General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #1  

Default Snowed in and digging out

So, we got about 6 to 7 inches of snow yesterday afternoon as I slept. My work called and said the factory was closed my shift because they were snowed in too. As usual, I get a bit depressed on snow days because I get homesick for California and all this white stuff just freaks me out. I lack the motivation to get on my elliptical.

Someone please tell me that shoveling a walkway, digging out two cars, and clearing the parking area to the road is good exercise! We're talking many several square feet of six inch snow here. I'm exhausted and cold. Taking a break now to thaw my feet out (shoes are off and getting warmed on the space heater).

I hate winter. BE OVER NOW DAMMIT!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Shovelling can be a great cardio workout -- with some upper body work thrown in!! When I do major shovelling, I actually count it as part of my daily workout!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #3  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Yes, I can most definitely assure you, shovelling is exercise. I, personally, am about to get lots of it as here in the Great White North, we are being snowed under yet again...we awoke to several inches of snow and ice pellets, and are expecting several more today.

As if that wasn't enough, there is apparently yet another system building over the Gulf of Mexico that is expected to drop more of the white not-always-fluffy stuff on us on Saturday. I recently read that there is a theory that these systems are the result of fossil fuels being burned by the folks in the southern states and that this is why they often arrive here mid-week and later.

Now, I'm no expert, but just in case this theory is correct... This is to all those folks in Texas Louisiana and Mississippi: (and forgive me if my geography is a bit off) Please, for the love of Pete, walk, run, ride your bike, ride your horse if you have to! We're tired of shovelling! ;-)

Tealeaf, I can't relate to your California-longing, having always lived where snow is the predominant feature of winter. I can tell you that my spouse and I bought snowshoes this winter, and that it has changed our perspective on snow entirely. Now, a good snowfall is reason to celebrate, as a trek through the woods will reveal yet another lovely virgin landscape.

Then again, there's always a glass of wine and a good book!
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I having a hard time keeping my eyes open. For once, the blinking weather channel was right and we did get around 20 cm of snow (if not more). I was out shoveling at 6:50. When I finished and went back to the back door, I hear what must have been the snow plough. Yeap - that means about a foot high wall of snow and ice was just pushed into my driveway that I painstakingly cleared. So back to shoveling. As I was done and clearing the patio (I also have to shovel for my canine princesses) the snowplough came yet AGAIN. So back in the street and more shoveling. By the time I got home and showered, it was 8:41. So I estimate that I was shoveling for an hour and a half this morning. When I get home from work, there will be more work out because all I did was the driveway, side of the house and patio. The sidewalk is still waiting for me.
I did not sleep that great last night and I am having a really hard time to stay awake. ..... And I ate pizza for lunch.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote