General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #1  

Default Horse Lovers?

I've been around horses for a lot of my life, but this is a new one for me. My neighbor has had two horses for the past 4 years (both were older horses). On Monday she had to have one put down. It was very heartbreaking, but what's really getting to me is watching her other horse. He's looking for his buddy, and it's so sad. I go out and give him treats a couple of times a day, and he's happy for them, but as soon as I run out, he's back to looking for her.

Does anyone know how long this will last? I'm guessing he's just looking for her (they were together at least 10 years), or is he in mourning? I know people tend to "humanize" animals, so to me it looks like he's sad, but I don't know.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #2  
for your health!

Height: 5'1"

a few months ago one of my two horses passed away. they lived together at my mom's house for over ten years. the living horse did mourn for awhile. he was also getting out of the fence, which he had never tried to do before. it drove my mom crazy until she had it fixed.
recently, it seems like his mood has gotten better. my mom also spoils him with carrots and apples every day, so treats do help!
but horses do enjoy company - we have considered getting a miniature horse or something, but our horse is really old himself, so we're not really sure what to do.
punchthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  

I'm sorry you lost your horse. It's so hard, isn't it? These aren't even my horses, but I'm very attached to them.

Between me and his owners, he'll get plenty of spoiling. I guess it just takes time.

I know horses like to be with other animals, but I'm pretty sure my neighbors aren't planning on getting another one. I know they were pretty stretched with the two horses, what with the cost of feed going so high and all.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote