Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.4/233.1/174.4

Height: 5 ft 11 inch

Arrow CLA-XTRA Anyone heard about it??

Hey I was thinking of taking these suplements called CLA-XTRA to help during my weight loss...does anyone have information on this, like does it work or even help a little?? I would love to hear your info on this, so I dont go out and waste money. Thank you
Didaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #2  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

I have heard about it, but I would do more research.
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

CLA-XTRA appears to be (based on rough translation...all the sites are in Spanish) congugated linoleic acids (CLA) combined with green tea extracts.

CLA and Weight Loss - basically, the is an unknown. Two studies have shown that taking CLAs for 6 months may have some net effect on weight loss. The effect shown, though, was really small in both studies (about 3 lbs over 6 months). A different study showed no difference between CLA supplements and a placebo. Researchers are optimistic about CLA as a weight loss supplement, but a lot more research is needed before it can be recommended. In addition, the study participants in one study taking the CLA had some negative changes in terms of cardiovascular health, including higher cholesterol and blood sugar values.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060...bate-continues

The other ingredient appears to be Green Tea Extract. This is another ingredient that has shown some promise in terms of weight loss, but needs further study and has, in general, shown only modest results.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050...tea-fights-fat

So there are some promising ingredients there, in that they have been shown to have a very small benefit in studies. That being said, though, there is ALWAYS a question with any supplement of quality/bioavailability/ concentration/dosage of ingredients. Even if 600 mg of green tea extract was shown to increase weight loss in a study, a pill with 50 mg probably won't have the same effect.
Definitely more research is in order.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267.4/233.1/174.4

Height: 5 ft 11 inch

Thanks for the information
Didaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I did well when I was taking both CLA (tonalin, super tone? something like that) and L-Carnitine. However, it got expensive & I feel I would've gotten the same results from working out harder.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote