General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #1  

Default Need suggestions for chemo patient

We are going to visit my husband's aunt at the hospital today, and she is starting chemo today. I have never had any experience with people going through chemo, and we want to bring her something to do while she is in the hospital, but didn't know what kind of effect chemo has on a person. She is a really crafty person, and I thought I could get her some paint by number books, or something to that effect but didn't know if the chemo would affect her ability to that or not? Anybody have any suggestions?
Sister of the groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Chemo affects different people different ways. Even the same person can have a different response from one treatment to the next. Some people become tired, fatigued, nauseated or may have no problems at all. Maybe take her 2 different things, like the crafty thing and then maybe a magazine or book. This way she has options and even if she doesn't feel like it while being hospitalized she can still enjoy these things at a later time.
Best wishes for your aunt's health.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #3  
The Princess

S/C/G: 225/206/150

Height: 5' 7"

My mom's been through chemo--more than two years for ovarian cancer. She used to take her crocheting and knitting bag along with her to the cancer center. Most of the time, she'd end up sleeping from the Benedryl they gave her, but if she was awake, she'd just sit and chat with all the other ladies that were there. She made some really great friends. Maybe ask your aunt if you could bring her something special to keep her mind occupied. I'm sure she'll be able to give you some suggestions.

Last edited by Dorys Girl; 03-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Dorys Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #4  

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to call her to find out when she'll be in her room anyway, so maybe I'll ask her what she would like.
Sister of the groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

My mom generally slept through her chemo treatments. The Benedryl really knocked her out. Mostly she enjoyed company, someone to chat with and occasionaly soemthing light to read. Each chemo bed at the hospital where she got her treatment had a TV and DVD player so occasionally she like to watch movies.

Hope your aunt is doing well.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

When my Mom was going through chemo, my brother and I would take turns going with her to keep her company. We'd typically chat, watch movies, read, do crossword puzzles, or do whatever just to make the time fly by.

It's kind of like visiting on a lazy Sunday, except for how awful what's really going on is.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #7  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

These are great suggestions, but never take plants or outside food as one nurse told my friend once.
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote