Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Jan. 2008-173/ticker/135

Height: 5'5''

Default Cottage Cheese

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make cottage cheese taste good? I can't stand the taste of it but I know its good to eat. Thanks!
skinny4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Cottage cheese =

Does ANYONE actually like cottage cheese?

Last edited by nineteen; 03-13-2008 at 02:28 PM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #3  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Sorry, I'm not very helpful..
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #4  

I am one of those crazy people who actually enjoys cottage cheese! But, it wasn't always that way. The way I started liking it was taking a cantaloupe or honey dew melon, cuttng it in half, gutting the seeds and then filling the hole with cottage cheese. So each time you spoon a piece of melon you get some cottage cheese too. The melon flavour and texture is stronger than that of the cottage cheese.

Maybe that will be helpful!

Edge2007
Edge2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

Add some fruit to it if you'd like, also you can add a SF sweetener to it. I have eaten it with salt and pepper as well. You can cook with it as a substitute for some other things, too. (Can't remember what off the top of my head)
FluffyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #6  
Meg

Here are some of my favorite ways to dress up cottage cheese.

"Butterfinger" Cottage Cheese

1 serving cottage cheese
1/4 packet dry SF chocolate instant pudding mix (leave it powdered)
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

Stir all three ingredients together.

Lemon or Lime Cheesecake

2 boxes of lemon or lime sugar free Jell-O (I’ve also used cherry and strawberry)
1 3/4 cups of boiling water
2 cups cottage cheese (I use a 24 oz container of Light & Lively)
2 tablespoons of sugar free cheesecake pudding mix (about ½ packet)

I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup for the first step.

Boil water. Dissolve Jell-O into boiling water. Add ice to make about 3 ½ cups of liquid.

Pour mixture into a blender container. Add cottage cheese and pudding mix. Blend until mixture is completely smooth. Pour into individual dishes and refrigerate until set.

Baked Pumpkin Custard

1 large can pure pumpkin (I think it's 29 oz)
1 1/2 cups low or nonfat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1 1/2 cups Eggbeaters
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Process all in the food processor until well-mixed and smooth. Spray six custard cups with PAM. Divide mixture equally in cups. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Nutrition Info per serving

110 calories
1 g fat
12 g carbs
13 g protein
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Why force yourself to eat something you don't like? What is it about cottage cheese that you can't get from any other (yummier) food? IMO, choking down foods you don't really like is a great way to learn to resent your new way of eating, get frustrated, and give up

I actually AVOID cottage cheese because it's quite high in sodium, and the ones with low sodium or no salt added taste like paste to me If you're looking for a good low-fat source of protein, maybe try some yogurt or something.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #8  
I will succeed!!!

S/C/G: 277/270/180

Oh wow, I LOVE cottage cheese, but the recipes Butterfinger and the Custard sound YUMMY!!! Thanks for the recipes Meg :: (licking the bowl, lol) ::
Patti1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

I like cottage cheese so I don't have a problem eating it. I like it on top of a baked potato or cooked in scrambled eggs and other weird ways. But I have to agree with Jilly, why force yourself to eat something you don't like? Find an alternative that you enjoy.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Count me in as a cottage cheese lover! I eat it plain or with pineapple, but I do admit to rationing it due to the sodium content. I agree with Jill that if you don't like it, you shouldn't force yourself to eat it just because you've heard it is good for you. There are a lot of foods (well, a few anyway) that I detest and you won't EVER find me eating them!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

I loooooooooove all forms of cheese. I eat 2% cottage cheese on top of a bagel instead of cream cheese, because it's lower in fat. I don't like FF cottage cheese, though... It's one of those cheeses that needs some fat.

I don't force myself to eat foods that I dislike, though. (I might give a food a few tries before saying "no" completely.) Grapefruit, for example, was mentioned in another thread. Now, there are plenty of wonderful things that grapefruit has going for it from a nutritional standpoint, but that doesn't mean I can't get them from other sources. (I do not like grapefruit. ) Why bother torturing myself with something that I dread doing?

What is it about cottage cheese that you find so appealing nutrition-wise? I bet people can suggest some alternatives that your tastebuds would agree to.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #12  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I'm indifferent towards cottage cheese, neither hating or loving it ~ I usually mix it with a little fruit preserve or a drizzle of honey for extra flavor. But Meg's recipes sounds yummy!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #13  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

u mean there are actually people in the world who don't like cottage cheese???

sorry i couldnt be more helpful, i love cottage cheese with salt n pepper, one of my favorites!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #14  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

My grandma always put salad dressing on hers, so I do too. Just a tablespoon of a low-cal french or even Newman's Own Lighten Up Viniagrette (sp?) can really zip up a 1/2 cup of 2% for me.
I agree you shouldn't eat stuff you don't like, but I applaud you for looking for different ways to try it that you might like. I'm trying to do the same with eggplant.
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #15  

I couldn't bring myself to buy cottage cheese for years because I associated with the dreaded "diets". Now I keep a container of non-fat in my fridge all the time. I like it in savory applications versus sweet ones. Any hot sauce will liven it up. I like it to be closer to room temperature. I also spoon some into hot soups like tomato or butternut squash. It takes on a more "cheesy" texture- you actually see strings. I also fold it into sauteed spinach and mushrooms along with a wedge of Laughing Cow lite- almost like a creamed spinach dish. But in the end, I agree with other posters that if it is yucky to you there are tons of other protein and dairy options out there.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote