and flexibility come from doing yoga...LOVE IT!!!
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote