Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Default March Nursing Mommies

I thought I'd start the thread for March to make it easier for new "nursers" to find us!
A few follow-ups - I think oatmeal REALLY helps my supply - and Mother's Milk Tea. Esp if I drink a big cup of it at bedtime. It's also relaxing, almost like chamomile.
Dollypie had asked what healthy snacks we like to munch on -
I am very big on protein these days, really helps me feel satisfied. And I'm always looking for enough fiber so these are things I'm munching on lately -
Cheese sticks
Hard boiled eggs
Celery with PB (just a little pb)
carrots - of course
All-Bran Garlic & Herb crackers (these are AWESOME)
Little yogurt cups - the new FiberOne one is great - the WW ones are good too
100-cal pack popcorn
Sugar-free gum
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Thanks for starting March.. I guess it IS March already, eh?

I like oatmeal too.. so I think it is pretty neat that it is good for milk supply. I sprinkle ground up flaxseed to boost fiber and nutrient, (not that it isn't good on its own merits, but gotta maximize that fiber, ya know)

I am trying to be mindful of drinking enough fluids to keep a good supply. I get tired of water sometimes so I will try to mix it up by doing 1/2 juice and 1/2 water or crystal light with antioxidents single serving pouch (watered down). I don't really like to drink a lot of artificially sweetened drinks but I feel that the benefit of drinking a lot of fluids outweighs the minimal risk, for me personally.

For snacks I like .. popcorn, wheat pita bread with nut butter, apple slices, grapes, high fiber yogurt, (with flaxseed sprinkled in), string cheese, and sometimes leftovers. I am trying to focus on portion control as well as sticking to a schedule of 5-6 small snack sized meals as much as possible. I notice it is less likely that I will overeat or make bad food choices if I do this.
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Those All Bran crackers are so good! I don't even buy them because I'm so tempted to eat the whole box. Same goes for Wheat Thins and Triscuits.

My favorite snack lately is Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb with rice crackers. For some reason the rice crackers don't make me turn into a cravomonster.

We just passed our 21 month nursing "anniversary"! So, Avery is officially my longest nurser.

Glad the oatmeal tip helped out.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

With my first baby, I drank a 20 oz. bottled water every time I nursed. Now, I haul around a 32 oz. Rubbermaid Chug bottle and drink it continually. I've never had an issue with supply. I was concerned that my supply would be hurt when I started dieting, but, with probably 40 milk popsicles (hey, 3FC thinks I misspelled that!) in the freezer, I could risk going low for a bit, then pick back up if I needed to. I'm averaging around 1700 calories now.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #5  

Default Can I join your thread?

Hi,

I gave birth to my son in January and would like to get back on the diet "wagon". I was hoping to be able to follow a 1500 calorie a day regime but want to do what is in the best interest of my baby. Have you all found any good guidelines on how to approach weight loss while breastfeeding?

Along with diet support I am also looking for breastfeeding support since we have had a bit of a bumpy start been for both me and the baby. My son will be 8 weeks tomorrow and still don't have all the kinks out. I think my number one problem is over-production/over active letdown. If anyone has had similar problems I would love to hear how you handled it.

Thanks!
Nilla
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Nilla and welcome! Do you have a pump? If you're milk lets down quickly, it can be hard for the young 'uns to keep up, so sometimes pumping for just a couple minutes can even out your supply. Just make sure to feed him what you pumped, because that good foremilk is a perfect part of their diet!

I've always heard not to go low on calories while you're nursing. I had good luck losing baby weight by incorporating exercise and just making healthy food choices.

Good luck!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Hyperactive Letdown

NillaWafer, I thought I had hyperactive letdown with my first, too. But, it turned out that I just wasn't experienced enough to tell when she was tired verses hungry. She'd cry when she got milk because she just wanted to suck and go to sleep. After much frustration, I learned to stop trying to nurse her at those times and put her to sleep. I found the book The Happiest Baby On The Block to be phenomenal for putting her to sleep. Her colic ended the day I read that book. It is not one of those mean let-me-cry-it-out books, but teaches you how to effectively soothe your baby.

If you really do have hyperactive letdown, consider Medela nipple shields (http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...eeding-devices). My local BabiesRUs carries two different sizes. They're supposed to help with the problem as the extra space captures the forceful initial milk and baby only gets what he can out of the holes in the shield. Another tip I received was to express an ounce or so before you nurse to take the pressure down. But, this means baby would get less foremilk and more hindmilk which can have its own problems. I do like the idea of trying to pump a little now and again so you can slowly build up a supply. Then, you can leave DH at home without stressing that you have to be back to nurse.

Last edited by LessEveryDay; 03-04-2008 at 11:04 AM.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #8  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I've heard about forceful let-down and oversupply but never had it. I have read that www.kellymom.com has some really good info on it.
I am always fighting to keep my supply up! 8 months down though!
Congrats on your son, NillaWafer!
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Has anyone else here heard of or followed the plan in the book Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding?
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #10  

Default Thanks for the tips

I have done a lot of reading up on "overactive letdown" and have tried most of, if not all, of the things recommended. I prop my son so he is almost sitting straight up and then I recline back, I have pumped a little bit prior to nursing. Last week the doctor told me I was feeding him too often so I switched to every three hours and it took about 5 days for my production to adjust (somewhat) to the change. I still become engorged between feedings, just not as much. The last couple of days I have tried letting him eat a minute until my letdown starts and then pulling him off, hand expressing a little bit,which isn't hard since it is shooting out everywhere and then putting him back on.

I ordered the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book. My son has a very fussy time at night and it seems that most people find this book to be very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation.

As far as dieting goes, I think I just need to really watch my calorie intake and track everything. I have been back to exercising the last couple of weeks and walk a minimum of 5 miles a day most days of the week. I wish the exercise alone was enough to take the weight off.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

NillaWafer-

LaLeche League and most nursing resources recommend not going below 1700-1800 calories per day while you are nursing, especially if your baby is only a few months old and not eating any, or much of, solid foods.

If your baby is nursing solely, with no supplementing, etc. then you are using up 400-500 calories a day just nursing. If you ate 1800 calories a day, it would be equivalent to someone NOT nursing eatiing 1300-1400 calories a day.

Dip lower than that, and it can affect your supply, and your health. (Because many nutrients would be going to the baby, leaving you with a deficiency.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone.
Just found the new thread. I am actually nursing more now than before. My baby is now 11 months and seems to want to nurse more!! Well i have a good supply so it's working out okay but i have been hungrier I guess it must be connected to that!!

Last edited by 2beautiful2Bfat; 03-07-2008 at 11:38 AM.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #13  

Default Shooting for 1800

Thanks for the information Aphil. I think I am going to count my calories and shoot for 1800. I will do this for awhile and see if I start to drop some pounds and if my milk supply is affected.

Now the hard part begins, keeping all the extra food out of my mouth! Ever since I got pregnant with this child I have had an incredibly sweet tooth which I don't normally have. Even though it has been two months since I delivered him I am still craving sweets, mostly chocolate. I think I am going to use the trick that "lesseveryday" uses and drink a very large glass of water every time i am sitting down to nurse.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

The past 2 days mybreasts have been very tender. I am not that close to TOM could there be another reason?
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #15  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

New and a Nursing mom wanting to lose weight.

I am the mother to 7 kids and my youngest is 6 months old now and still nursing. {another huge long story and struggle in and of itself}

So hi and I hope to find support and help during my journey.

Thanks~
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote