Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default When you don't meet your goal...

When you don't meet your goal... I was warned on this site when I wanted to lose SO MUCH by my birthday, today. The BIG ONE.

I should be proud, I lost 6 lbs in a month or so after revving it up. I have 5 lbs more to go to meet my original goal from last fall.

I've learned so much about nutrition, I'm more careful about what I buy and eat - that's been my journey. I've lost before just to gain it back because of a fad diet, this time at least I believe it's for life.

Even on my week long trip for business last week I didn't pig out, worked out, and modified my lifestyle compared to the good old days when I ate for comfort and when emotionally or physically tired.

So if the pounds aren't quite there, perhaps this is better... to gradually lose, and while doing so to learn about life long habits and health.

No I don't like the blob on m stomach but I have a plan for that, and my flabby arms. I AM going to become an athlete again, I love my new Gabby Reece dvds, as I'm a former volleyball player like her.

Of course I'll lose the next 5 lbs if I keep it up - watching calories, eating clean and having plans for travel too. Plus cardio, weights and just more movement.

Just wish I could have met my goal TODAY. Perhaps the last 10 is the hardest to lose - but it's not just the last 10 lbs is it? It's when you lose weight and you are a skinnier version of yourself, without the toning and muscle.

I'm going to go for buff, for toned this time around, not just skinny fat as I was in my 20s. I love the look of muscle that's fashionable with celebrities like Madonna. There's many role models out there, those fit in their 40s and 50s.

Ok, it's true I turn 40 today, imagine that? One book said at 40 you either go downhill or up, it's a turning point for health/nutrition. I'm not afraid of 40 like I was, I mean it's here TODAY, what I can do other then be positive, and make the next 40 years BETTER and BETTER.

No life isn't perfect, it's not the house on the hill, the 2.5 kids, the dog, the white fence for me, it's been much, much harder. Is it through hard times that we grow? We can sit back, get overweight, be depressed or the ALTERNATIVE that I chose, pulling myself out of depression from the hard knocks life gave me, losing weight, getting more fit...

THIS is the way to go... up hill. As high as one can go. Perhaps I'm only half way up the hill of health, fitness and nutrition, the more I learn the more I realize I knew nothing and was so hard on my body. But at least I can see the top, last year I couldn't. I was down.

Up is the best. Up with health, up with moods, trudging along daily to meet those goals. Perhaps without strict time frames as the body seems to do what it needs to do despite our best efforts!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey - happy birthday!!! Congrats on losing 6 lbs and developing some healthy goals for your life. You are doing GREAT!

As far as the last 10 lbs taking the longest - it took me 7 months to lose the first 55 lbs and then NINE MORE MONTHS to lose the last 13 lbs.

Hope you have a great day and do something special to celebrate.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #3  

I just got on the scale... wait a minute! I lost 1.5 lbs on my trip last week. Usually I pig out while traveling for business, this time I packed a cooler and had a list of EXACTLY what I could eat - down the the thin crust at Pizza Hut which was my "treat" one day.

So I'm 2 lbs from my "adjusted" goal that I set a month or so ago, and 5-8 lbs from where I need to be, then another 5 lbs from the more ideal weight...

I can't believe the scale. I hadn't weighed myself in a week!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Happy Birthday!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

maybe I should only weigh once a week, but I'm afraid I will fall of track if I don't see those numbers. I LOVE looking at the scale 10 pounds down than where it was a month ago.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #6  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

You've come a long way!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Good Job and Happy Birthday!!!!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #8  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Happy birthday! you should be so proud to have made the life change you did. Enjoy your special day and be proud of yourself!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

HAPPY 40th, HORSEY!

Look how far you've come!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Happy Birthday Horsey!

Seems like you've made the decision to make it an "uphill" change! Wonderful!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #11  
Mel

Happy Birthday, Horsey

You are giving yourself a great birthday present- a new body and a new attitude for life.

May it be all uphill for you! (Forty is young!)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Wow, look at you! You truly have given yourself a phenomenal gift. Your 40's (and beyond!) are going to be SENSATIONAL! Congrats.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #13  

Yes my 40s on are going to be much BETTER as a thin fit person.... I am quite proud. My boy found pics of me from last summer, I was about 180 and FAT, now I'm about 163 and I'm fitting better in clothes and I have so much ENERGY. I'm an older mom, sometimes I think I have more energy these days then the young mom's at the playgrounds. This eating clean and exercising really pays off. I just CAN'T BELIEVE I lost a lb traveling last week, I plotted it out, had a plan, didn't completely stick with it - but I lost! I think I always gained weight on comfort food while driving long days for business. This time I had a new ATTITUDE as well. I thought 40 would be horrible, I dreaded it, and here it is, TODAY. And by the way, I'm wearing SKINNY JEANS, not really skinny jeans, but certainly I couldn't have worn these a year ago! And I'm not depressed, I'm not sad, THAT'S a downward spiral, what I was on... I'm now a positive person most of the time, yes some things get me down BUT I don't go pig out, drink, and sit around being sad anymore with an extra large pizza! I can't even believe what I was doing to myself. THIS is better.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #14  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Ahem, a happy birthday poem to horsey:

Everyone gets older
It's a scientific fact
But not everyone gets old
And that requires quite a knack
Your frame of mind determines
Your outlook on all the rest
Keep life in perspective
And just try your very best!

FWIW, in ten years 40 will look young. Everything is relative.

Congrats on how far you've come already.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #15  

Thank you for the poem, I have a role model above all, my great aunt that lived to be 98, she was COOL. You want to talk about those who don't get old, it was HER. I found a book while hanging out with my aunt at our family cabin one year - about those who live to be 100 and why. It's not about being a complete health nut, it's about MODERATION... my aunt was like THAT. Ate everything in moderation. MOST OF IT WAS IN HER HEAD.... she was positive, even when I was 20 something and single, griping about boyfriends, she would say there's just as many nice women as men. If I'd talk about anything negative, she'd change the conversation to something positive. I read the book, How to Hepburn, you know, Katherine, like my Aunt, the great... it's called DENIAL perhaps. You live a long happy life by saying NO to what COULD make you insane, what could make you depressed (ie my alcoholic ex). How about denial, living in the present, trying to make the most of life. Defying age like my aunt did. In her 80s she hung out with me in my 20s and I thought she was more exciting then most 20 somethings. It's all about outlook, ok, let's throw in some diet and fitness too... but mostly I think it's in the head don't you? I made IT, to my big 40, my goal wasn't met, and you know what, life goes on... I was close, I"m more fit, I'm wearing skinny jeans and I'm saying HELLO to LIFE again after a miserable marriage to an alcoholic. YES.... this is very, very cool. If only at 80 something I can come CLOSE to my great aunt,, to live life BIG. Big and thin and ignorant of the jerks and negativity of the world. YES