General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Frivolity for All

We did this in the featherweights forum and it was fun. So I thought I'd post it here ... for more fun!

... here's a thread to add a little levity to the dark days of late winter.

1. Care to tell us your real first name?

2. Give us one tip about healthier eating.

3. Give us one tip about increasing activity.

4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss?

5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more.

6. One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have.

7. Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum?

8. How many times per week do you read in the Goal! threads?

9. Are you guilty of not recognising your own acomplishments?

10. Something about you that not many people know.

Cut and paste and add your answers ... if you'd like.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #2  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hmm alrighty then,

My real first name is Yasmine
Believe that your body deserves the best of good nutritious food.
You can increase activity in loads of different ways. even if its just as simple as getting up to change the channel on the tv instead of using the remote.
4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss?
I am no where near goal, but I'm still fighting the good fight.
5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more.
Ummm, I think I have but I can't remember which one it was... woops sorry.
I have some super sensitive food scales that I just love!!
Nope.
Maybe once a fortnight
Incredibly so.
Although I have a hard exterior, inside I'm all soft and gooey and quite sensitive.... I'm quite like a Magnum (not the gun by the way)

Last edited by seranab; 03-02-2008 at 09:09 AM.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Jen
It's amazing what you can put spinach in. Throw some in your smoothies to get a serving of vegetables.
One of my absolutle favorite rules is, if you just aren't feeling like working out, put your workout clothes on. Then put your tennis shoes on. Then go to the gym (or outside, or start the tape...). Then, if after 10 minutes you just can't, then you can quit. I think I only have once or twice.
4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss? I have been losing or maintaining since March of 2004. I'm battling those STUBBORN 10 pounds.
5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more. Upon the reccomendation of the girls in the vegetarian section, I bought Eat To Live and The China Study- both really had an impact on my way of thinking.
6. One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have.I really need a pedometer. I just haven't gotten one yet.
7. Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum?Yes, it keeps me sane. And I occassionally post.
8. How many times per week do you read in the Goal! threads?Usually when a new one pops up.
9. Are you guilty of not recognising your own acomplishments?We are our own worst enemies at times. I still struggle with body image issues.
My grocery shopping involves 3 or 4 stores and I'm addicted to tea. And I'm REALLY behind on wedding stuff. And I'm a hippy inside

Last edited by junebug41; 03-02-2008 at 02:29 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #4  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

1. Care to tell us your real first name? Karla

2. Give us one tip about healthier eating. Surround yourself with healthy options. Keep healthy foods at home and take them to work. Plan ahead.

3. Give us one tip about increasing activity. For those of us who have a lot to lose, start moving, even if you can only do a few minutes. Then increase gradually. Walking is safe and healthy and free.

4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss? I have a lot to lose.

5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more. I purchased my Omron HJ-112 pedometer based upon recommendations here at 3FC.

6. One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have. I have a good treadmill and now a good pedometer. When we move to our new home in June (hopefully it will be done then), we have a community center with full exercise equipment, indoor & outdoor pools, tennis courts & an indoor track. I can't wait to get to use those ammenities.

7. Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum? No

8. How many times per week do you read in the Goal! threads? Maybe once a month. It is inspiring.

9. Are you guilty of not recognising your own acomplishments? I am becoming better at looking for NSV's.

10. Something about you that not many people know. I love to dance. My DH gave us Arthur Murray dance lessons for Christmas at my request. We have not started yet, first because I hurt my back in January--all better now, then his work has occupied ALL of his time for the past month. Hopefully we will start next week.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Char

Just do it!

Park farther from all doors. Pretty soon you get in the habit and you get in daily exercise without even trying.

Been almost at goal for awhile now. LOL

No. I read sci fi. Can't get into other types of books.

I would LOVE to have a really good treadmill. One of these days. ::sigh::

No. I quickly browse 3 forums: General, Support & Exercise. I barely have time for those.

I don't.

Not me. I actually thrive on them.

I cry easily at sad movies. I just wipe it away and hide it quickly.

Last edited by almostheaven; 03-02-2008 at 04:12 PM.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

~Rebecca, I go by Becky or Becca, all depends on who's talking to me

~I carry something healthy with me at all times, whether it be trail mix or a granola bar or whatever in case I get hungry. I have a tote bag that I take with me to work and make sure those items are in there so I can have a snack before lunch. I also have stuff in my car and everything that way I won't get to the point that I just stop somewhere and pick up junk food. It really helps.

~Find something you love. For me, it's doing silly random stuff like dancing or doing squats while watching TV. I do this all throughout the day and while it may not be conventional it works for me.

Nope, 40 lbs to go.

No, I have avoided books b/c other people advised against them.

I'd like to have one of those expensive scales that could record everything and tell me my body fat and all that. I have a cheapy one now

No, I haven't earned the maintainers' forum

All the time! Mainly when I am feeling like I will never see a loss or when I have zero motivation to do anything.

Yes, I had lost 40 lbs before and was at 150 and I took it for granted, I still felt huge and not pretty, but looking back I was and I should've realized that, but it took gaining the weight back to really see what I had done.

When people aren't around I drink tons and tons of tea. My boyfriend thinks it's crazy how much I drink in one day so I kinda hide it I get the Lipton Diet Green Tea Liters and can drink 3 or more in a day. Easier not to let people in on that one
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

1. Care to tell us your real first name? Tonia

2. Give us one tip about healthier eating. Anything in moderation. I live by this 'cause as soon as I am told I cannot have it, I want it!

3. Give us one tip about increasing activity. Start slow and increase regularly. Push yourself to places you never thought you would go - then go farther!

4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss? I have lost about a third of what I would like to lose....so, I have a lot left to lose.

5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more. TBL Calorie book - love it!

6. One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have. A heart rate monitor. I am not convinced the ones on the machines at the gym work.

7. Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum? Yep.

8. How many times per week do you read in the Goal! threads? Goodness. Regularly as it is soooo motivational!

9. Are you guilty of not recognising your own acomplishments? Absolutely. Like I said I have lost about a third of what I would like to lose (30 pounds) and yet I don't FEEL any smaller. I have more energy and I fit into clothes I couldn't fit into before but I don't feel smaller.

10. Something about you that not many people know. Hmmm...I feel funny saying this () but I love tea. There is nothing better than an iced vanilla chai or just plain ole' black tea. Can I count it as water?

Last edited by Tonia; 03-03-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

We did this in the featherweights forum and it was fun. So I thought I'd post it here ... for more fun!

... here's a thread to add a little levity to the dark days of late winter.

starts with a "K"

Plan, plan, plan

Park further away.

Plenty to lose.

I've checked "South Beach Diet Good Fats, Good Carbs" guide out of the library and will probably buy it when the new version comes out.

Hand weights and bench (would like)

Yes

Whenever it looks like there's a new goal achieved.

Sometimes.

I didn't discover coffee until I was 52. And then it wasn't coffee but espresso. (ok, I didn't discover coffee, I've never liked coffee. I was very surprised to learn I like espresso.)
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Allison (see signature)

I follow the principles of the Superfoods Rx diet for the most part, but basically I'm all for low cal, low fat and whole grain.

Running is fun! Who knew that at age 44 I'd start running!

Just a few more, which seem to be the hardest to lose.

I love good pots--I need a few more in the right sizes, but feel like they're too much of an extravagance. All that from someone who bought a chafing dish that gets used only once a year.

Nope. I post there regularly!

Rarely. I think I've read all the old ones and I do read the new ones if I "know" the poster.

Probably to a point.

I used to be a ski instructor. And now I haven't skied for over 20 years. How sad is that? But I just got back from a week in SLC in the snow and I really don't miss that cold, dreary winter--I much prefer the southern California desert!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
1. Care to tell us your real first name? Tonia
I named my daughter this, thinking it was a unique spelling. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone else with it spelled like this. I also added an E on the end of Lynne to make it unique too. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

1. Care to tell us your real first name? ~Teresa

2. Give us one tip about healthier eating. ~Cook from a list of fresh ingredients as much as possible and avoid eating out as much as possible.

3. Give us one tip about increasing activity. ~Put one foot in front of the other and soon you will be walking out the door!

4. Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss? ~A LONG way to go!

5. Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more. ~I bought the YOU are on a diet book after joining this board. I liked it a lot.

6. One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have. ~I would love to have my own elliptical and would use it in the evenings.

7. Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum? ~I used to a lot and really should start doing so again.

8. How many times per week do you read in the Goal! threads? ~once or twice.

9. Are you guilty of not recognising your own accomplishments? ~Yes

10. Something about you that not many people know. ~I'm about to finish college and go back into the workforce and I am scared no one will take me seriously and give me a job where I can excel and advance in.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Amy, Ames Jo, or Ambriehl. Depends on who you talk to.

Try to think about the nutritional value of the food, and what it can do for your body. Just because something is low calorie or fat free, does not mean that it is healthy.

Move. Move. Move. Activity doesn't always mean weights, jogging, etc. Park in a space further out from the store. Play outside with your kids. Take your children to the zoo and walk around all afternoon, instead of going to the movies and sitting for two hours.

my weight loss has been like so:
Have child-gain weight-lose the weight-maintain.

Get pregnant with second child-gain weight-lose the weight...

Get pregnant with third child-gain weight...and now I am losing from my third and last child. After this I will go into maintenance, because I am not having any more kiddos.

Yes. I have purchased many products, books, clothing items, food items, etc. based on recommendations here.

My favorite new gadget is my scale. It does not only weight, but body fat percentage AND body fat in pounds. It also gives you your BMI, checks your water hydration, and your bone mass. LOVE this thing.

I don't lurk...I post now and then.

I only read there about once a month.

At times...

I am a wine lover, and I go to wineries and do tastings, etc. and I keep a wine journal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Alicia. I've been going by 'Li' around non-family members.
It's a great idea to learn to enjoy eating healthful foods.
"Sneak" it in. Take the long way, opt for stairs instead of the elevator, go get something yourself instead of asking whoever is near it to get it for you, et cetera.
Heh heh.. not even close.
Nope.
I'd like to get my paws on a food scale.
Nope.
Every time there's a new goal, or otherwise when I need extra motivation.
Very, very, very much so. I'm working on that.
Deep down, I'm really a major nerd.... When people see me, they tend to think that I'm evil or have an extremely dark personality or something. But I'm really just into a bunch of "nerdy" stuff
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Care to tell us your real first name?
Charise

Give us one tip about healthier eating.
Try to eat food that is as close to the original food source as possible (i.e. eat an orange versus juice, brown rice versus white rice.) I know this isn't always possible, but you get more nutrients from food that isn't overly processed.

Give us one tip about increasing activity.
Go out of your way to be inefficient. Don't try to unload everything from the car at once, take lots of trips back and forth, park your car far from the store, use stairs not elevators, etc. I walk for exercise and whenever possible I leave my car at home and walk to my destination.

Do you have just a few pounds to lose or are you almost at goal from a larger weight loss?
I've been maintaining a 60+ lb weight loss for about 6 months now, but lately I've been thinking of losing another 10 lbs. I'm still trying to decide.

Have you purchased a book or magazine because a 3FCer recommended it? Tell us more.
Just the Women's Day that Glory was in. I also found 3fatchicks from the 3fc's book that I picked up at the library.

One health gadget you have or one you'd like to have.
I <3 my food scale!

Do you lurk in the Maintainers' forum?
Yes and sometimes I even post!

Are you guilty of not recognising your own acomplishments?
Aren't we all at times?
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Charise! Your name is Charise!? I never knew that. It's very nice name. Much nicer than zenor
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote