Old 03-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Where do you eat your meals and snacks.

I know that eating in front of the TV is the wrong thing to do. Yet, I still do it. Why is it so, so hard to give up this habit? I eat most of my meals alone - a few dinners with DH. He loves to eat in front of the TV too.

I am grateful to still lose weight in spite of holding off on changing this. I don't eat in the car or standing in front of the fridge - but, it's that TV eating for my meals and snacks that has me.

I've tried from time to time - I actually feel "stressed" sitting alone at the table eating by myself. Isn't that silly?

Where do you eat your meals and snacks?
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I think the problem with eating in front of the TV, is that we are more prone to snack snack snack without noticing how many chips or cookies we have actually eaten.
I think if you are eating the right things, with portions under control, it's ok to eat in front of the TV on. Just don't let yourself eat out of control. Decide in advance what you are going to eat and stick to it.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #3  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I eat in front of the TV too. I agree with Beth as long as you are eating the right foods and portions in doesn't matter. Just make sure you aren't mindlessly eating which is easy to do in front of the TV.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think the concept is that you are more likely to eat MINDLESSLY in front of the tube, like Beth said.

Eating for me is enjoyable and relaxing. So therefore I often combine that with TV watching. Not mindlessly though. It's thought out and planned out.

I eat lunch by myself during the week. I'm just not going to sit at the table all by my lonesome. That would not be enjoyable for me. So, I eat at the computer - another big no - no.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2008 at 12:50 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I eat at the computer for breakfast, I know it is a no-no, but I am not that distracted from the food. Dinner I actually sit at the table, but we have the tv on in the living room (which we can see from the table). I have to have some noise on. DH chews so loud (with his mouth closed ) and I can't stand it, so we need background noise on.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #6  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I eat breakfast at the computer, lunch either at the table or in my car (when I'm at school or work), and dinner is at the table. When I'm at the table the TV is off and I'm having conversation with my Sweetie and possibly my daughter if she deems us worthy of attention.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #7  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

When I eat at home, I try to sit at the table and 'enjoy my meal'.... 7 times out of 10 I eat standing up and moving around the kitchen... Bad habit - i know...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I eat in front a tv. It is the only time I watch tv is when I'm eating dinner. I watch one tv show on DVD during dinner. If I didn't eat while watching tv, I'd never watch tv. That isn't a bad thing but you know?

Oh I also watch tv when exercising too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I eat dinner with the family at the dinner table, but all other meals and snacks are eaten at my computer or in front of the TV. Mindless eating is not a problem as my food is measured and planned for on my calorie count. No sitting in front of the computer/tv with a bag of M&M's.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I can't stomach food 1st thing in the a.m., so I eat as soon as I get into work, at my desk and usually in front of the computer checking emails LOL. Lunch 5 days a week around a family-style table with co-workers playing Trivial Pursuit and sharing lunches (which is SO fun!), and dinner most nights is at the dining table, I've always liked a well-set dinner table. I've really worked hard to slooooooow down and not just inhale my food and I've gotten a lot better (still needs work tho!). My 'snack' is kind of dessert I guess, where after cleaning up dinner dishes etc., I have a hot cup of tea and a desserty type thing -- that i will eat in front of the TV but I'm sure it's portioned out BEFORE i get there (otherwise.... "oh look the whole BAG is gone and didnt' taste any of it!")
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #11  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

We need a bigger table, LOL My kids take up the entire table so Dh and I eat in the living room which is just inches away from the kids really. We are usually watching TV.

Breakfast is either in the LR or at the computer, and Lunch is about the same, and dinner in the LR. Still I lose weight so I m not concerned too much with where I eat as much as what I eat.
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I usually drink breakfast on the drive to work, lunch is eaten at my desk (it's also premeasured, etc.) Snacks at work are eaten at my desk, and dinner is in front of the TV. Like the others though I measure out and get my portions and don't eat extra.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8

As long as you're watching the portions/calories (reason no. 1 not to eat in front of the tv) and you feel full (reason no. 2 being that if you're not aware of eating, you feel less full and more likely to eat), it's not a problem for you to eat in front of the tv if you enjoy that more.

I don't get home until 8 many nights, so I break the don't eat after whatever time it is. But I make sure I eat enough during the day so I'm not ravenous when I come home & I have on plan, easy to prepare meals handy for when I get home.

I think as long as you understand the reasoning behind the rules and do what's necessary to observe the spirit of the "law", the letter of the law isn't quite so important.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #14  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=Beverlyjoy;2103790]
I've tried from time to time - I actually feel "stressed" sitting alone at the table eating by myself. Isn't that silly?
[QUOTE]

No! It isn't silly! My DH has classes twice a week and on those evenings, I have tried to eat at the DR table - but my DR is so cold and harsh (tiled floor, I want to replace with a warmer feeling wood floor) and I DO NOT like sitting in there all alone. It depresses me to sit alone at the DR table. ~sigh~ Once we have kids - then it will be a different story!

But - I agree with everyone - as long as it isn't 'mindless' eating in front of the TV and you are losing weight then there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by SCraver; 03-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

I watched a program last night that warned against doing anything while eating. And the speaker had a point. Even with premeasured food, if I'm paying attention to what I eat, I often find that I'm full with less food than I've measured, and that leaves me with more calories for later when I want to eat again. Still, I can't just sit and eat without doing anything else. I always read the newspaper when I'm eating breakfast and am always working when I eat lunch. I just try to eat fairly slowly and be mindful of how full I'm feeling.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote