Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Any of those ab machines really work?

I've seen ab wheels, 6 second abs, and etc. They look tempting to me because I can't do crunches on the floor (had a spine fusion when I was 14 and they are either impossible or uncomfortable). Anyone know if any of them actually work?

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 03-06-2008 at 12:06 PM.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

It is my understanding (via my physical therapist) that none of them work any better than floor work per se. But, I have significant osteo of the spine and cannot do that. She has me do crunches on an exercise ball I got at walmart and I get a pretty good workout without wiping out my neck and back. She makes me do crunches for my sciatica and low back pain (if your abs are strong, it relieves pressure from the back, or so the theory goes). I just know it works for me. If you've had back surgery, you would need to get your doctors clearance to do it. You may waant to talk to a PT as well.
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 166/163/120

Height: 5'3"

Default hmm... now that you mention it

I'm the same way-- i.e. have had serious back trouble in the past, and crunches are uncomfortable. Also, I've tried the weight machine where you pull down in a crunch motion from over your head. Those bother me too.

I have had mild succes with crunches on the ball. I am going to start back with that. However, one sleepless night at about 4am, I saw this infommercial on an 'ab rocker' that looked like it might be just the thing. Has anyone tried this?
wistfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

sometimes those things get into the stores....i keep waiting to see too.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

According to consumer reports, nope. Best ab thing you can buy is a ball.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/163/120

Height: 5'3"

"According to consumer reports, nope. Best ab thing you can buy is a ball."

Nuff said. I had expected as much, and I usually have good luck when I trust consumer reports. Plus, I already know that the ball is great with respect to my back.
Exercise ball, here i come!

Thanks for the info. Nelie!!

Last edited by wistfulgirl; 06-14-2008 at 06:42 AM.
wistfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #7  

Hip Hop Abs would be good also. You can get that free on VeohTV!
Applez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I also have lower back problems and can't do crunches (heck I can't even sleep comfortably) on a floor or mat.

I have been using the abdominal machine at the gym I go to (military gym) and have noticed a tightening of my abdominal muscles. This is the kind where you sit, knees bent, and push the bar directly out in front, then lean back and forward against the weight your arms are holding out. However, I overdid it yesterday and pulled a muscle in my upper back, causing extreme pain over my left shoulderblade near my spine. Still dealing with the pain from that - although it is manageable today.

I won't be using the machine again for a while, will instead focus on cardio workouts until I've lost a little more fat and gained a little more muscle tone.

I found this website for ab exercises including the ball, which is something I think I might get after my back heals up some.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #9  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I bought an AbCoaster a few months ago and have gotten pretty serious on it the past 2 months (400 crunches, 5 days a week)... and since I have, I've noticed some serious core strengthening, as well as have lost a few inches. Haven't lost any weight... but have lost inches. I love it.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #10  

Hi!

Has anybody used the ab circle pro? I've seen the infomercials and it looks like it would be a good workout. I have thunder thighs, so what I thought was great about the machine was the thigh exercises you could do. I've read reviews on the internet, and most complain that the construction is flimsy and that the knee pads are hard.

Thanks,
Laura Orlowski
LauraV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #11  

i like the simple wheel and handles on the side. Very cheap too
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #12  

Cool it doesn't amek sense to buy them.

I have heard and have used personally a simple, sensible system of moving all sorts of way that get your abs. Doing isolating gimmicks just are that...they look like they would work, you are unsure and then you're out money again...Has anyone ever tried bodyweight, calesthentics, or functional fitness?
my5alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I bought an ab roller years ago and when I used it regularly it really worked. I have recently started using it again and again, it is working. I could do situps without it but my neck and upper back tend to be in a lot of pain when I do them on my own but with the ab roller i have no issues so I say yes, they work if you use them regularly.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote